Growatt inverter spf 5000ES with dyness 2.4kw battery setup

TJ Human

13 hours ago, Buyeye said:

I googled an answer for you. [quote=]"If you are talking about lithium ion batteries, the last 20% is slower due to recharge circuitry programming. Initially, the battery is in a constant-current charge sequence where it might be charging at a high rate (a rate that would charge the entire capacity of the battery in 1 hr). As the battery charges, the voltage rises. Once it reaches a pre-programmed maximum voltage the system switches to constant-voltage charging, variable current (see the plateau in the charge curve below). The cell demands less and less current as the battery reaches a fully charged state. By the end it is demanding only a few milliamps. It could go faster if the charger would increase the charging voltage, but this can cause bad things to happen and shorten the cycle life of the battery"[/quote]
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-last-20-of-a-battery-take-longer-to-charge-than-the-rest?top_ans=1004758#:~:text=If you are talking,life of the battery

Yeah but it was stuck on 99% for 4 hours and "charged" 2kWh, which is actually over 20% of it's capacity...

I'm just hoping it's some kind of initial balancing or calibration or something that will sort itself out after a few cycles.

So we got a decent amount of sun yesterday. Panel charging power dropped to 500w at 96%, then shortly after reaching 99% it dropped to 300w, then 150w, 60w, 30w and eventually 15w of charging power.

That's when I disconnected the battery because I wanted to install the trunking to make it all look nice.

So it looks like it is working as it should, it isn't "overcharging" like it seemed to be doing on it's first cycle, since the charging power now drops to virtually zero.

So even though it never get's past 99% it is essentially 100% charged.

Who knows, maybe in a few days it will say 100% but either way it's not an issue.

Thanks to everyone on here for all the helpful info and advice!

Edited by tetrasection

33 minutes ago, tetrasection said:

Ok everything makes sense again. I thought it was very strange that @Dyness told you that your firmware was out of date and then Rectron said it wasn't.

Yes,they sent me a mail saying it is up to date,but when I phoned they said they got the new firmware and was bussy updating already. But so far everything is running smoothly.

On 2021/06/12 at 10:35 AM, tetrasection said:

I'm pretty sure I read that you use the CAN bus and then use protocol 52

This is correct. When I had the 5000es i used the CAN port and protocol 52. The setting did work. I had an old firmware on my inverter though so was getting some crazy recharge amps. I believe the firmware update fixed this issue, but cannot confirm as I never did it on the Growatt

Edit.. my bad. Just noticed i responded to old posts. The conversation clearly progressed some beyond this. Apologies

Edited by GTP

12 hours ago, thoc said:

Im really contemplating trying CAN and protocol 52 then since I'm so lazy and not keen on disconnecting the batteries and driving to Rectron 😆

My biggest priority at the time was getting the battery communicating via the port, and not using voltages. The CAN port and protocol 52 definitely did that. The issue I had (presumably because of older firmware) was that many fields including the charge rate from utility was fixed and could not be changed. Its as if the BMS locked in settings. Operationally this translated to solar power being throttled in SUB mode. It also meant spikes to 4kw odd at night for charging. SBU setting worked fine except for the 90a charge setting.

If your inverter has the updated firmware, I guess it should work fine. Let us know how it goes if you try it

• 8 months later...

Hi guys. My inverter has been working 100% since last year and updating the battery software. Tonight suddenly during loadshedding my inverter runs on 30% load and then just suddenly shuts down completely. Has anyone had the same problem before?

On 2022/04/23 at 1:35 AM, TJ Human said:

@Dyness I see the batterys alarm light is flickering and making a beeping noise. Could theat be the problem and what could the reason be?

Please contact me:

Whatsapp:+8617625812876

e-mail:[email protected]

1. What is your battery model? How many batteries are used in parallel?

2. Does it communicate with the inverter? What are the parameters for charging and discharging settings? What is the cutoff value?

3. What is the voltage and SOC of the battery when the fault occurs?

5 hours ago, Dyness said:

Please contact me:

Whatsapp:+8617625812876

e-mail:[email protected]

1. What is your battery model? How many batteries are used in parallel?

2. Does it communicate with the inverter? What are the parameters for charging and discharging settings? What is the cutoff value?

3. What is the voltage and SOC of the battery when the fault occurs?

Hi. It is a B4850 2.4kwh battery pack and is only 1 battery at the moment. It does communicate with the inverter threw comms cable. Set to lithium and protocol 1(the voltage setting are preset for that setting on the inverter if I am correct?). The state of charge was 94% and and voltage was 49.8. I was standing next to it and my wife put on the microwave and it ran for 5 seconds and then just everything goes dark. Never happend before,but with all the loadshedding could it be that the battery maybe was not completely fully charged?

18 hours ago, TJ Human said:

Hi. It is a B4850 2.4kwh battery pack and is only 1 battery at the moment. It does communicate with the inverter threw comms cable. Set to lithium and protocol 1(the voltage setting are preset for that setting on the inverter if I am correct?). The state of charge was 94% and and voltage was 49.8. I was standing next to it and my wife put on the microwave and it ran for 5 seconds and then just everything goes dark. Never happend before,but with all the loadshedding could it be that the battery maybe was not completely fully charged?

The maximum output power of a battery is about 1200W, how much power is your load? Because the battery makes a bibi sound, it indicates that the battery is over-discharged or over-current. According to the voltage and SOC of your battery, it is normal. So I judge that the fault of your battery is an over-current alarm. You should consider adding one more battery or multiple battery packs. , to ensure that the output of the battery can fully guarantee the normal operation of the load.

6 hours ago, Dyness said:

The maximum output power of a battery is about 1200W, how much power is your load? Because the battery makes a bibi sound, it indicates that the battery is over-discharged or over-current. According to the voltage and SOC of your battery, it is normal. So I judge that the fault of your battery is an over-current alarm. You should consider adding one more battery or multiple battery packs. , to ensure that the output of the battery can fully guarantee the normal operation of the load.

@Dyness thanks that makes sense. I think I know what the problem was now. The irrigation pump went on deu to a leaking pipe and I think that is what drew too uch power from the battery. Need to add a few more battery packs for sure.

48 minutes ago, TJ Human said:

@Dyness thanks that makes sense. I think I know what the problem was now. The irrigation pump went on deu to a leaking pipe and I think that is what drew too uch power from the battery. Need to add a few more battery packs for sure.

Now the reason for your battery alarm is that the load power is too large and exceeds the energy that the battery can output.

15 hours ago, TJ Human said:

@DynessOk so the only way is to add more battery packs?

According to my judgment, if your current battery has no other problems, you just need to increase the capacity of the battery to get more power output and the problem can be solved.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey guys, long time! :)

I've recently bought a new Dyness BX51100 5.12kWh battery to go along with my system (Growatt SPF 5000 ES, 2x Dyness B4850 2.4kWh batteries). With the new battery as the host I've been able to get things working using LI Protocol 51 & Dip Switch on 0100. 

Everything seems to work fine but randomly after like 5hrs or so I get error 20 (BMS Comms issue) on the inverter and we lose power. After a couple of minutes the inverter reconnects to the BMS and we're fine again for a couple of hours. Sometimes it does this 2-5 times after each other before it connects fine again and runs. 

I've not been able to figure out why it happens but its probably not random, what I've seen last night for example is when the inverter was suppose to switch back from battery to grid it happened again. Any ideas would help?

I know @Buyeye mentions protocol 52 but that doesnt work my end it then errors with 04 and 20. Now my firmware is still 040.03/041.03 so I've grabbed the latest & will upgrade it sometime tonight/tomorrow but am not sure if that'll resolve it?

image.thumb.png.9d76001a1340c23a6ff9bb3243dd2058.png
Those drops shows where & how often it happens.

Edited by thoc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...