Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello

New guy here. I have 2 (almost ) full days of research under the belt and tired to absorb as much knowledge as I could muster. I'm a complete noob with no electrical background, but have been toying with the idea of becoming self sufficient when it comes to electricity supply, or at least make a start towards that goal.

From all my researching, and recommendations, I have my heart set on a SunSynk 8K and either a Hubble AM2 or Pylon 5K battery to start off with to at least initially help with load shedding, but ultimately, in addition be 90+ % self sufficient if not 100%. I know I have a long journey ahead of me, and I have SO much to learn, especially not being as clued up as many of you are, but I need to start somewhere.

My daily draw is about 25-30KWh. It's a new house with all LED lights, A Heatpump ( 5Kw ) with 2x 200L Geysers and a 100L geyser for the kitchen on Solar already. I have two aircons installed, but have hardly used them so far. I have a water pump for my two water tanks ( 1KW ) , a Kettle 2.4KW and the usual Washing machine, dishwasher etc. Also have Gas hob and Electric stove combo.

So I guess the typical household of 4/5

Now I know may will sya- just geta small inverter and battery to cover loadshedding, but I have more in mind - looking to the future, because it doesnt look like things are going to get any better, in fact , i think it will just get worse, so I want to go BIG ( or at least as BIG as I can from the outset ) and grow from there.

I'm in two minds if I should go for a 8K or 5K SunSync, but I guess the 8K will be more future proof ? The Solar Panels can come later, so I may just get a couple initially. or hold off till funds permit. Same with batteries.

 

Anyway - glad to be here. Hope to learn a lot from you all.

 

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

Welcome to a wealth of knowledge.

Sounds like you want to be where I am😉

🤔You are correct 8k Sunsynk with atleast 2 x UP5000 and build from there in my opinion (Warning!!! its a rabbit hole financially but well worth it)

Put heat pump on Aux port when you installed solar

Edited by Quwatush Shams (Suly)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You won't go wrong with a Sunsynk. For your loads I would suggest the 8kw or if funds is a problem start with a 5kw and add another at a later stage, hey we all had to start somewhere... We started just with the 5kw Sunsynk inverter got Hubble batteries a month or so later and later the panels. Running completely off grid now with a normal geyser, water pumps, borehole pump, fridges and so forth but I do have a gas stove/oven.

You could always have a chat to Steve from Powerforum-store he's really helpful when it comes to  explaining things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, pdswardt said:

Hello

New guy here. I have 2 (almost ) full days of research under the belt and tired to absorb as much knowledge as I could muster. I'm a complete noob with no electrical background, but have been toying with the idea of becoming self sufficient when it comes to electricity supply, or at least make a start towards that goal.

From all my researching, and recommendations, I have my heart set on a SunSynk 8K and either a Hubble AM2 or Pylon 5K battery to start off with to at least initially help with load shedding, but ultimately, in addition be 90+ % self sufficient if not 100%. I know I have a long journey ahead of me, and I have SO much to learn, especially not being as clued up as many of you are, but I need to start somewhere.

My daily draw is about 25-30KWh. It's a new house with all LED lights, A Heatpump ( 5Kw ) with 2x 200L Geysers and a 100L geyser for the kitchen on Solar already. I have two aircons installed, but have hardly used them so far. I have a water pump for my two water tanks ( 1KW ) , a Kettle 2.4KW and the usual Washing machine, dishwasher etc. Also have Gas hob and Electric stove combo.

So I guess the typical household of 4/5

Now I know may will sya- just geta small inverter and battery to cover loadshedding, but I have more in mind - looking to the future, because it doesnt look like things are going to get any better, in fact , i think it will just get worse, so I want to go BIG ( or at least as BIG as I can from the outset ) and grow from there.

I'm in two minds if I should go for a 8K or 5K SunSync, but I guess the 8K will be more future proof ? The Solar Panels can come later, so I may just get a couple initially. or hold off till funds permit. Same with batteries.

 

Anyway - glad to be here. Hope to learn a lot from you all.

 

Cheers

Hello and welcome.

With your daily consumption which is almost 3x my own, I would definitely consider an 8K Sunsynk. Its smaller brother (5.5K) has served me very well for over 1 year.

+1 for Steve at the Powerforumstore, there are few with his knowledge, industry experience and insight. Plus he's a hell of a nice guy, and their pricing is very competitive. Always a pleasure dealing with the Powerforumstore.

Edited by YellowTapemeasure
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the SunSync 8.8 Kw inverter be careful matching your batteries to the machine. Make sure your batteries can supply the max load you expect to have, otherwise you could have battery warranty issues, or at best, the inverter will just switch off. Of course we are talking about the machine working through load-shedding and using the batteries.

The max DC draw from batteries for the 8.8Kw machine is a decent 190A.

See Picture for specs.

 

SunSync_8.8Kw_inverter_20211025_S.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, help me out here....

 

If I can afford only ONE Hubble AM2 at this stage. Will that be detrimental to the battery and/or the whole solution as long as I keep the power draw in line with the specs of the battery - ie not exceed my load by 5Kw? And what if I add another AM2 maybe a year down the line, then one of them already have a year's worth of service so they are basically out of sync in terms of their cycle count - is that a bad thing?, or not something to be overly concerned about ?

 

Thanks for your input.

Edited by pdswardt
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, pdswardt said:

So, help me out here....

 

If I can afford only ONE Hubble AM2 at this stage. Will that be detrimental to the battery and/or the whole solution as long as I keep the power draw in line with the specs of the battery - ie not exceed my load by 5Kw? And what if I add another AM2 maybe a year down the line, then one of them already have a year's worth of service so they are basically out of sync in terms of their cycle count - is that a bad thing?, or not something to be overly concerned about ?

 

Thanks for your input.

Yes you are correct, just limit the charge /discharge rate on the inverter to 100Amps for the AM-2 (50 Amps for the UP5000). On your second point , yes they will have a difference in cycles but this is not really something to stress about, especially if they are only 1 year apart.

Edited by Nexuss
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nexuss said:

Yes you are correct, just limit the charge /discharge rate on the inverter to 100Amps for the AM-2 (50 Amps for the UP5000). On your second point , yes they will have a difference in cycles but this is not really something to stress about, especially if they are only 1 year apart.

Please educate me, how did you come up with 50A for the UP5000? The usable capacity of that battery is 4560Wh, which roughly gives me 95A and the spec says the battery is a 110Ah battery. Am I missing something?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, hoohloc said:

Please educate me, how did you come up with 50A for the UP5000? The usable capacity of that battery is 4560Wh, which roughly gives me 95A and the spec says the battery is a 110Ah battery. Am I missing something?

Hi there sure thing . From the Spec sheet:

Charge / Discharge Current (Amps)

50A(Continuous) 74-89A(60sec)

90-200A([email protected]

 

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1178/7780/files/Pylon_UP5000_4.8kWh_Li-Ion_Solar_Battery_48V.pdf?v=1623737342

Edited by Nexuss
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nexuss said:

Hi there sure thing . From the Spec sheet:

Charge / Discharge Current (Amps)

50A(Continuous) 74-89A(60sec)

90-200A([email protected]

 

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1178/7780/files/Pylon_UP5000_4.8kWh_Li-Ion_Solar_Battery_48V.pdf?v=1623737342

Then its better to just get 2 x US2000 batteries than this UP5000 because you can have 32A continuous draw from each 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Nexuss said:

But the spec says Recommended discharge is 25A and Max you can discharge is 50A. Where do you get the 25A continuous from? 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, hoohloc said:

But the spec says Recommended discharge is 25A and Max you can discharge is 50A. Where do you get the 25A continuous from? 😁

The recommended Amps is the continuous draw amps on the spec sheet.  The max Amps is only for 1 minute and peak amps for 15 secs .

Edited by Nexuss
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Nexuss said:

Yes you are correct, just limit the charge /discharge rate on the inverter to 100Amps for the AM-2 (50 Amps for the UP5000). On your second point , yes they will have a difference in cycles but this is not really something to stress about, especially if they are only 1 year apart.

This is how I started, only one Hubble AM-2, and the next month I got the second one. Like "Nexuss" says, just set the battery current on the inverter. If there is load-shedding or a power failure, while the house is drawing more than 5Kw, the inverter WILL shut down, and issue a fault alarm, but nothing will be damaged. Switch the heavy loads off, and power on the inverter with the green on/off button on the side, and carry on as if though there is no load-shedding. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks - there is the question though of weather the warranty will be affected by not using the required battery capacity that a 8Kw inverter requires ( ie. I should probably get 2 x AM-2's or 2 x Pylon 5000's to satisfy the required draw of the inverter ) ? Someone made me aware of that today, so I tried to call SunSynk to find out, but their SA number went straight to voicemail ( I asked for a call back though )

So not sure if running the 8K on a single AM-2 will void the warranty on the inverter

Thanks for everyone's advice thus far !

Appreciated.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It should not be voiding any warranties . Just make sure you set it all up correctly. So for instance if you have an 50Amp battery or 100Amp battery set parameters correctly on the inverter and then make sure you physically have not got anything wired to the load side of the inverter that can draw more than what your battery/ies can handle continuously. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No worries about voiding the inverter warranty by installing batteries that can't supply enough current for the load. this will NOT void the inverter warranty, as it is the same situation that will occur if the batteries go flat, i.e "min SOC", shutdown "State Of Charge", the inverter will just shut down (Switch off). :)

The problem is with the batteries warranty, if you set batteries discharge or charge higher than the batteries can handle, the inverter will try and draw more than the batteries can supply, and the batteries BMS will switch the batteries off, and possibly log an exception, which could affect later warranty claims.

If all is set correctly, no worries, but no huge (+5Kw) loads during load-shedding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

You won't be sorry about installing the 8kV as juggling loads is usually avoided. It takes all the worry out of normal household chores as it can handle three or four appliances under 2000 W with ease without tripping. Also think of using the auxiliary output for powering your geyser once the batteries are 100%. It is very easy to switch the auxiliary onto the grid on rainy days. On hot days I run a 24btu aircon constantly with my two Hubble batteries never less than 95% but usually 100% by the end of the day. I have an East West configuration with only five 390W panels on both sides. When the sun is shining the batteries are 100% by 10h30 to 11h00. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2021/10/25 at 2:34 PM, pdswardt said:

Hello

New guy here. I have 2 (almost ) full days of research under the belt and tired to absorb as much knowledge as I could muster. I'm a complete noob with no electrical background, but have been toying with the idea of becoming self sufficient when it comes to electricity supply, or at least make a start towards that goal.

From all my researching, and recommendations, I have my heart set on a SunSynk 8K and either a Hubble AM2 or Pylon 5K battery to start off with to at least initially help with load shedding, but ultimately, in addition be 90+ % self sufficient if not 100%. I know I have a long journey ahead of me, and I have SO much to learn, especially not being as clued up as many of you are, but I need to start somewhere.

My daily draw is about 25-30KWh. It's a new house with all LED lights, A Heatpump ( 5Kw ) with 2x 200L Geysers and a 100L geyser for the kitchen on Solar already. I have two aircons installed, but have hardly used them so far. I have a water pump for my two water tanks ( 1KW ) , a Kettle 2.4KW and the usual Washing machine, dishwasher etc. Also have Gas hob and Electric stove combo.

So I guess the typical household of 4/5

Now I know may will sya- just geta small inverter and battery to cover loadshedding, but I have more in mind - looking to the future, because it doesnt look like things are going to get any better, in fact , i think it will just get worse, so I want to go BIG ( or at least as BIG as I can from the outset ) and grow from there.

I'm in two minds if I should go for a 8K or 5K SunSync, but I guess the 8K will be more future proof ? The Solar Panels can come later, so I may just get a couple initially. or hold off till funds permit. Same with batteries.

 

Anyway - glad to be here. Hope to learn a lot from you all.

 

Cheers

Welcome to the forum and if you have not bought your equipment, do not go searching on funny websites, you will get scammed. There is reliable solar equipment suppliers mentioned in the forum, buy form there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...