Black Friday Specials

Scubadude

Alright, a little misleading ... I dont have BF specials, I'm looking for one.

Think I narrowed down my requirement to +/- 6kWp of mono-crystaline PV panels, 8 kVA Sunsynk / Deye / Fusion inverter and 8-10 kWh of LiFePO4.  R100k fully installed Pretoria East would be too much to ask for, but if anyone sees anything along these lined pop up in the next week please let me know.

Thanks!

Francois

4 minutes ago, Scubadude said:

Alright, a little misleading ... I dont have BF specials, I'm looking for one.

Think I narrowed down my requirement to +/- 6kWp of mono-crystaline PV panels, 8 kVA Sunsynk / Deye / Fusion inverter and 8-10 kWh of LiFePO4.  R100k fully installed Pretoria East would be too much to ask for, but if anyone sees anything along these lined pop up in the next week please let me know.

Thanks!

Francois

Some quick math, without getting quotes together!

Inverter R30K (very little to be saved here)

6kW panels = R35K "ditto"

10kW battery = R60K (maybe save a few RK here)..

Installation R20k, misc R5k (zero to be saved here)

Total = +- R150K...I think you'd be lucky to get away with R150K with those requirements even on a BF/Christmas special.

On 2021/11/16 at 2:13 PM, valienté said:

Also been shopping around, per KVA it is better to get a 5kVa now for 19k and then add another later as needed. Not exactly what you wanted but much closer to your budget.

---SNIPPED by Mods-----

Excludes Installation and Miscellaneous items...

I plan to leave space to easily add another 5kVa Inverter, another set of eTower batteries and also another 8-10 Panels

Those CS 595W panels are not good for the 5kW SunSynk inverter. Their current is too high and will be a waste. They are batter matched with the 8kW SunSynk. For the smaller inverter, better choose other panels.

I am no professional and have ZERO hands on experience - Only been doing research for around a Month now...

Also remember to check String Input data, i.e the Voltages and Power coming from PV into your Inverter.
For instance, the 5kVa as mentioned above can handle 6500W and up to 500V

10 x 595W Panels will produce 5950W with a VoC of 411V - Thus I can't run much more on this single Inverter

@PowerUser Please check the above? Where am I going wrong?

Edited by valienté

1 minute ago, valienté said:

I am no professional and have ZERO hands on experience - Only been doing research for around a Month now...

Also remember to check String Input data, i.e the Voltages and Power coming from PV into your Inverter.
For instance, the 5kVa as mentioned above can handle 6500W and up to 500V

10 x 595W Panels will produce 5950W with a VoC of 411V - Thus I can't run much more on this single Inverter

@PowerUser Please check the above? Where am I going wrong?

The current on those panels is too high! It's not only the voltage and watts that matters!

2 minutes ago, PowerUser said:

The current on those panels is too high! It's not only the voltage and watts that matters!

Ah yeah you are totally correct - They are  18A  each where the 5kVa Inverter can only handle 11A per MPPT

So 12 x 490w will give you almost the same Wattage but at the correct Current, however then you will be surpassing the Max Voltage 🙈

44 minutes ago, valienté said:

Ah yeah you are totally correct - They are  18A  each where the 5kVa Inverter can only handle 11A per MPPT

So 12 x 490w will give you almost the same Wattage but at the correct Current, however then you will be surpassing the Max Voltage 🙈

You can use this guide for strings calculations:

https://unboundsolar.com/blog/string-sizing-guide

However, keep in mind the max current per MPPT because the formulas, don't account for it.

Edited by PowerUser

1 hour ago, Scubadude said:

Looks like I got lucky ...

8kW Deye, 2 x 5.1kWh Shoto and 12 x 440W panels installed with COC for R100 less than R130 000.  Dont know if there will be anything keener than this on offer.  These guys seem to have a good track record of residential and commercial installations. Is Deye truly identical to Sunsynk in terms of quality, interface, firmware, etc.?

NoDistSolar?

If so, they did an install for an old boss of mine, he's very happy with his setup

On 2021/11/16 at 1:46 PM, Scubadude said:

8 kVA Sunsynk / Deye / Fusion inverter

I also originally wanted to go the 8kVA route - but then decided on 2x 5kVA instead. Yes, a bit more expensive - but also 2x as many MPPTs and hence bigger flexibility. And my parallel setup runs stable as a rock

2 hours ago, Scubadude said:

Been wondering about that ... Does all the panels in a string have to have the same orientation. If so 2 x 5kW may just serve my needs better as I want to have some east and west facing panels to grab early and late light.

The 8kW sunsync has 4 strings on 2 MPPT's, 2 on each, you can have each string or multiple facing different directions. 11kW PV max..If you consider that 11kW PV will give you approximately 60kWh/day in summer and 40kWh/day in winter and you don't have a load that will absorb that power you will be "wasting" power, irrespective of 2 * 5kW inverters or 1 * 8kW..... The entire purpose if being grid tied is to generate 90% of what your load is between 11am - 3pm and then use the grid to augment the remainder. Consider that your home will probably have a 60A breaker on the Escom side so thats a max of 13.8W across your entire house - very difficult to use that much power at once.

Edited by FixAMess

OK, getting close to signing on the dotted line. Inverter is Deye ... From first impressions the remote monitoring is not as slick as Sunsynk. Am I right to say the various stick data loggers (WiFi / LAN / GPRS) are optional, not standard? And also there is no Deye specific monitoring platform or app? So what are the options?

What is the price difference between the Deye and Sunsync?...Remember the sunsync will have remote setting change functionality soon, not sure if Deye can do that.

I find with our load shedding on/off/erratic schizophrenic schedule, I need somebody on site at home to change the settings to better manage the load shedding. E.g, when we have load shedding I only use DoD = 10% (on grid) to allow for load shedding issues (like the power does not turn on as per the schedule, or transformer blows ) ...When there is no load shedding, I take the batteries down to D0D = 50%...So if my inverter allowed me to change remotely it would really help (which the Sunsync can/will do but maybe not the Deye??)

11 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

Remember the sunsync will have remote setting change functionality soon, not sure if Deye can do that.

So if my inverter allowed me to change remotely it would really help (which the Sunsync can/will do but maybe not the Deye??)

The Deye inverters now have remote setting changes for Power Management on Solar Assistant.

MdF

51 minutes ago, MdF said:

The Deye inverters now have remote setting changes for Power Management on Solar Assistant.

MdF

That is great news as my installer only uses Deye and me a really great deal, so Sunsynk not presently an option. Also makes my decision of Wifi donlge/Solarman vs RS232-to-USB/Raspberry Pi/ SolarAssistant so much easier. I have an unused Pi 3 which will cope fine wirg running SolarAssistant. Any RSR232-USB cable can work, right? Initially I'll run Solarman on the supplied Wifi dongle, but longer term I'll definitely go the SolarAssistenat route. Planning to run a 10m cable to put the Pi where it is within easy reach of Wifi.  Or maybe just run an ethernet cable?

Edited by Scubadude
Pi 3

1 hour ago, Scubadude said:

That is great news as my installer only uses Deye and me a really great deal, so Sunsynk not presently an option. Also makes my decision of Wifi donlge/Solarman vs RS232-to-USB/Raspberry Pi/ SolarAssistant so much easier. I have an unused Pi 3 which will cope fine wirg running SolarAssistant. Any RSR232-USB cable can work, right? Initially I'll run Solarman on the supplied Wifi dongle, but longer term I'll definitely go the SolarAssistenat route. Planning to run a 10m cable to put the Pi where it is within easy reach of Wifi.  Or maybe just run an ethernet cable?

This is the Power Management tab on Solar Assistant.

PF_PowerManagement_23Nov2021-01.thumb.PNG.2e2763bb6d71d9164c5c51b9ec80128a.PNG

Initially I bought the RS232 cable from Solar Assistant (https://solar-assistant.io/shop/products/sunsynk_rs232) but the serial connector itself was too thick and did not allow for plugging in to the Deye inverter.

Solar Assistant then said to purchase this cable from Takealot and I have not had any problems with it fitting into the Deye inverter (https://www.takealot.com/ce-link-usb-2-0-to-rs232-db9-serial-male-a-2m-cable/PLID51855970)

If you can run an ethernet cable to the Pi, that would be first prize.

MdF

Edited by MdF