Lights flicker when running from Sunsynk 5.5KW inverter

HannesZ

Its always possible to be bad wiring but it makes no sense that it can be bad wiring as there is no flicker when the inviter switch to line mode. The wiring does not change.

Im running 55mm DC wires from the batteries to the inviters. If I measure there is no notable voltage drop but the flicker is there regardless of load when the grid fails. 

So all these lights are wired to essentials. Sunsync should provide a stable pure sine AC output. Check the AC voltage. It does sound like a wire that is not properly torqued and provides a poor connection. 

If you are not the DIY type then get a electrician to troubleshoot. Please provide feedback as this might help other people out there

Edited by iiznh

On 2022/04/20 at 6:36 PM, HannesZ said:

My fluke shows 230.9v where the lights are connected in the house DB. 50hz. I did not manage to bring the scope. Will get that next. 

Sounds like the DIY type to me 🙂

its troubling that the Sunsynk is giving you this problem though. Will be following your progress.

On 2022/04/20 at 6:36 PM, HannesZ said:

My fluke shows 230.9v where the lights are connected in the house DB. 50hz. I did not manage to bring the scope. Will get that next. 

Could you post a picture of your grid page on the settings menu. 

On 2022/04/19 at 8:54 PM, HannesZ said:

all the lights in the house flicker when running from battery with a Sunsynk 5.5KW inverter.

Is there something that can be done to smooth out the output?  will an AC filter inline to the lights help? 

Is the flicker continuous or just at the moment when AC is lost? 

2 hours ago, Quwatush Shams (Suly) said:

Make sure neutrals are not mixed between essentials and non-essentials none to be a cause of such a problem

I have a relay that kicks in when the grid fails. It connects the grid neutral to the output of the inventor neutral. It is there to prevent islanding as the earth spike and the neutrals aren't connected when the grid has failed. 

is there another way to wire the system so that earth for the essential loads still functions but I don't have throbbing lights? 

11 hours ago, TimCam said:

When in load-shedding, trip the Main feed from Eskom (L & N) to make sure there is not some weird artifact been fed in on the mains that affects your inverter.

Good suggestions. will try. Can't believe I am holding thumps for loadshedding 

Flickering lights are usually caused by varying voltages in the supply. 

My guess would be that you have a floating neutral when you are load shedding and that it is not being bonded to the earth. 

I am not sure if you have tested it already or not. If not, I would suggest you disconnect Eskom and then check the voltage between Earth and Neutral. it should be 0.

Would also check the voltage between Live and Earth which should be 230V

I used to have a floating neutral and my LED's used to flicker, they stopped doing it when my neutral was sorted out by my installer.

The floating neutral was also stopping my generator from connecting to the inverter. 

On 2022/04/25 at 7:51 AM, HannesZ said:

It connects the grid neutral to the output of the inventor neutral. It is there to prevent islanding as the earth spike and the neutrals aren't connected when the grid has failed. 

🤔 This relay should not be connected to grid neutral at all. Only inverter output and earth spike, so that when grid is off, your output neutral of inverter is earthed. Input and output neutrals as far as I know must be separated 

Exactly what @Sc00bs said floating neutral 

• 1 year later...

Hey! I recently swopped out my Axpert for a Sunsynk and I started noticing this.

The axpert certainly didn't do this.

It's not a continuous flicker. It's like once every few random seconds. Cant even say it's when a load is applied.

Could you figure it out?

22 hours ago, Adagio said:

Hey! I recently swopped out my Axpert for a Sunsynk and I started noticing this.

The axpert certainly didn't do this.

It's not a continuous flicker. It's like once every few random seconds. Cant even say it's when a load is applied.

Could you figure it out?

Does it flicker when the grid is on or only when supplied by the inverter.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Sc00bs said:

Like I said, you have a floating neutral, your earth and neutral are not bonded together when the inverter is running in Island mode (no grid) 

When it connects to the grid again your E/N are bound at the grid connection. 

Thanks for the video. 

As far as what is correct with N-E bonding this should clarify it. This link was provided by @TaliaB

https://ecasa.co.za/technical/neutral-earth-bonding-clarified/

8 minutes ago, Scorp007 said:

Thanks for the video. 

As far as what is correct with N-E bonding this should clarify it. This link was provided by @TaliaB

https://ecasa.co.za/technical/neutral-earth-bonding-clarified/

I thought that it did but the statement seems to cause more confusion than it answers. 

On the DEYE Whatsapp group, Danie Esterhuizen, Vice Chairman of ECASA, said that it actually means that a hard bond is what needs to be done and linked me to a video explaining it. 

To me the document like they mean a contactor is the way to do it,  @TaliaB would be happy 🙂 , but apparently it doesn't.

Contacor is there. It shorts the neutrals and the earth from the input to the outputs. Also tested it with multimeter and there is dead short when grid is off between the neutral and the earth wires on the output of the inverter as well to the earth spike 

On 2024/02/10 at 8:26 PM, Scorp007 said:

Does it flicker when the grid is on or only when supplied by the inverter.

I notice ot all the time. Not just when LS.

But the wining also happens all the time. So I assume the inverter is always engaged

36 minutes ago, Adagio said:

I notice ot all the time. Not just when LS.

But the wining also happens all the time. So I assume the inverter is always engaged

Although we hear a lot about the flicker and earth-neutral bond. I have several different inverters and even with no bond and no earth none of my LEDs flicker. 

Normally they flicker due to their controllers not making sure the current stays constant. LEDs do pick up the slightest voltage change if the controller are of a cheaper nature. 

It would be interesting to do some tests in a workshop to find the real reason or drivers of the flicker.