Jump to content

Deye Inverter not showing House Consumption when set to Zero Export to CT


murphydrew

Recommended Posts

I have a Deye 5kw hybrid inverter with panels and a 5kw battery.

 I also have the solarman ios app.

My inverter is set to Zero Export to CT as recommended by installers but in that setting the inverter and the app both show house consumption as 0.  
When I change to 'Zero Export to Load' it then does the live house consumption but then the PV wont power the non-essentials which I want them to.

Anyone exprienced this and know a solve?

Also my solarman smart app show the battery on the dashboard.

Anyone know how to keep Zero Export to CT and still see consumption?
Thanks

Inverter.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, mzezman said:

Where is your CT installed? And is it installed correctly? 

I'm not sure - I had a solar company (reputable one) install it, so I presume it was correctly done. 

 

 

15 hours ago, frivan said:

Check that the battery is set up correctly. Also, the CT ratio should be 2000:1

What constitutes 'correct' settings for the battery? It works when there is loadshedding. 
Ill check the ratio thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Was it perhaps solaradvice?

Had the 8kw deye also installed and have the same issue.

zero consumption when grid is on. Only when grid is off, house consumption shows.

Let me know if you found something, will reply if I do

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just fixed a friends Deye 16kw with the same issue - in his case the installer connected the CT clamp to Pin 3 and 4 - where as it should be connected to Pin 5 & 6 (according to his manual) ... solved the issue.

So make sure CT is clamped on in the correct direction (Arrow in the direction of the Inverter) - and then connected to the correct pins.  

Edited by Cyclone_ZAR
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Cyclone_ZAR said:

Just fixed a friends Deye 16kw with the same issue - in his case the installer connected the CT clamp to Pin 3 and 4 - where as it should be connected to Pin 5 & 6 (according to his manual) ... solved the issue.

So make sure CT is clamped on in the correct direction (Arrow in the direction of the Inverter) - and then connected to the correct pins.  

It is amazing partly that installers don't read the manual. 

Recently I indicated to a friend to make sure his installer added the CT with arrow in the right direction. The installer phoned a friend to find out which direction. He got advice to put it in wrong and had to be called out again to correct it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cyclone_ZAR said:

Just fixed a friends Deye 16kw with the same issue - in his case the installer connected the CT clamp to Pin 3 and 4 - where as it should be connected to Pin 5 & 6 (according to his manual) ... solved the issue.

So make sure CT is clamped on in the correct direction (Arrow in the direction of the Inverter) - and then connected to the correct pins.  

Thank you - I really appreciate the response. I'll pass this onto my installer. Hoping for the best. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2023/05/13 at 10:01 AM, Kevin Clayton said:

Hi

Did you find a fix for this issue? I have the same problem. Thanks

No I haven't fixed it. I've just been using ZERO EXPORT TO LOAD so that I can see consumption and also use the TIme of Use settings on the inverter.
Before, my battery wouldn't get used in the evening. Now at least it runs down to about 40% so I have some backup for L/S at night.

But it doesnt feel right still. I want my PV to power my Non-Essential geyser during the day but I cant ever tell if that's happening. Are you expected to see the Solar usage ramp up if it is powering non-essentials during the day? I.e. if the battery is full and the house conusmption is say 400W, would you expect to see the PV usage ramp up to 1kw/2kw if its heating a geyser/pool pump? 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the same issue. If I set zero export to CT then the house load shows zero and the battery charge increases which is not correct as the house load is still working and grid supply doesnt change value. CT is located at the inverter but it shouldnt make a difference as I dont have non essential loads yet. I plan to move the CT when I put some loads on to non essential bus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Stu_D said:

I have the same issue. If I set zero export to CT then the house load shows zero and the battery charge increases which is not correct as the house load is still working and grid supply doesnt change value. CT is located at the inverter but it shouldnt make a difference as I dont have non essential loads yet. I plan to move the CT when I put some loads on to non essential bus.

The CT Coil should not be at the inverter.

It should be at your incoming live wire at your main db bord just after your eskom utility meter. Also make 100% sure the CT coil is wired in at the inverter correctly and pointing in the right direction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi - following this thread. Same issue as described above (5kW Deye), CT installed at the incomer on pins 3 and 4. 

With Zero Export to CT ticked, house consumption drops to zero. With Zero Export to Load ticked we see some consumption.

Obviously want to utilize excess PV for non-essentials like others have mentioned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Tim S said:

Same issue for me, 8kw deye, CT pins connected correctly on 5,6 - support coming through on Friday, will keep you guys posted if we manage to solve the issue.

Please do. My guy is coming today but seems to be more clued up on sunsynk systems unfortunately 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok the guy came. Says I need to have a Smart Load function wiring done to allow non essentials to be powered by the PV. I don’t know why they didn’t do that originally as promised.

 

But my 5kw inverter might not be enough for the 3kw geyser because if someone puts on a kettle while the geyser is on, it will max out over 5kw and trip. Anyone else got their 5kw inverter and geyser being powered by the panels? I have 6x 540W panels.

Good luck all.

They couldn't tell me about zero export to CT why there are no figures being shown. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, murphydrew said:

Ok the guy came. Says I need to have a Smart Load function wiring done to allow non essentials to be powered by the PV. I don’t know why they didn’t do that originally as promised.

 

But my 5kw inverter might not be enough for the 3kw geyser because if someone puts on a kettle while the geyser is on, it will max out over 5kw and trip. Anyone else got their 5kw inverter and geyser being powered by the panels? I have 6x 540W panels.

Good luck all.

They couldn't tell me about zero export to CT why there are no figures being shown. 

I dont think they are right about requiring the use of "smart load". This is what I found:

"Zero Export To Load
In this Mode, the hybrid inverter will only provide power to the backup load connection. The hybrid inverter will neither provide power to the home load nor sell power to grid. The built-in CT will detect power flowing back to the grid and will reduce the power of the inverter only to supply the backup load and charge the battery.

Zero Export To CT
The hybrid inverter will not only provide power to the backup load connected but also give power to the home load connected through the distribution board. An external CT will detect whether power is flowing back to the grid. The inverter will then reduce its output power to supply only the loads and charge the battery. If there is insufficient PV and battery power to power the loads, additional power will be taken from the grid. The hybrid inverter will not sell power to grid."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, murphydrew said:

Ok the guy came. Says I need to have a Smart Load function wiring done to allow non essentials to be powered by the PV. I don’t know why they didn’t do that originally as promised.

 

But my 5kw inverter might not be enough for the 3kw geyser because if someone puts on a kettle while the geyser is on, it will max out over 5kw and trip. Anyone else got their 5kw inverter and geyser being powered by the panels? I have 6x 540W panels.

Good luck all.

They couldn't tell me about zero export to CT why there are no figures being shown. 

Your inverter won't trip if the geyser is on the non-essential load. If it is making your inverter trip, that means it is connected as one of your essential loads. Or possibly it's connected as a Smart Load, but that is something different to the non-essentials.

Also, if you've got 6x540W panels connected, it's probably not ideal to put the geyser on Smart Load. Somewhat little peak solar relative to the geyser's demand. You'll probably keep draining the battery on warming up the geyser half the time anyway, or it may too often just not run. I'd consider just leaving it on non-essentials. Just my 2c.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, GreenFields said:

 

Also, if you've got 6x540W panels connected, it's probably not ideal to put the geyser on Smart Load. Somewhat little peak solar relative to the geyser's demand. You'll probably keep draining the battery on warming up the geyser half the time anyway, or it may too often just not run. I'd consider just leaving it on non-essentials. Just my 2c.

Thanks for the tips. Are you saying with only 6 panels there's not enough there to power the geyser from surplus? Even if it stays on the non essentials?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, murphydrew said:

Thanks for the tips. Are you saying with only 6 panels there's not enough there to power the geyser from surplus? Even if it stays on the non essentials?

If the 6 panels provide 2100W and the geyser needs 3000W then it should use the surplus but also draw 900W from the grid. But your house might need a base load so it might draw more from the grid. 

The answer was perhaps in order to drive the geyser with only the smart load power. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, murphydrew said:

Thanks for the tips. Are you saying with only 6 panels there's not enough there to power the geyser from surplus? Even if it stays on the non essentials?

On non-essentials it's no problem, the inverter can divert any surplus to the non-essential loads as long as the grid is up, and supply the rest from grid.

On the smart load it works on a set of conditions. If you've got enough solar and battery available, then the geyser will be allowed to run, even if there's no grid available.  Problem is if you've only got just over 3kW of panels, you'll very seldom be able to cover the 3kW demand of the geyser from solar, so you'd be forced to either not use the Smart Load function very much to turn on the geyser, or else you'd have to allow the geyser to run on a lower value, say 2kW, and take the balance from the battery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it true that if you have something powered by the Panels then the battery will try power it during loadshedding?

I.e. You can't have the panels give surplus power to the pool pump/geyser and let the grid top it up if need be but when theres loadshedding they dont work at all? That would be ideal as I dont want my geyser running down my small battery. But my installers are saying if you want the panels to give power to something, the battery WILL try power it when theres loadshedding. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, murphydrew said:

Is it true that if you have something powered by the Panels then the battery will try power it during loadshedding?

I.e. You can't have the panels give surplus power to the pool pump/geyser and let the grid top it up if need be but when theres loadshedding they dont work at all? That would be ideal as I dont want my geyser running down my small battery. But my installers are saying if you want the panels to give power to something, the battery WILL try power it when theres loadshedding. 

Hi there,

No. Your panels can and should (if export to CT is set up correctly) provide surplus energy to your non-essentials (pool pump and geyser in your case). And your pool pump and geyser will not be supplied by your inverter during load shedding.

So the "ideal" scenario you describe is absolutely possible, your installer is not correct.

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat of trying to get this resolved! Load to CT ticked in the mean time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...