Solis S6 Pro Hybrid Inverter Review

i @cp69

So any reviews from your S6 would really like to hear your feedback on this inverter.

At this stage I have it with me and it looks great 🙂 I am still waiting for batteries and BMS to arrive(DIY build). Should be end of this month. Panels are going up this weekend so hopefully the S6 will be connected and running(without batteries) by the end of next week

At this stage I have it with me and it looks great 🙂 I am still waiting for batteries and BMS to arrive(DIY build). Should be end of this month. Panels are going up this weekend so hopefully the S6 will be connected and running(without batteries) by the end of next week

Cool, let us know how it goes, I might also go the route of no battery for now while I try and find one that "works" with both the inverter and the wallet 😅

I recently decided to give the new Solis S6 inverter (S6-EH1P6K-L-PRO) a long test drive by replacing the 4-year-old Goodwe 5048ES at my home with the Solis. The purpose of this was to evaluate the performance of the inverter in a real-use environment over an extended period, and largely compare it to its closest Sunsynk equivalent, which is a favourite local hybrid option.

Since the inverter is located in a noise-sensitive location, I opted for the largest fan-free version, which is the 6 kW model, and this sports a large passive-cooled heatsink on the back of the inverter, as per Sunsynk and Goodwe. The 8 kW model uses fans for forced-air cooling and until I’ve heard the noise profile of the fans, which can often be more miss than hit with inverters, the 6 kW version sounded like the best fit. I had initially planned on using a single 5kW Sunsynk and then possibly expanding to two in parallel over time but decided that given the apparent attractiveness of the offer, the Solis warranted some investigation.

Specification-wise, the Solis looks compelling, with a price tag of the 6 kW version essentially matching the ubiquitous and benchmark 5 kW Sunsynk, with both inverters being NRS certified for South Africa and offered with a 5 year warranty. It does have some notable features, besides the obvious power output advantage, that make it stand out though. It has wide voltage range MPPTs that startup and operate from 90V making an array starting with three panels possible. It’s upper MPPT (520V), maximum operating voltage (600V), and peak operating current (16A) are also higher than the Sunsynk. This all ends up with the total maximum PV input power on the Solis being 9.6 kW compared to the Sunsynk’s 7kw. Overall, this suited my existing solar array setup better, and ultimately makes the Solis notably more flexible on this front.

Connection-wise, the inverter feels rather like a Sunsynk as well. In addition to the Grid and Load ports, a Generator/Auxiliary port is also present, although it currently appears this port is only configurable for power input, not output as well as with the Sunsynk. There is an external CT clamp connection for the internal power meter, although the supplied CT cable length is a bit miserly at around 1m or so. The usual battery BMS, parallel and RS485 (MODBUS) ports are also present, as well as a generator start signal and grid-loss relay outputs. However, the inverter automatically bonds Neutral and Earth at the Load port on grid loss, possibly controlled by the Grid Standard setting selected, so an external contactor, if required for grid code conformance, would not be required for this inverter, as was the case with my previous Goodwe.

Installation was rather straight forward with no unwelcome surprises or irritations. The inverter hangs on and is secured to a simple separate wall mount bracket that is easy to install. I did note that the inverter heatsink and internal PE terminals are not electrically connected and must be bonded as specified in the user manual. Once all the connections were complete, the inverter’s relatively simple but elegant-looking display lights up, giving a basic battery SoC level-type indication, any alarm state, and the active state of the WiFi and/or Bluetooth interfaces. The inverter has a chunky WiFi dongle as well as a Bluetooth antenna that protrude from the bottom of the inverter, but that shouldn’t present a problem unless (incorrectly) installed in a space-constrained environment. So far so good.

Solis decided to forgo a display and buttons on the inverter itself and rather leverage long-range Bluetooth and WiFi for commissioning the inverter via the SolisCloud App. After downloading the App, and creating an account, connecting to the inverter was relatively straight forward and fuss-free. There are a significant number of configuration sections and options to potentially fiddle with, but thankfully Soils has created a quick start shortcut that takes you through the few steps of setting up the basics, such as the type of battery, to get everything running. My inverter is paired with Pylontech batteries and the BMS comms worked flawlessly out the box. I was impressed how quickly and easily I managed to get everything working. After some initial fiddling, I did realise I had installed the CT sensor the wrong way around (arrow towards the grid, as with Goodwe, but opposite of Sunsynk). However, there is a configuration setting in the inverter that allows the direction to be corrected in software, which I promptly enabled to avoid any more physical labour, but found the inverter was still doing unexpected things, like exporting battery power to the grid when I had told it not to export anything. In the end, I begrudgingly took out a screwdriver and opened the DB board again, corrected the CT direction and then everything worked as expected. So nice idea on the CT setting, but maybe it needs a bit more work in terms of all the effects on the inverter’s various modes of operation.

Which brings me directly to my first notable issue I have with this inverter. As per the Goodwe, it’s missing a Sunsynk-like time-of-day multi-minimum SoC setting operational mode. It has quite a few operational modes, but those that do, only allow the definition of charge and discharge times and power, just like the Goodwe. Maybe this makes sense when using Time of Use tariffs, but otherwise just seems unnecessarily befuddling and complex for the average person. You can however set one reserve SoC per mode, which will tell the inverter when to stop discharging the battery, but this is not as flexible and useful as the Sunsynk SoC timer where setting different SoC values depending on the time of day is possible.

Also, as seems standard in the inverter industry, there are a multitude of settings that have no reference in the manual, probably due to newer firmware releases since the manual was published, but descriptions for many settings are simply not defined anywhere – videos, the Solis website or otherwise. Making setting available without proper documentation for installers or end-users is just poor practice, but again, even Sunsynk is guilty of this habit.

Thus far, after about two weeks, the inverter has worked flawlessly, without issue. In my home, I typically run all essential and non-essential loads off the inverter, so this includes running a 3kW geyser, electric stove and two inverter-type air conditioners. Of course, not everything runs at the same time and some load management is still required, but the extra 1.5 kw headroom over the 4.6 kW Goodwe is certainly appreciated. I have also noticed the inverter seems to run noticeably cooler than a Sunsynk 5 kW, as well my previous Goodwe, with the heatsink only getting noticeably warm after running the geyser for its daily Geyserwise-controlled cycle. The inverter does appear to have an internal fan, like a Sunsynk but quieter, and I’ve only heard it turn on once when my CT-issues caused it to export 6 kW to the grid. Plotting the internal inverter temperature on the SolisCloud app shows the inverter internal temperature has not gone above 48 C yet, with the inverter being mounted in a ventilated cupboard.

Which is a good time for me to raise my second notable issue with the Solis S6. Say what you want, but there is something innately appealing about the simplicity of a touchscreen and buttons, where you can always go press a button, change a setting, and see (or not) the results immediately. The problem with the Solis is that without a physical interface, the user is highly reliant on their technical ability to use the App, the useability of the App itself, and reliability of the ability to connect to the inverter. This was the main problem with my previous Goodwe, where between the flaky WiFi interface and glitchy infrequently updated software, interacting with the inverter became a largely “touch-once, and forget” affair. Monitoring the inverter via the WiFi app mostly worked, but most irritatingly sometimes didn’t. And have mercy if you needed to change configuration modes or something similarly esoteric like that – often you simply weren’t sure if the change had been applied or if a good old inverter reboot was required first.

Unfortunately, while significantly better than the Goodwe software, the SolisCloud App currently has a lot of rough edges and issues. This is understandable to an extent with a relatively new Solis cloud platform and range of inverters but needs to be considered when comparing to a well-established and more mature platform offered by Sunsynk. However, some of the issues leaves one wondering what they are thinking exactly and how some of these issues are making their way into released software. For example, on the cloud platform the data displayed in the basic “real-time” power flow diagrams is incorrect - PV power values being shown at night for example. Also, the App and inverter supposedly have two methods of connecting to and configuring the inverter locally – via Bluetooth and WiFi. The Bluetooth method is the only method described in the manual and videos that I could find on the web. The WiFi method is there but doesn’t appear to work, throwing connection/password errors that don’t appear to make sense. And then a recent automatic App update seems to have bricked my ability to connect to the Inverter at all via Bluetooth – all I get is a blank screen and nothing happens whereas before it worked without issue. Restarting the inverter and phone hasn’t helped. So now, I have no way of configuring the inverter locally – which isn’t particularly confidence inspiring.

This brings me on the third and final issue with this inverter, which relates to remote configuration. If you are an installer, you can’t currently manage customer inverter settings remotely, which is a big downside when compared to the Sunsynk platform. As an end user, it is possible to manually request this remote management functionality. I have done so and am able to configure the inverter this way, at least until Solis can sort out the local configuration issues. It would be interesting to understand the reasoning why this functionality cannot be enabled by default or at least be controlled via a local setting for security reasons. The Solis web site does seem to allude to the fact that the remote management of inverters by installers may be possible at some point in the future. However, until that time arrives, if ever, it means my choice of supplying a customer a Sunsynk or a Solis will always favour the former as remote access is such a critical and time saving feature.

As this is a long-term test and evaluation of this inverter, I will continue to experiment and note changes/updates made to the inverter’s operation. There are certain aspects that I have not tested yet, such as the behaviour and power control in feed back to non-essential loads, which will develop over time.

So in summary, the Solis S6 inverter has serious potential to offer a competitive alternative to the current local favourite Sunsynk’s benchmark offering, but is hampered by firmware and software issues, all of which needs to be addressed promptly by Solis. As with any technical device these days, great hardware can be ruined or rendered forgotten by poor software.

Pros:

• 6 kW power for the same price as a 5 kW Sunsynk.
  • More flexible PV capabilities compared to a Sunsynk.
  • Runs relatively cool and is practically silent.

Cons:

• Inverter has no SoC-level timer operational mode.
  • SolisCloud App needs work to make it reliable.
  • Remote configuration for installers is missing.

*** Update - 21/07/2023 ***

I was contacted by the Solis' local technical support team to try sort out some of the issues I had encountered - thank you for the proactive support!

A remote firmware upgrade of the inverter was performed, and it was suggested I try uninstall/reinstall the SolisCloud app as well. The result is one of these actions solved the local Bluetooth connection issue, but I can't say which, so if anyone has the same issue, I would recommend try either clearing the app cache (in the App, go to Me->Settings->General->Clean Cache) or uninstall-reinstall the app first. For reference, you can contact the local support team at [email protected] to request a firmware update - you will need to send them the inverter S/N and data logger S/N.

Also, contrary to what is specified on the Solis website, local Solis support informed me it is possible to remotely configure inverters from a single "installer" type account that contains multiple customer inverters and we are in the process of activating it on the account and I will test drive the functionality once available. Again, please contact the local support team and they will assist in organising the functionality for those that require this.

Finally, the local support team did indicate they would put in a request for a SoC-schedule type operating mode, so I'm holding thumbs. For some users, they may be fine with one of the current operating modes with a single minimum SoC threshold, but a schedule would just be better and simpler for South African conditions.

*** Update 30/07/2023 ***

Solis enabled my installer remote control access and I can confirm I can now control my inverter through my installer account as well. Apparently remote access will soon be enabled by default for end users.

Travis, Product Manager from Solis, also confirmed the SoC schedule is in the queue to be implemented which is great news

After my recent firmware update, I see the inverter now also has options for using the Aux port as an output port, as per Sunsynk, but it seems the CT software reversal setting has disappeared, possibly related to operational issues as noted in the review.

Some bugs in the apps and Bluetooth interface have been addressed as well, and thankfully, the last password used to log in via Bluetooth is now automatically remembered. The local WiFi config mode still doesn't appear to work though.

I bought the Solis S6, bluetooth local operation was a quick connect but from there on a few issues with readings in the portal not giving the desired result. Please pm me, I want to check your
Working Mode Settings
CT Settings
Battery Settings

As a installer user in the backend settings page.

I also get the sense that the dust has not yet settled fully on the firmware and app in comparison to something like SunSynk that has a larger user base that has sorted out the creases to a greater extent.

@Skusku

You can set up zero export and I did test that it works as long as the CT coil is installed correctly.

I should point out that not all prepaid meters have issues with small amounts of reverse power flow, especially the newer ones which are probably designed for this possibility in mind. For example, I have a 1 year old prepaid meter (AMS S12U16) and while I was testing the Solis inverter, the CT wasn't installed the right way round so 6kw was exported to the grid for a few minutes. I believe most newer meters just bill you for the power flow in either direction and in my experience, in JHB anyway, I have yet to have experienced an installation where a prepaid meter went into any kind of protected mode due to transient inverter feedback. Maybe I've just been lucky 😀.

@L_D

Yes, the firmware and app are definitely a work in progress. To be fair, the early days of the Sunsynk interface also had some interesting moments and wobbles. Can you elaborate as to what issues you are seeing so that I may be able to validate on my end?

I noticed when looking at the installer-view remote settings that the Meter/CT settings didn't match the local Bluetooth settings for the Meter Type (Meter in Grid Eastron Std 1P Meter vs No Meter) and CT Ratio settings (0 vs 2000). I tried changing the CT ratio remotely and it didn't change so I suspect the remote settings are broken. So the values I've listed below for the CT values are the local equivalents.

Work Mode = Self-Use Mode

Self-Use Mode->Self-Use Mode Switch=Enabled

Self-Use Mode->Time of Use Switch = Enabled

Self-Use Mode->Charge and Discharge 1-3->Time of Use Charge Current Set=50A

Self-Use Mode->Charge and Discharge 1-3->Time of Use Discharge Current Set=135A

Self-Use Mode->Charge and Discharge 1-3->Charge Time Slot 1 = 22:00-08:00

Self-Use Mode->Charge and Discharge 1-3->Discharge Time Slot1 = 08:00-22:00

Self-Use Mode->Charge and Discharge 1-3->All other time slots not defined

Self-Use Mode->Charge and Discharge 4-6->All times slots not defined

Self-Use Mode->Allow Grid Charging=Enabled

Self-Use Mode->Battery Reserve Switch=On

Self-Use Mode->Reserved SOC=80%

Self-Use Mode->Grid Charge Power Limit=2500W

Meter/CT Setting->Meter/CT Setting=CT

Meter/CT Setting->Meter Type and Installation Location->Meter in Grid NO Meter

Meter/CT Setting->CT Direction=forward

Meter/CT Setting->CT Ratio=2000

Battery Setting->Battery Type=Lithium

Battery Setting->Battery Model=Pylon_LV

Battery Setting->Max charging current=125A

Battery Setting->Max discharging current=125A

Battery Setting->Overdischarge SOC=15%

Battery Setting->ForceCharge SoC=10%

Battery Setting->Battery Healing SoC=100%

Battery Setting->Peak-saving setting=Off

Battery Setting->Max.grid power when force charging=500W

Battery Setting->ECO Function=off

Battery Setting->Battery Wakeup Switch=off

Battery Setting->Auto Bat Awaken=off

I also did a quick check of the non-essentials side again, given changes to the firmware since the first post. In principal, the no-grid feedback aspect is working mostly as expected, but I did encounter some oddities.

Bear in mind I'm basically operating the inverter in an off-grid setup most of the time, but the current setup is as such that I can turn on the grid-side isolator and reconnect if required for battery charging and other experiments without exporting power and other untoward things happening.

Based on the local Bluetooth power flow view, here was the starting point prior to grid connection:

IMG-20230915-WA0012.thumb.jpg.c053e46636ba939ffc1f5afe1bf407ad.jpg

After enabled the grid connection with my battery at 100% SoC, the first thing I noticed is the solar suddenly came to life and starting charging the battery?

IMG-20230915-WA0009.thumb.jpg.667e6a1fb68ffe42deb6206661c61a31.jpg

This went on for a few minutes. Looking at the BMS battery info, the battery then charged to the required maximum Pylontech float voltage, whereas before it was clearly not at that voltage without the grid connection which is not right. I will have to investigate further another time.

On enabling the grid connection, the grid carried the entire load for a while.

IMG-20230915-WA0008.thumb.jpg.f4f231e5f2261ff5f8ca0944818c24fa.jpg

Then, the solar slooowly started ramping up - actually it was painfully slow until the solar totally took over the load supply.

IMG-20230915-WA0005.thumb.jpg.75ccecf8613073eef81ab6e093d49c93.jpg

IMG-20230915-WA0007.thumb.jpg.43cdf65339b8e7a8c9f078e2a4785b42.jpg

I did some investigation and it appears you can adjust this response rate which I think is overly conservative. In the local Bluetooth connection settings, go to Grid Code Setting->Advanced Setting->Power Limit->Power Change Slope Limit and change the default from 10% to something higher (I used 50%).

I wanted to do a bit more correlation with what was happening on the app cloud view but then load shedding kicked in so that ended that.

Other items I've run into before but bear mentioning:

- If you walk out of Bluetooth range of the inverter, the app obviously loses connection with the inverter. It periodically indicates that it's trying to reconnect but even with me standing next to the inverter, it never does, which is rather annoying and it would be great if it would just reconnect on its own.

- I see there is now a Device Upgrade option in the app which is great news - well at least for me. This allows you to check for newer versions and update the firmware of the inverter yourself without having to send a request and wait for someone in China to do it for you at a most inconvenient moment (ahem...Sunsynk). Hopefully Solis is super confident that this won't result in trouble with bricked inverters 😄.

- Still no SoC-type timer functionality in the inverter Work Modes yet unfortunately.

@L_D

Yes, the firmware and app are definitely a work in progress. To be fair, the early days of the Sunsynk interface also had some interesting moments and wobbles. Can you elaborate as to what issues you are seeing so that I may be able to validate on my end?

I noticed when looking at the installer-view remote settings that the Meter/CT settings didn't match the local Bluetooth settings for the Meter Type (Meter in Grid Eastron Std 1P Meter vs No Meter) and CT Ratio settings (0 vs 2000). I tried changing the CT ratio remotely and it didn't change so I suspect the remote settings are broken. So the values I've listed below for the CT values are the local equivalents.

I also did a quick check of the non-essentials side again, given changes to the firmware since the first post. In principal, the no-grid feedback aspect is working mostly as expected, but I did encounter some oddities.

Bear in mind I'm basically operating the inverter in an off-grid setup most of the time, but the current setup is as such that I can turn on the grid-side isolator and reconnect if required for battery charging and other experiments without exporting power and other untoward things happening.

Based on the local Bluetooth power flow view, here was the starting point prior to grid connection:

After enabled the grid connection with my battery at 100% SoC, the first thing I noticed is the solar suddenly came to life and starting charging the battery?

This went on for a few minutes. Looking at the BMS battery info, the battery then charged to the required maximum Pylontech float voltage, whereas before it was clearly not at that voltage without the grid connection which is not right. I will have to investigate further another time.

Then, the solar slooowly started ramping up - actually it was painfully slow until the solar totally took over the load supply.

I did some investigation and it appears you can adjust this response rate which I think is overly conservative. In the local Bluetooth connection settings, go to Grid Code Setting->Advanced Setting->Power Limit->Power Change Slope Limit and change the default from 10% to something higher (I used 50%).

I wanted to do a bit more correlation with what was happening on the app cloud view but then load shedding kicked in so that ended that.

- If you walk out of Bluetooth range of the inverter, the app obviously loses connection with the inverter. It periodically indicates that it's trying to reconnect but even with me standing next to the inverter, it never does, which is rather annoying and it would be great if it would just reconnect on its own.

- I see there is now a Device Upgrade option in the app which is great news - well at least for me. This allows you to check for newer versions and update the firmware of the inverter yourself without having to send a request and wait for someone in China to do it for you at a most inconvenient moment (ahem...Sunsynk). Hopefully Solis is super confident that this won't result in trouble with bricked inverters 😄.

- Still no SoC-type timer functionality in the inverter Work Modes yet unfortunately.

My Backup Side is completely gone from local bluetooth installer logon- power went off only on essential load and couldn't get the essential load on. Flipped the changeover on my DB to Eskom after the wife wasn't impressed with me. 

Edited by L_D

Just wondering are we seeing a few kinks in the Solis S6. I know it is still a new inverter but it has me wondering now if I should lean back to the SunSynk. How quickly do you think they might sort out these few issues you guys have seen?

Edited by Greglsh

@L_D

Did this happen out of the blue or after you adjusted some settings?

Are you sure the backup port is enabled as if this is off, it results in exactly what you are seeing?

Local config -> Smart Port -> Backup Port Enabling Setting = Enabled

Screenshot_20230916_062726_SolisCloud.thumb.jpg.e1931701df88888193df90bc5ad71edb.jpg

When off:

Screenshot_20230916_062812_SolisCloud.thumb.jpg.7ef1729eb6b5431a5c4348f2393ab086.jpg

Edited by AlexTZA

@L_D

Are you sure the backup port is enabled as if this is off, it results in exactly what you are seeing?

Screenshot_20230916_062726_SolisCloud.thumb.jpg.e1931701df88888193df90bc5ad71edb.jpg

When off:

Screenshot_20230916_062812_SolisCloud.thumb.jpg.7ef1729eb6b5431a5c4348f2393ab086.jpg

You beauty! It has returned the backup Side. I never switched it off. At that moment I was reducing the current on the battery charge and discharge when it cut. 

IMG_5855.jpeg

@L_D

When off:

@L_D

My power slope limit was set to 600% when I logged in - changed it to 50% like yours and will monitor it.

Update 19 September, this from local Solis SA support:

Default setting is 600

image.jpeg.27558af5a143bcfedecfd7f9a468bcd4.jpeg

Edited by L_D

Hey @AlexTZA

Hopefully you can help. I've been installing my 6kw s6 pro. I don't have batteries yet. Hopefully arrive this week but I can't seem to get an output on the backup load outputs. Also where yours says run. Mine says off. Is it because I need to have a battery connected in order for the inverter to run? 

Here's what my flow screen looks like.

Screenshot_2023-09-24-21-12-24-792_com.ginlongsolis-edit.jpg

@cp69

You can run without batteries, as shown below. However the inverter needs at least one alternative backup source to provide backup power - either solar panels or batteries. If neither of those are present, the inverter is nothing more than an expensive piece of "wire" connecting grid to the backup side. So until your batteries arrive, you will need to keep your load change over switch in the "Grid" position.

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-25 at 07.28.01.jpg

Edited by AlexTZA

My power slope limit was set to 600% when I logged in - changed it to 50% like yours and will monitor it.

Update 19 September, this from local Solis SA support:

Default setting is 600

image.jpeg.27558af5a143bcfedecfd7f9a468bcd4.jpeg

These sorts of statements speak to one of the major issues of most inverters manufacturers (which let's be honest, are nearly all Chinese), bar maybe Victron.

They leave users and especially installers in the dark as to how to fully understand their product.

These sorts of statements speak to one of the major issues of most inverters manufacturers (which let's be honest, are nearly all Chinese), bar maybe Victron.

They leave users and especially installers in the dark as to how to fully understand their product.

Do I have it right that at the time you took the last slide 362W came from PV and the 2 loads used 340W and battery not connected. Thus the inverter used only 22W self consumption? 

IMG_20230925_183411.jpg

Screenshot_2023-09-24-21-12-24-792_com.ginlongsolis-edit.thumb.jpg.0d488eabfc8dc0f31bbf9e258ec543c3.jpg

Hey @AlexTZA

Hopefully you can help. I've been installing my 6kw s6 pro. I don't have batteries yet. Hopefully arrive this week but I can't seem to get an output on the backup load outputs. Also where yours says run. Mine says off. Is it because I need to have a battery connected in order for the inverter to run? 

Here's what my flow screen looks like.

Screenshot_2023-09-24-21-12-24-792_com.ginlongsolis-edit.jpg

This morning I woke and immediately switched changeover back to inverter(without batteries) and straight away the inverter came to life and worked beautifully all day! 

I'm lucky enough to have an extremely old house meter and grid export works perfectly!

This inverter works great, yes the app could be better. I put all the lights on, 2 X kettles and 2 X microwaves and reached 5500w draw and it didn't skip a beat. 

Screenshot_2023-09-25-19-14-39-395_com.whatsapp-edit.jpg

Edited by cp69

@Scorp007

Yes, it appears so, 22W was the inverter consumption.

As for manufacturing, haha, yes everything is made in China. The point I wanted to make is related to comprehensive documentation or the general lack thereof of Chinese brand inverters. 

As much as some short docs the translation is pathetic I have to say the up to 80 page docs for inverters are generally very well written although we will always find quite a few conditions not covered.

Just a pity Solis APP does not show the direction of the power shown at the time of view. 

With so many bi-directional power flows it has become important.

Question I have with this solis s6 inverter. I can feed back to the grid no problem but what I don't want is to feed back during load shedding or outages. Is there a setting on this inverter to do this?

if this inverter is NRS-097 certified, it should not come down to a setting. It should simply turn off the grid export automatically during load shedding or outages regardless. Same goes for any certified grid-tied inverter.

if this inverter is NRS-097 certified, it should not come down to a setting. It should simply turn off the grid export automatically during load shedding or outages regardless. Same goes for any certified grid-tied inverter.

Oh that's great news. I see the current grid code in the settings is NRS097. No clue what that means!! I haven't been able to test this myself as I don't have a battery so when the grid goes down the inverter shuts down 

Oh that's great news. I see the current grid code in the settings is NRS097. No clue what that means!! I haven't been able to test this myself as I don't have a battery so when the grid goes down the inverter shuts down 

Each country uses a grid code that defines the parameters for the grid frequency and voltages. Should the grid input go outside certain levels a grid tied inverter MUST switch off. No inverter on the approved list will not switch off when outside of these levels. G83/3 is an older grid code also used in ZA.