Gauteng Who is not using grid....

Scorp007

10 hours ago, Bobster. said:

Ja. I downgraded my 2nd geyser to a 2kw element. On good days like today I can heat it up in about 2 hours in the afternoons, without taking more power than the inverter can deliver IE I can heat it for free.

What I do is stagger the main geyser (heat pump) and second geyser (element). The switch over is at 13:00 and 2 hours is enough to heat it to 55. So it's not hot all day.

Heat pump goes to 60 in the summer. It draws about 1.2 kW and runs for about 45 minutes, so I can run that on the backed up circuits.Β 

Edited by Bobster.

10 hours ago, Scorp007 said:

The joy of being in Gauteng in summer. It keeps you on your toes. From 3 bad days to a all time daily high yield.Β 

It could even be higher if 40% of panels are not flat on the car port roof and the same panels get shade starting at about 12h30.

IMG_20231013_193008.thumb.jpg.7a66803176a8aaea825d37cf291b058f.jpg

Back to the +30 for me also…produced 35.2kWh yesterdayΒ πŸ˜ƒ

Geysers were hot by 14:00, battery was full by 12:40…if I had more load after 14:00 I’m sure I would have hit 40kWh…

IMG_0329.jpeg

The past few days have been all over the place..

Typical day:

image.thumb.png.0f292ccaecc95230d553e4d60441c17a.png

Using up all the electricity day:

image.thumb.png.81f6fdd119106559fa3df2c64a8cbc54.png

Today:

image.thumb.png.8eef3049373c7519f5521a64f55f865c.png

At least there was some sunshine today to charge up batteries and take the load of some of the geysers.

Tomorrow and Wednesday are looking great!

14 minutes ago, Muttley said:

The past few days have been all over the place..

Typical day:

image.thumb.png.0f292ccaecc95230d553e4d60441c17a.png

Using up all the electricity day:

image.thumb.png.81f6fdd119106559fa3df2c64a8cbc54.png

Today:

image.thumb.png.8eef3049373c7519f5521a64f55f865c.png

At least there was some sunshine today to charge up batteries and take the load of some of the geysers.

Tomorrow and Wednesday are looking great!

My forecast for Tuesday is quite a bit more than today for Gauteng but still low. Wednesday looks like normal sunshine.Β 

Today showed an amazing cloud edge output.Β 

Edited by Scorp007

28 minutes ago, Scorp007 said:

My forecast for Tuesday is quite a bit more than today for Gauteng but still low. Wednesday looks like normal sunshine.Β 

Today showed an amazing cloud edge output.Β 

My system in the Vaal Triangle, 4100 W of PV panels. dashboard the last three months, and so far this month. Not bad at all, a few cloudy and rainy days, still average 14 Kw from PV and 4 from grid.Β  a bit bellow average my early is 15KW from PV, The dotted line indicates cloud cover.

Β 

image.thumb.png.f16591ac555734637fabba08707302f8.png

image.thumb.png.3731e38a13a623675a36963a1763a800.png

Edited by Antonio de Sa

1 hour ago, Nicholas Strachan said:

I have used 590 Kw of electricity from Eskom since the beginning of the year.

8kw Sunsynk

3 x Hubble am 2

6 kw panels and a geyserwise system plus gas hob

Thanks. When I see figures like that, they drive home the power of the sort of installations we have. Over 4 years now, my average, including multi-day spells of bad weather, is about 2.15 kWh per day. If I put a timer before my main DB I could drive that down, because quite a bit of that each day is because my inverter turns off at night when the load is so small that it no longer wants to be bothered. But anyway, whenever I get the grumbles I should do the sums and remember that I now use in a year what I used to use in 2 months. An 84% reduction in my carbon footprint for power generation and to my bill. I should be happy.

Edited by Bobster.
sppeling

23 hours ago, Scorp007 said:

I'm watching this with interest as this forecast is miles away from my forecast for tomorrow. Wednesday we seem to be on the same page πŸ˜€

Did 42.5kWh today - forecast was 47.7 - I think that if our load was higher today, we would've hit 47....

image.thumb.png.a2cd27ac8c220594594c8ea259c37d0b.png

47 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Did 42.5kWh today - forecast was 47.7 - I think that if our load was higher today, we would've hit 47....

image.thumb.png.a2cd27ac8c220594594c8ea259c37d0b.png

It turned out unbelievable good with the clouds around. Got double than yesterday but tomorrow I should get a new all time high. Peaks with cloud edge are much higher than recently.Β 

9 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Thanks so much... super super chuffed with the performance!

LOL. I'm wondering what a person is doing with all that electricity. It's literally 3 times what my household uses.Β Β 

Caveat: Just two adults in my house, heatpump for water heating, and full gas cooking.

12 minutes ago, Bobster. said:

LOL. I'm wondering what a person is doing with all that electricity. It's literally 3 times what my household uses.Β Β 

Caveat: Just two adults in my house, heatpump for water heating, and full gas cooking.

Unfortunately, we're big consumers...

4 Adults, 1 baby, 3 geysers, dishwasher, Jojo pump, pool pump, too much networking equipment plus lots of cups of coffee during the day

Trying to reduce evening load - worked out last night that I'm going to bypass the Jojo pump from 18:00 - 08:00 which should help.

Edited by Muttley
typo

12 hours ago, Bobster. said:

This is 4 times my normal use. We also 2 people.Β 

I recently had a chat with a guy who has to run a fish pond pump 24/7. That 1 item is using more power than what our household uses per day.Β 

Edited by Scorp007