Comms error between VMIII and US3000s

Question

Good day everyone. I have a newly commissioned system with Kodak VMIII and 2xUS3000 batteries.

With the inverter setting 05 set to Pylontech I get error code 61, which according to the manual means no communication between the battery and inverter.

For now I am using the user-defined option under setting 5, which works fine, but I presume I will need to get the communication thing sorted for optimum performance.

My settings are as follows:

- Dip switches both batteries 0000. Tried 1000 as well with no joy.

- Have tried CAN and RS485 port on master battery

- Batteries connected via Link Port 0 on slave and Link Port 1 on master

- Master is the one with positive running to inverter and slave runs negative to inverter

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

17 answers to this question

I found a solution to the problem courtesy of the supplier (solar-shop.co.za) so I thought it might be helpful to others with the same issue.

1. You have to use the cable supplied with the inverter.

2. Dip switches are 1000 on all batteries (assuming single group).

3. Cable is plugged into master battery RS485 port, not CAN.

Works beautifully.

Hi Jannie

I'm in the same boat, error 61 between Kodak OG3.24 and Pylontech US2500. I bought the Pylontech cable kit, on the box though it reads 1 x 3.5m CAN cable and from what I can gather the Kodak only does RS485.

Which inverter supplied cable are you referring to? I only have 1 cable supplied with the inverter and it's and RJ45 on one end and RS232 on the other.

Any help, please!!!

1 hour ago, Coulomb said:

Yours might be too old to have been supplied the cable; if so, you may need to update firmware as well.

This is the cable you need, per Youda:

Pylontech to King RS-485 cable pinout per Youda.png

Attached are photos of my inverter and only cable supplied with the inverter. What I find perplexing is that there's no input for the RS232 on the inverter, unless it's only meant for comms between the inverter and PC?

IMG_20200726_082141.jpg

IMG_20200726_082122.jpg

9 minutes ago, HennieB84 said:

unless it's only meant for comms between the inverter and PC?

Exactly. That's not the cable you need for BMS comms.

Edit: the port with the monitor and keyboard icon is an RS-232 port, despite being an RJ-45 socket (which you'd expect for Ethernet).

Edited by Coulomb

Sorry about your hassles Hennie. The user-defined is a temporary fix, but it does a terrible job of reading battery SOC, or did in my case at least. Hopefully you can find a dealer with the correct cable in stock.

9 hours ago, JannieO said:

Sorry about your hassles Hennie. The user-defined is a temporary fix, but it does a terrible job of reading battery SOC, or did in my case at least. Hopefully you can find a dealer with the correct cable in stock.

Hi Jannie

Thank you for the reply and sorry for hijacking your thread. Were you supplied the correct cable from your supplier/installer (solar-shop)? I suspect my supplier/installer did not order the cable from Segen when placing my order, now it's a hassle just to get any info from Segen if they do in fact supply this cable. I have found guys that do supply the correct cable, and want to get it asap.

So after numerous mails and phone calls between the installer and Segen it's come to light that the BMS pin configuration from a Voltronic inverter to a Pylontech UP2500 is different from the cable that is used in conjunction with the US2000/3000 batteries.

25 minutes ago, HennieB84 said:

So after numerous mails and phone calls between the installer and Segen it's come to light that the BMS pin configuration from a Voltronic inverter to a Pylontech UP2500 is different from the cable that is used in conjunction with the US2000/3000 batteries.

🤦‍♂️

On 2020/07/31 at 11:38 AM, HennieB84 said:

Got the correct cable and it works, at last.

IMG_20200731_113627.jpg

Hello HenniB84,

where did you order the cable?
And how did you hook it up? RS485 (Pylontech UP2500) <-> RS485 or RS232 inverter?
Thank you so much!
Andreas