Imeon 9.12

Neb

Neb - Your install is stunning, and an envy of many of us... I can dream of the kit you already have.
Guys, this is why we need a lessons learned section to help people like Neb and me get into the game properly...

PS: Neb, I am also like you, learning a lot from my newish kit installed (only 4 months in, and already learned very expensive lessons, even after 8 months of learning - I either learn slow, or the subject matter is complicated...).

Everyone who has commented is quite right on the batteries, forget for a moment your investment on the rest of the kit... batteries, batteries, batteries... These are the heart of your system and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, you buy the best and highest quality you can afford on day 1 of your planning. You can underspec many things else, but I have learned that you treat batteries almost like pets, they are a expensive and dedicated commitment. Can change most other parts of your installation easily, adding panels, adding invertors, adding monitors, but batteries are a different animal... After 2/3 months, you can't just add batteries to your system without completely replacing your existing battery bank (from scratch). You also have to understand a bit about battery characteristics, 100Ah might seem like you can get 100Ah from the battery, and yes you can, if you only want it to last till next week!

Use some basic calcs (yes, maths again)... As mentioned by a few of the posts on this forum, a 20% discharge rate is not only going to keep you batteries going probably past their initial lifespan, but will also give you the maximum overall monetary return.

(If I get a chance tonight, I will try post the maths later)

Howzit.

The 100Ah batteries are gone, they have been returned.

This system will realistically only be installed closer to the end of 2016, I'm very keen on lithium.

Cheers Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Getting a Lithium battery from Blue Nova this week to test out. Pricing looks good considering 10 year warranty.

Hi Hannes.

Did you get the Blue Novas?

What size? How are they?

Cheers Ben

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 22/06/2016 at 1:04 PM, Gerald_db said:

Any info on the Blue Nova?

Hi all, sorry I have not logged on to the forum in a very long time. I am very impressed with the litium's performance but the BluNova had a design problem that drains 4 of the 16 cells more causing them to go out of balance. They are aware and I am waiting for them to fix it.  In the mean time I have found another supplier and I am very happy with the product.

Have a look on my Facebook page. Www.facebook.com/maxyield

Regards, Hannes

• 1 month later...

Howzit going people?
Long time!
Hope everyone's well.
The Imeon is mounted, the panels are on the roof, the DB's are almost ready and we want to fire this puppy up, we actually did have it on today[emoji850] but it didn't do anything useful and I don't want to see fire or smell smoke!

After reading the advice on the forum, I would like to leave the batteries out and go for the grid tie (no battery) option if this is possible

Is it possible to configure the Imeon 9.12 to run without batteries? I was flipping through the options in the setup software and it seems to expect batteries?

I will post some more pics tomorrow. Laters Ben

808cad0601635fd9cba30d2264c4cfb0.jpg

321f15996fb799eb2aad10b78b88eb53.jpg

• 1 month later...

I know the panels are already installed but you should consider removing the panels on the edges. The wind load on the outer edges of the solar array is something you should be concerned about . Best practise is to mount the panels at least 600mm from the edges of the roof otherwise your solar panels will turn into wind sails.

Solar panels should be on top of roofs, not floating in the pool ;)

It's going really well but it seems the authorities are sniffing around (we haven't actually turned it on yet[emoji6]) I may go for the embedded generation option but I just struggle to see how one benefits from going that route? Please help me understand why?
I'm now being forced to install a prepaid meter. I may actually invest in batteries to go off grid but it does require a considerable investment in batteries, I'm not keen on that rite now.

The arrows look familiar....................until someone pimped on me and I had to change my settings so as to not feed into the grid!
How is the Imeon performing thus far?

Beyond expectations! But I haven't moved in yet, it's been running the power tools on site very well.

I know the panels are already installed but you should consider removing the panels on the edges. The wind load on the outer edges of the solar array is something you should be concerned about . Best practise is to mount the panels at least 600mm from the edges of the roof otherwise your solar panels will turn into wind sails.
Solar panels should be on top of roofs, not floating in the pool default_wink.png

Will check that out. Thanks!

Only start the installation tomorrow. Will know in about 2 to 3 weeks.
Is the Imeon not one of the approved systems in Western Cape? Have you had any problems with your unit?

Hi Chris.
No problems.

1 hour ago, Chris Rossouw said:

Only start the installation tomorrow. Will know in about 2 to 3 weeks.

Is the Imeon not one of the approved systems in Western Cape? Have you had any problems with your unit?

Yes, the Imeon is one of the approved inverters for grid connection.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Neb
Is your system up and running and what is your opinion of the Imeon 9.12 you have purchased? I am busy installing a very similar system with the same inverter and should be live in the next two to three weeks.

Hi Chris.
I'm very impressed with mine so far.
It will handle all your sources of electricity seamlessly as they come online or go offline, switching between them seamlessly.

It generated 60kwh the other day, downside for me, it's a bit noisy. Be sure to install it far from your living area.

Will post some pics in the next few days

Cheers Ben

Thanks Neb, highly appreciated.

I've got a separate solar room, with the batteries, inverter and a separate DB board about 10m away from the house, I think it would be ok then? I was really worried at a time, most of the talk about the Imeon's was not very positive, and I thought I made a big mistake. My brother stays in France and he told me it is highly recommended there and based on that plus the nice features, was the basis for ny descision. I will start the Imeon most probably mid JAnuary, as I will be going on leave on the 27th Dec. Please post the pic's, I will be on the forum all the time

Thanks again

Chris