Hexing Meter Grid Feed-In with Victron

Muchachos

On 2020/10/16 at 11:17 AM, Muchachos said:

Does the Hexing HXE310-P meter allow reversing the meter if the Inverter is set into Grid Feed-In?

My HXE310-P meter went into tamper mode because of accidental feed-in...
Called CoJ and the guys that came to check didn't know what is happening or how to sort it out even though I told them what has happened 🙄

Still waiting for a new meter or hexing keypad that can supposedly fix it.

On 2020/10/16 at 11:23 PM, Muchachos said:

What rate does CoJ offer for grid feed-in?

The proposed tariff for 2020/1, for residential properties who are net consumers and who sell "spare" power of less than 1 MW/h per month is 57.34 c. Plus you can't be on prepaid, you must be on a TOU tariff, your equipment must meet COJ standards (which implies an inspection) and you will need a bidirectional meter to be installed at your expense.

If you're on pre-paid then switching to TOU means about R600 of service fees each month.  COJ have been trying to force through a flat rate component for pre-paid connections. Two years ago it was removed because, the then Mayor said, somebody had sneaked it in after council had signed off on the new tariffs structure (at least that's what he said). More recently it was properly proposed then removed as part of relief under the pandemic, but it's not off the table. It will be less than the post-paid and TOU customers pay (as it should be. Pre-paid users pay more per kw/h). The long term objective seems to be to eliminate the gap between pre-paid and post-paid, which seems silly to me. If I pay in advance then that's good for the city's cash flow and they should give me some sort of consideration for that.

1 hour ago, Muchachos said:

Hmm. The bill currently has three items that I am not sure what they are for, namely Network Surcharge kWh, Service Charge and Network charge. There cost for these are R78,R147 and R596 respectively. Is the network charge the TOU?

Network charge and service charge are the costs of supplying a grid connection and controlling your account. Not sure what the surcharge is. This is why most domestic users should still be converting to prepaid even though the deal is not as good as it used to be. You pay more per kw/h, but lose several hundred rand a month in flat fees.

It is expensive for a short period because you have to pay down the post-paid account whilst still feeding the meter for power you consume NOW. Also there may be a charge if they have to change the meter. But most people who do the math find they come out ahead in the long run.

Edited by Bobster

1 hour ago, Muchachos said:

Ok. The power is still on and the meter is allowing the Victron to feed-in to the grid. 

The good news is that you are unlikely to have any problems with a grid-tied setup (this can sometimes result in low-power/short-duration feedback to the grid - causing some prepaid meters to trip).

The bad news is that you are likely to be charged (i.e. units deducted) for any power that you feed back to the grid! 

Edited by NigelL

50 minutes ago, NigelL said:

The bad news is that you are likely to be charged (i.e. units deducted) for any power that you feed back to the grid! 

Tampering Proof detection by:
• Meter Cover open detection and record • Meter terminal detection and record
• Bypass (optional)
• Large magnetic event(optional)
 Auxiliary Terminal for Energy Pulse Output(optional)

A few years ago I accidentally opened the terminal cover on a pre-paid meter that went into tamper mode and I had to pay a call-out fee/fine for the municipality to switch it on again.

2 hours ago, Muchachos said:

Sounds like a Prepaid with no Grid Feed-In is the best option. 

They'll figure out the truth eventually. I've had City Power at my place to find out what's going on because I am not feeding the pre-paid. They didn't say anything, but for sure they know I have a solar system. 

It seems to me though, and as I've said before, that municipalities really don't want people feeding back into the grid. This may be to do with reduced revenues or with demand management. I don't know. I know it's not worth it for me to sell back to the City.

18 hours ago, Muchachos said:

Yeah, it does seem so.

How does Tshwane handle feeding back into the Grid? Do they have the same tariff structure like CoJ? I was in their website and I could not download the tariff file.

According to this
http://www.tshwane.gov.za/sites/Departments/Financial-Services/Financial-Documents/Approved MTREF/2019-20 electricity tariff part 1 - rectified schedule.pdf

The city will pay you a whole 10c for every kw/h you export.

On 2020/10/19 at 2:12 PM, NigelL said:

This meter is working as a post paid meter. Is there a chance that the usage into the grid is getting billed?

On 2020/10/21 at 6:57 AM, Muchachos said:

This meter is working as a post paid meter. Is there a chance that the usage into the grid is getting billed?

I am not familiar with the HXE310-P meter, but unless it's a bi-directional meter, it is highly likely you will be charged for pushing power back to the grid - as though you had used the same amount of power from the grid. 

On 2020/10/19 at 10:24 AM, Muchachos said:

Hmm. The bill currently has three items that I am not sure what they are for, namely Network Surcharge kWh, Service Charge and Network charge. There cost for these are R78,R147 and R596 respectively. Is the network charge the TOU?

This article explains the current state of play in the City
https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2020-10-21-joburg-electricity-costs-spiral-as-city-suffers-covid-19-revenue-loss/

If you live in the city, a conventional customer pays a service charge of R147.74 a month. “The charge is to recover some of the administrative and billing service costs,” says City Power spokesperson Isaac Mangena.

In addition, you are billed a “capacity charge” of R435.24 a month. “The charge contributed to the cost of ensuring network availability on demand. City Power has to operate, repair and maintain the necessary electricity distribution network infrastructure in order to be able to supply,” says Mangena. 

There is a third tax on this – a “network surcharge” of R0.06/kWh for consumption over the basic 500kWh per month.