Hoselect LiFePO4 48v 100ah battery reviews please?

SolergyAdmin

I cant comment on the Hoselect battery but a good friend has an Averge which is a rebranded Leoch, aimed to differentiate from those sold to the teleco's from what I am lead to believe.

Battery seems to perform well / without any issues at all. Their support also is very good (Averge in JHB) as his first battery was damaged in transit to Cape Town. They sent a new battery immediately and only collected the damage battery afterwards.

I personally went for Narada (very similar price) in my setup only due to the BMS comms to ICC which is not available for Averge currently. This was a key issue for me and I would strongly suggest ensuring that your battery can talk to your Inverter or what every is controlling your setup (i.e. ICC in my case) as otherwise you are running your system blind

LiFePO4

The cells are made by a few companies. Many buy the cell and put it in a name brand case. The chemical substance is also applied by controlled systems therefore they do get manufactured  like twins with a different stamp date.  In theory a LIPO bat is all using the same chemicals and therefore there is very little difference.

The difference is how you charge and discharge the batteries and the most important are the profit margins.  The most important part is not to over heat them. There are other technical stuff that is managed by the inverter. They are a lot easier to manage than lead acid.  If you get one at a good price it is a good battery then simply make sure they don't over heat. Most of the inverters have sufficient software and will cut off and control the current.

If esthetics matters and fancy electronics then they get more expensive but if they are in the dark and charged / discharge correctly then they are better priced do the same work and last the same discharge rates.
There are very cost effective over current relay that will protect your Lipo at a fraction of the cost.

On 2020/12/11 at 8:30 PM, SolergyAdmin said:

Could anyone please provide me with reviews on this battery please?

I cannot give any feedback on this battery, but I have noticed that majority batteries (including Pylontech) are made in China. The cells are basically all the same, but what changes is the BMS. For many of us, we don’t mind buying a Daly or ANT BMS and slapping it in should the standard BMS give any trouble at all. I took a chance a few weeks ago buying some cheaper “second life” lithium batteries on Black Friday special, and I am really impressed with how well they perform. Another forum member (Gandalf) also bought these same batteries and is happily running off grid with them for the last three weeks.

Some people prefer to have communication between inverter and battery, but for me, if my inverter switches off at 48V and my charge controller charges to 56v, why do I need communication? Added complexity and more gizmos don’t make sense to me. (This is my personal opinion) 

If it comes at good price and comes with at least a 5 year warranty, I would go for it. 

The "5 year warranty" will come with conditions, like which BMS did you use, what was the temp of the batteries, overcharge, faults etc?

So, if you're going to try save a few bucks make sure you have all the info before buying.....A good price today does not indicate an inexpensive total-cost-of-ownership over the life of your system.

Also, which inverter do you have, make sure your inverter can talk to your batteries.

Look at most of the posts on the forum are from people who buy parts that don't talk to each other and then have to start writing code etc. to get everything to work in a

half-arse fashion. 

• 1 month later...
On 2020/12/11 at 8:30 PM, SolergyAdmin said:

Hi all,

I'm new to Powerforum, been on for a while but it's my first post so I hope ya'll are friendly tonight lol

Could anyone please provide me with reviews on this battery please?

And if possible also on the Averge 48v 100ah pretty please?

Thanks in advance :)

I can't comment on Hoselect... however Averge batteries are known cell phone tower batteries and not a brand you would typically buy over the counter in SA read this..https://m-net.dstv.com/show/carte-blanche/news/do-you-have-a-stolen-deep-cycle-battery/news

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021/02/12 at 8:13 PM, Faith said:

Hi there - I Have a Hoselect battery, 48v but need the manual - this was lost during the installation process. 

Can someone please share a copy with me? I can DM for the details. 

@FaithHow is your battery performing? I've been looking to buy this brand

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...