Solar. Holy Smokes!

THanks @Vassen @Achmat @YellowTapemeasure

22 hours ago, Vassen said:

However, it seems like all the dc and ac wiring is in the same trunking with is not allowed according to SANS specifications. 

Oh fok. So is it a big deal? I will need to ask them to change it. The cables also go through the same hole in the wall. Is this an issue as well?

20 hours ago, YellowTapemeasure said:

Agreed with @vassen on the separation of AC and DC circuits though.

The pics are never complete if we do not get to see the solar panels, please consider posting a few pics of those 455W Bad Boys? 😍

I will take a pic of the panels tomorrow. 

21 minutes ago, Vassen said:

Sorry, but the correct answer would be yes. Okay, well depends how big a hole you talking about. If you can still separate them into different conduits / sprague then it still should be fine, just keep them separate all the way. If this is. It possible, the you will need to drill another hole. 

I know a lot of people don’t think it’s a big deal but if you were to have a problem down the line and insurance refused to pay because the install was not according to regulations, you are going to want to kick yourself. Best to fix it now, else it will be forgotten. 

Thanks a lot.

It's going to be an interesting conversation with the installer in the morning.

On 07/01/2021 at 11:21 PM, coachpotato said:

Ah, I forgot that the SolarElectricityHandbook.com Solar Irradiance calculator said my panels should be at 56 degrees for "Optimal Year Round" irradiance. If I build a carport type structure for the panels (which doubles as entertainment area) then that is one hell of a pitch on the roof. It would look better to have a flat roof and then just mount the panels at an angle?

Which angle did you end up going with? I don't think the 56 is correct. 

1 hour ago, Speedster said:

The main roof is at a 15 degree angle and the new steel structure will be 20 degrees. I'm still waiting for the architects to design that.

I just decided to use the angles I have available instead of trying to optimise it to the perfect angle, for maybe 20 extra kw over the whole year.

1 hour ago, Speedster said:

Sorry I forgot that the 56 degree from that solar handbook, is the top angle, no the bottom angle - which is the actual pitch of the roof. So when that solar handbook calculator says 56 degrees degrees is optimal, they actually mean 34 degrees pitch.

13 hours ago, coachpotato said:

The main roof is at a 15 degree angle and the new steel structure will be 20 degrees. I'm still waiting for the architects to design that.

I just decided to use the angles I have available instead of trying to optimise it to the perfect angle, for maybe 20 extra kw over the whole year.

That makes a lot of sense. I found this calculator to be a handy resource.

On 2021/01/27 at 9:41 PM, Achmat said:

First thing you should do is request an update if you are not yet on the latest version. 

How long should the update take?

I contacted Sunsynk, supplied the SN for the inverter and logger and I got an email this morning at 07:45 saying "Ok. Updating...Please wait.".

All the power on the essential circuit went off (including my fibre router. DOH) but then nothing happened for about 15 minutes. I went and checked everything and noticed that the essential DB Earth Leakage had tripped.

So I clicked it back up and added a little CCTV battery backup device to the fibre router (just in case they try again) but I don't think anything updated:

COMM: e413 / MCU: 3876

COMM was "e413" when it was installed but I can't remember what MCU was.

I emailed them again to query what happened.

2 hours ago, coachpotato said:

How long should the update take?

I contacted Sunsynk, supplied the SN for the inverter and logger and I got an email this morning at 07:45 saying "Ok. Updating...Please wait.".

All the power on the essential circuit went off (including my fibre router. DOH) but then nothing happened for about 15 minutes. I went and checked everything and noticed that the essential DB Earth Leakage had tripped.

So I clicked it back up and added a little CCTV battery backup device to the fibre router (just in case they try again) but I don't think anything updated:

COMM: e413 / MCU: 3876

COMM was "e413" when it was installed but I can't remember what MCU was.

I emailed them again to query what happened.

Seems there was an update since my last update. It normally takes a few minutes. 

This is my current software versions. So your software is newer than mine. 

Screenshot_20210204-114148_SOLARMAN Business.jpg

9 hours ago, Achmat said:

Can you share some of your screens. I want to check if there is anything different in your software compared to mine. 

They should really publish a change log when they update the software. 

Will do. From what I remember of the pics you posted in another thread, it looked identical.

They replied again and said:

"Good day, COM updating, need 30min"

It seems like only the COMM changed to e415. The rest stayed the same.

image.png.2e96d2b4eeab85514b3fcfe63bd775a3.png

14 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Will do. From what I remember of the pics you posted in another thread, it looked identical.

They replied again and said:

"Good day, COM updating, need 30min"

It seems like only the COMM changed to e415. The rest stayed the same.

image.png.2e96d2b4eeab85514b3fcfe63bd775a3.png

I asked them what are the changes from my version to your version via WhatsApp and got no response even though they've read the message. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021/01/27 at 9:26 PM, coachpotato said:

So I'm up and running. 🥳

8kw Sunsynk + 2 x US3000C + 7 x 455w JA Solar Mono (single string on the main roof facing NW). 

That is very close to the setup I envisage (maybe I'll just drop to 5kW as I recently installed a solar geyser).  If you dont mind me asking ... who did the install and what was the damage?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 2021/01/28 at 4:19 AM, Tariq said:

My bms shows 53.5 volts at 100 % SOC, @coachpotatoshows 51.5 volts also using Pylontechs, any ideas why the bms on the same battery manufacturer would differ

I see that nobody replied to your post. 

I haven't actually checked my settings since last year really. "If it aint broke, dun fix it". BUT, with the latest round of load shedding, I added another US3000C, so I have 3 of them now. I also updated my firmware on Friday so my values are different. I don't know if the update changed it, or adding another battery did, or what what.

20220118_111834.jpg.d0d01c31211b55bffc1fa5b0dd63da9a.jpg

SOOOOO, it took a year, due to municipality & architect shenanigans, but I eventually got that "NE facing structure (that could double as an entertainment area)" built and completed. 

"I am going to put 1 string of 7 panels on that 15 degree roof facing 310 degrees (almost NW) and then 1 string of 7 panels on a new steel structure facing 40 degrees (almost NE)"

Tick, and Tick. They are adding a 1m high turbo cowl on top of the chimney, so the heat from the chimney shouldn't be a problem.

I changed my geyser element from a standard 3kw to a 2kw Titanium one (as I've had a Geyserwise for a while) and added a third Pylontech US3000C.

I updated my Sunsynk firmware. I haven't fiddled with the battery firmware.

All in all, it's running very well. I'm happy.

I think the NE facing array will help big time with the Winter sun and early morning generation.

Next project is changing from electric hob to gas hob. 

20220118_112441.jpg

20220118_112942.jpg

20220118_111834.jpg

20220118_111918.jpg

20220118_111959.jpg

20220118_112010.jpg

8 hours ago, coachpotato said:

I added another US3000C, so I have 3 of them now. I also updated my firmware on Friday so my values are different. I don't know if the update changed it, or adding another battery did, or what what.

20220118_111834.jpg.d0d01c31211b55bffc1fa5b0dd63da9a.jpg

Hi coachpotato out of interest, did you set discharge to 111A or did the bms automatically select that value of 111A. I have set the settings today on a Sunsynk and I have set the discharge value to 160A but the bms displayed 200A. 

D99D333D-68E1-431A-8952-DB4B7D710F96.jpeg

11 hours ago, Gerrie said:

Hi coachpotato out of interest, did you set discharge to 111A or did the bms automatically select that value of 111A. I have set the settings today on a Sunsynk and I have set the discharge value to 160A but the bms displayed 200A. 

Hi Gerrie. I'm a complete novice with this stuff but, from what I read and understood:

If you set the charge/discharge values on the inverter to be higher than the BMS levels, then the BMS will use it's own values.
If you set the charge/discharge values on the inverter to be lower than the BMS levels, then it charges/discharges at those lower levels and not the higher BMS level as the inverter is only pushing out the lower level.

With this in mind, I just copied the BMS values into the Battery Setup page as it doesn't do it automatically. 

I should have a look at all the BMS values while the batteries are charging, then I would be able to verify it all. I've just been to busy.

19 hours ago, Gerrie said:

It is interesting that your batt voltage is so high, 55.32V? No alarms on the Pylontechs?

Also, top right of screen, yours says LiBMS:00 whereas coachpotato's says LiBMS:01