SunSynk 5kW inverter - some questions

CSolar

Hi. I am looking to replace my old inverter with a SunSynk 5kW and have a few questions before I pull the trigger. I hope someone can help!

Q1: My understanding is that these inverters has a “pass-through” function, I.e. if my essential load exceed 5kw any additional power needed will be drawn from the grid (up to 35A)

Q2: Assuming the above is correct, let’s use an example. PV produces 3000W but essential loads is now at 6000W. Will the inverter take 3000W from the grid, or will it take all 6000W from the grid (i.e. take everything from the grid once it breaches 5000W)? I have assumed that the inverter is set to not use batteries when there is grid power available.

Q3: I understand that it is possible to direct excess PV power to off-set the grid draw on non-essential circuits (like my geyser). Is this correct? So let’s say PV generates 3000W, essential circuits are drawing 2000W and batteries are full. Geyser switches on`and draws 2500W - the excess 1000W will be used and only 1500W will be used from the grid?

Q4: I understand that Smartload function can be set to use the Gen relay as an output if the PV generation and battery limits are within specified ranges. Let’s say I connect my geyser to this, does this mean that my geyser will not be switched on if there are a number of cloudy days and the PV limit is never such that this function comes on? Or is it relatively easy to wire it in a way where the geyser is still switched on from the grid if it drops below a certain temp / certain times of the day (using Geyserwise or something)?

22 minutes ago, CSolar said:

Hi. I am looking to replace my old inverter with a SunSynk 5kW and have a few questions before I pull the trigger. I hope someone can help!

Q1: My understanding is that these inverters has a “pass-through” function, I.e. if my essential load exceed 5kw any additional power needed will be drawn from the grid (up to 35A)

Q2: Assuming the above is correct, let’s use an example. PV produces 3000W but essential loads is now at 6000W. Will the inverter take 3000W from the grid, or will it take all 6000W from the grid (i.e. take everything from the grid once it breaches 5000W)? I have assumed that the inverter is set to not use batteries when there is grid power available.

Q3: I understand that it is possible to direct excess PV power to off-set the grid draw on non-essential circuits (like my geyser). Is this correct? So let’s say PV generates 3000W, essential circuits are drawing 2000W and batteries are full. Geyser switches on`and draws 2500W - the excess 1000W will be used and only 1500W will be used from the grid?

Q4: I understand that Smartload function can be set to use the Gen relay as an output if the PV generation and battery limits are within specified ranges. Let’s say I connect my geyser to this, does this mean that my geyser will not be switched on if there are a number of cloudy days and the PV limit is never such that this function comes on? Or is it relatively easy to wire it in a way where the geyser is still switched on from the grid if it drops below a certain temp / certain times of the day (using Geyserwise or something)?

1. Yes. Pass through is 35A combined and not in addition. 

2. It will blend. It will take whatever pv and battery can provide for the essential loads then only topup the difference from the grid. 

3. Correct again. You could even put your geyser on the second aux output of the inverter so you could power it during load shedding if you want. 

4. See 3. Yes you can. @Tariqis using the smart load on his 2kw geyser and it works a charm. It was created for this. Excess pv to go to hot water. Geyserwise and connecting it to the aux would give you the best of both in that if its a very sunny day and there is load shedding, you could still send excess pv to the geyser element. 

Hi Achmat

With regards to question 1, lets say the pv is creating 2000w, would this mean that the inverter will use 2000w from solar, then still able to draw another 35amps from the grid? Or does it mean you take the 2000w (+_9amps) away from the 35amp total so can now only draw +_ 26 amps.

Edited by Greglsh

15 minutes ago, Greglsh said:

Hi Achmat

With regards to question 1, lets say the pv is creating 2000w, would this mean that the inverter will use 2000w from solar, then still able to draw another 35amps from the grid? Or does it mean you take the 2000w (+_9amps) away from the 35amp total so can now only draw +_ 26 amps.

The second option. This was from feedback from other users. I've asked sunsynk directly for an answer to this but they have not responded officially. 

I have the 8kw sunsynk and only ever pushed it to 9kw and it used from pv and batteries to 8kw and the balance was taken from the grid. 

8 minutes ago, Greglsh said:

Hi Achmat

With regards to question 1, lets say the pv is creating 2000w, would this mean that the inverter will use 2000w from solar, then still able to draw another 35amps from the grid?

That would be normal operation for the Sunsynk, it will use the 2000W from PV, and draw whatever else it needs from grid, battery or gen (depending on how it's set up) for a max of 25 Amps (5500W).

On AC passthrough the details are in the specs, but it lacks implementation detail, The manual quotes "Max AC Output Current (A)" as 25 A, but "Max Continuous AC Passthrough (A)" as 35A. This could mean that it will allow a further 10A as passthrough from the grid (over an above the 25A).

Some unofficial sources seem to suggest that it will operate normally (blend all available sources) up to 5000W (or 5500W for 30 minutes), if demand is greater than that it will only pull from the grid (passthrough) at up to 35A. I tried to get clarification here, but alas no official response (although there's a very detailed response from another user, makes for good reading). I haven't tested it, my own 5K Sunsynk is more than adequate for my needs.

12 hours ago, Achmat said:

1. Yes. Pass through is 35A combined and not in addition. 

2. It will blend. It will take whatever pv and battery can provide for the essential loads then only topup the difference from the grid. 

3. Correct again. You could even put your geyser on the second aux output of the inverter so you could power it during load shedding if you want. 

4. See 3. Yes you can. @Tariqis using the smart load on his 2kw geyser and it works a charm. It was created for this. Excess pv to go to hot water. Geyserwise and connecting it to the aux would give you the best of both in that if its a very sunny day and there is load shedding, you could still send excess pv to the geyser element. 

Thanks very much for the responses. I am not familiar with the aux function, how does this work?

10 hours ago, Tariq said:

When pv does not reach 2 kW ( my element is 2 kW) on a cloudy day to activate the Smart Load function, I then tick the “Aways On Grid”, then it works the same as an essential circuit.

Thanks @Tariq . Is there not a way to wire it up so that you don’t need manual intervention on cloudy days? Or did I not understand correctly?

44 minutes ago, CSolar said:

Thanks very much for the responses. I am not familiar with the aux function, how does this work?

The sunsynk has 3 connections. 

The first is the grid input for the incoming grid connection. The servings is the ups or load connection for your essential loads. The third is a configurable input/output connection known as the aux connection. You can configure this as an output for other loads such as a geyser or aircons and run these from excess solar. Or you can use it as an input for a generator, micro inverter or wind turbine. 

If you use the aux output for your non essential loads you can then use these appliances during load shedding if you have excess solar generation whereas if you leave these before the inverter you will not be able to use them during load shedding. 

I have my whole house on the ups connection and still contemplating what to do with the aux. Considering a 3kw wind turbine so I have wind power when the sun is not out. 

50 minutes ago, CSolar said:

Thanks @Tariq . Is there not a way to wire it up so that you don’t need manual intervention on cloudy days? Or did I not understand correctly?

You can leave it set to on grid always on so you don't need any manual intervention. 

• 1 year later...

I have a question regarding the PV input specification:

Max stated DC input power is 5500W. 2 X MPPT strings of max 11Amps each. Max Dc input voltage of 500V.

My question: Is it 5500W per MPPT, or a combination of 5500W total for the two MPPT controllers?

May I install 5000W on one MPPT controller or 10 000W on two MPPT controllers and the inverter system would be happy.

Thank you.

21 minutes ago, Hartenbos said:

I have a question regarding the PV input specification:

Max stated DC input power is 5500W. 2 X MPPT strings of max 11Amps each. Max Dc input voltage of 500V.

My question: Is it 5500W per MPPT, or a combination of 5500W total for the two MPPT controllers?

May I install 5000W on one MPPT controller or 10 000W on two MPPT controllers and the inverter system would be happy.

Thank you.

5500w for the Inverter in total - the Amps were upgraded to 13A not the 11A. Max string input of 500v / mppt

I believe it IS possible to overspec and the inverter wont complain as long as you dont exceed the 500V / mppt @Leshen @steve can you confirm?

6 minutes ago, mzezman said:

5500w for the Inverter in total - the Amps were upgraded to 13A not the 11A. Max string input of 500v / mppt

I believe it IS possible to overspec and the inverter wont complain as long as you dont exceed the 500V / mppt @Leshen @steve can you confirm?

Correct. You can overspec with current but not voltage.