BRAND NEW 8KW SUNSUNK INVERTER DIED ON ME

EugeneN

3 minutes ago, Gerrie said:

I don’t know what I would of done if I was in a similar situation. I think normally if their was a problem with the inverter from the commissioning that the installer picked up they should definitely replace the unit, but the fact that it did work for a certain period of time and only than became faulty is the grey area where the terms and conditions become the choice of the supplier. Just my understanding of things.

I do think that it’s great that they fixed the unit in a reasonable time and gives me a bit of re-assurance with my own Sunsynk should something go wrong with the unit.

Maybe you should twist their arm for a free Sunsynk logger or extended warrantee to make up for lost production😉

Hi. Ive already asked to be part of the beta testing forbthe Sunsynk Logger and they agreed. Its not in SA yet but apparently the ship is on its. Looking forward to realtime updates and being able to change the settings from the app. 

16 hours ago, Gerrie said:

I don’t know what I would of done if I was in a similar situation. I think normally if their was a problem with the inverter from the commissioning that the installer picked up they should definitely replace the unit, but the fact that it did work for a certain period of time and only than became faulty is the grey area where the terms and conditions become the choice of the supplier. Just my understanding of things.

I do think that it’s great that they fixed the unit in a reasonable time and gives me a bit of re-assurance with my own Sunsynk should something go wrong with the unit.

Maybe you should twist their arm for a free Sunsynk logger or extended warrantee to make up for lost production😉

There is no "grey area" @Gerrie and it It really doesn't matter what is in the terms and conditions. According to the Consumer Protection Act you are entitled to a replacement unit for the first 6 months of the warranty. They aren't doing you a favor doing it, that is the law.

23 hours ago, Sc00bs said:

It really doesn't matter what is in the terms and conditions.

I don’t agree with this statement even the CPA have terms for when you can get a replacement, if there were any fault on the part of the consumer these terms will determine the course of the claim.

On 2021/09/14 at 8:41 PM, EugeneN said:

Hi. Ive already asked to be part of the beta testing forbthe Sunsynk Logger and they agreed. Its not in SA yet but apparently the ship is on its. Looking forward to realtime updates and being able to change the settings from the app. 

Eugene,

Where did you apply??  I would also like to do so.

Regards,

Rian

1 hour ago, Gerrie said:

I don’t agree with this statement even the CPA have terms for when you can get a replacement, if there were any fault on the part of the consumer these terms will determine the course of the claim.

What I am saying @Gerrie is that the terms and conditions can't say that the CPA doesn't apply to them. 

If it was a consumer/installation issue, I would have thought that they would have said something to @EugeneN

It is pretty clear what your rights are, it is obviously up to the consumer whether they enforce those rights or not.

Hi. Just a status update.

I accepted the repaired unit, the main board was swapped out, even has a new serial number now. The system was installed on Friday and running smooth so far. Hoping it lasts longer than last time which was 2 weeks so not setting the bar high.

Interesting to note that my 8 bifacial panels which are rated for a total output of 4.28KW exceeded their rating in Saturday and reached a peak of 4.71KW. Impressive since its not even summer yet which is when I expect that to be topped.

24 minutes ago, EugeneN said:

I accepted the repaired unit, the main board was swapped out, even has a new serial number now. The system was installed on Friday and running smooth so far. Hoping it lasts longer than last time which was 2 weeks so not setting the bar high.

Interesting to note that my 8 bifacial panels which are rated for a total output of 4.28KW exceeded their rating in Saturday and reached a peak of 4.71KW. Impressive since its not even summer yet which is when I expect that to be topped.

I've got some bad news for you on the PV production front. In summer, the panels get hot and reduce their output, but you do get longer sunshine hours which helps.

I find that September is my best month for PV production because we get good sunshine and its cool! In summer in JHB we get rain, cloud etc so summer months are actually not that great, Spring is best.

1 minute ago, FixAMess said:

I've got some bad news for you on the PV production front. In summer, the panels get hot and reduce their output, but you do get longer sunshine hours which helps.

I find that September is my best month for PV production because we get good sunshine and its cool! In summer in JHB we get rain, cloud etc so summer months are actually not that great, Spring is best.

You learn something every day. 👍

• 8 months later...
On 2021/09/20 at 12:00 PM, EugeneN said:

Hi, I'm planning on installing bifacial panels to take advantage of extra output. Can you please share pics of your solar panel installation? Want to see how they are mounted on structure, height, spacing etc.

Edited by LionKing

@EugeneN

Just to add to the original post about a failed SunSynk...

Not sure if my story and @EugeneN's are related/tied - but the time frame seems close (Sept/Oct 2021).

In my case, the "installer" (solarbay/hellosolar/Jonathan Stephenson) incorrectly installed new inverter at a site (not my site).
After a few weeks it malfunctioned.
SunSynk replaced the inverter and used their installer to fix solarbay/hellosolar/Jonathan Stephenson mess.

SunSynk repaired the unit and return it to solarbay/hellosolar/Jonathan Stephenson.
Solarbay/hellosolar/Jonathan Stephenson offered me the repaired unit.
I was glad to accept the unit as they owed me ~R120,000 of equipment, reduced my loss to ~R90,000.

I spoke to Jean at SunSynk and he confirmed the history and that the warranty was same as a new inverter.
I used a reputable & certified installer to install the repaired SunSynk unit.
The unit has been working 100% since installation.

Thanks Jean/SunSynk. Great to have a great product and good local support 🙂

Still trying to recover my R90,000 loss from solarbay/hellosolar/Jonathan Stephenson 😡

Edited by system32

35 minutes ago, system32 said:

@EugeneN

In my case, the "installer" (solarbay/hellosolar/Jonathan Stephenson) incorrectly installed new inverter at a site (not my site).
After a few weeks it malfunctioned.
SunSynk replaced the inverter and used their installer to fix solarbay/hellosolar/Jonathan Stephenson mess.

Curious, how was it installed incorrectly?

24 minutes ago, LionKing said:

Curious, how was it installed incorrectly?

Not sure what solarbay/hellosolar/Jonathan Stephenson did as it was not at my site.
IIRC, two new SunSynk inverters malfunctioned at the site.
SynSynk then sent their installer with the 2nd repaired unit to the site to correctly cable & install the inverter.
I just inherited the 1st repaired SunSynk unit.

Based on my experience with solarbay/hellosolar/Jonathan Stephenson not surprised at all that something went wrong.
At my site, the partial install they did was not according the electrical code (wrong awg cables, PV not earthed, no conduit for 380VDC PV, panels not evenly mounted, etc)

Edited by system32

3 hours ago, LionKing said:

Hi, I'm planning on installing bifacial panels to take advantage of extra output. Can you please share pics of your solar panel installation? Want to see how they are mounted on structure, height, spacing etc.

1 hour ago, EugeneN said:

Sorry. I tried but not sure how to upload pics. They are not exceeding the 3MB limit.

I normally do a screen shot to reduce the file size.  Then just click on ADD FILES and browse to the image to upload on the forum.