How Sunsynk bricked my 8kw inverter after a software update

JuliusK

12 hours ago, markus_m2 said:

Sunsynk has an excellent reputation locally, but recent support issues has that reputation (no longer so) slowly waning...

As alluded to in a previous post, having a local support centre means F-all if this is the level of support we get!

I'm really saddened by the level of service that I have received from Sunsynk. They portray a much better company than they actually deliver. 

On 2023/04/15 at 7:10 AM, JuliusK said:

Your suggestion is not unreasonable. 

But in our day and age where everyone including my mom has done a software update on their phone, we could manage these ourselves if the system was designed / programmed with that in mind. 

My ideal scenario in a perfect world would be that you register your inverter with Sunsynk upon installation. Then Sunsynk emails you with an update stating that there is new firmware available for your version of inverter, or even a pop up comes up in your app? 

Then you could walk over to the inverter and select the Update Software in the menu option on the inverter display. The inverter then checks in with home base, downloads the latest firmware and asks if you would like to proceed with the update now or later? 

Reminding you that when you do the update it (the inverter) will disconnect all loads for the duration of the upgrade. Do you wish to proceed? 

All of the above could also be handled within your app, following the exact same process.

I don't think that this is an unreasonable expectation in our day and age and level of technology that we are exposed to on a daily basis.

Why should firmware updates still be done manually in the factory in China? 

Well articulated. In an ideal world Sunsynk would have a dedicated team, by now... which is able to soak up such great and good ideas for implementing onto their systems. Being in Telecoms myself and closely linked with the mobile industry, this is not difficult nor costly to implement at all.

This thread casts a long shadow of uneasiness in the mind of someone thinking of purchasing a Sunsynk inverter. I for one certainly will begin to explore Victron products, despite the obvious higher price knock that will come with that decision. Peace of mind and a robust, quick and efficient "After sales support system", is invaluable. Imagine going a week or more without power after having done such a massive investment into backup power, given the current load shedding🤯

35 minutes ago, Moffat said:

This thread casts a long shadow of uneasiness in the mind of someone thinking of purchasing a Sunsynk inverter. I for one certainly will begin to explore Victron products, despite the obvious higher price knock that will come with that decision. Peace of mind and a robust, quick and efficient "After sales support system", is invaluable. Imagine going a week or more without power after having done such a massive investment into backup power, given the current load shedding🤯

What setup do u currently have?

On 2023/04/15 at 8:37 AM, Leshen said:

I contacted Sunsynk now. Here is a snapshot of the messages. 

A1B1BFB4-D667-44EB-B494-5B97397EFA43.jpeg

FCBD1CE3-3821-4D78-9312-12528FB16B31.jpeg

I'm also on that group, and I wondered if it was one of you folks asking the question!

Please note though, as far as I understand it's not an official Sunsynk support group. It's something set up and managed by Segen Solar, one of the main importers in SA.

So "Nancy Deye" might say it's okay, but I'm not sure if that will hold up under scrutiny.

Just now, Bernardf said:

And it will still be cheaper than Victron or SMA...

I own a few Victron stuff they are very nice. They were market leaders before the sunsynk/deye came along,they could of easily produced a similar all in one unit and continued to dominate the market just because of their good name. They missed a huge opportunity in my opinion. 

32 minutes ago, suds7162 said:

Please note though, as far as I understand it's not an official Sunsynk support group. It's something set up and managed by Segen Solar, one of the main importers in SA.

So "Nancy Deye" might say it's okay, but I'm not sure if that will hold up under scrutiny.

Well here's a problem. If there are multiple importers that's going to be problematic.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I worked for then official distributor of Casio products in SA (and by extension Africa south of the Equator). Then other folks started importing the same products. We had had to set up proper service channels and that included maintaining a certain stock of parts according to what we had ordered (and things like having multimeters and even solder that met Casio's specifications), and that cost us money (workshops, staff, stock, tools). Now did these guys have all that in place (we had our doubts), and why was stuff they imported being sent to us for repair? 

If we wanted to be hard-assed, this product was none of our business nor concern. Why should we provide service using facilities that we had spent money to put in place for somebody else who was importing via what we now call the grey market? 

But that was hard for the customers to understand. After all, they'd spent their hard-earned money on Casio, and were the Casio agents, weren't we? 

So I don't know how far along this sort of path things have gotten, but I think it's harsh to place all the blame with Segen if other folks are importing this same product.

Edited by Bobster.
spelin

7 hours ago, suds7162 said:

I'm also on that group, and I wondered if it was one of you folks asking the question!

Do you know who can I ask that will give me a valid answer which can be held under scrutiny?

16 hours ago, Leshen said:

Do you know who can I ask that will give me a valid answer which can be held under scrutiny?

Nope, sorry. 

Make it your installer's problem. If you need the update for some reason, get your installer to request the update and advise you on what you need to do. Safest route is probably to remove the load from the inverter. On that support group it seems like they respond and action quite quickly so you might not have to wait too long. I'm also a version or 6 behind, and have been considering asking for an update, but I have no reason why I need that update now.

I get a strong sense that if you as a civilian requested the update, and it blew up, Sunsynk is going to make your life difficult, because you did not follow the sanctioned and approved procedure. Make sure your installer is on the Sunsynk list of approved installers.

I can finally give an update to the status of my inverter after it go to Sunsynk last week Friday. Sunsynk got the inverter on their workbench on Monday morning and performed all their tests and check and found that both boards were damaged(top and bottom as they call it), the faulty boards were replaced and the unit tested. The unit was then booked for an over night courier this morning and it now on the way back to me.

Overall I am extremely grateful and happy at the speed at which this repair was completed. My expectation were not very high by the other stories that I have read on this forum.

I do have to say that getting hold of any of the repair team is extremely difficult. I would have to call several times a day to attempt to speak to someone, at times holding on for 30 mins.

Overall I couldn't have asked for a better result in relation to the speed of the repair.

On 2023/04/17 at 10:06 AM, Leshen said:

What setup do u currently have?

At the moment I have:

• 12 x 250W panels
  • 3kva Chinese inverter
  • 1 x 100ah BlueCarbon Lithium battery

My loads are:

• 1 x Upright fridge
  • 1 x Chest freezer
  • 1 x 0.5Hp Booster pump
  • 11 x LED lights
  • Entertainment system (LED TV & Decoder)
  • 2 x Laptops
  • 3 x Mobile phones

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Just received latest FWU from Sunsynk for my 8Kw Inverter MCU:6024-0717 at 14:00pm today.

I applied on-line this morning using the Sunsynk https://sunsynk.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/7400  Nancy confirmed my update.

About 2hrs later the power went off and I thought the Earth leakage had tripped, no it hadn't. Went over to the Inverter and looked on the Screen and there on the top left corner (where it normally says "ON" in a green circle) I could see numbers counting, this told me a Firmware Update was in progress.

It took the best part of 7mins to load and the power came back on without an issue.

I've had my Inverter since October 2021 this is my 5th FWU, never once was I given a warning on the on-line application or through my email confirmation that I should lower my "LOADS" or any warning precaution. 

The only thing is, you do not know when the Firmware upgrade will take place and you actually forget about it until the power goes off, then you jump to conclusions of what the hell has tripped the power off.

So to conclude I have been lucky with the Firmware Updates thus far and to add, if I may, Sunsynk replaced my WIFI Motherboard and Data Logger, the Logger just stopped functioning without reason, so without any fuss, just last week, with the assistance from Dino and Chantelle at Sunsynk Joburg, they immediately exchanged my Data Logger with a new one via Courier but still did not function, the next day a new WIFI Motherboard was Couriered and all is functioning very well hence my FWU today.

I reside in Cape Town by the way.

On 2023/04/13 at 2:53 PM, Nexuss said:

I dont understand why they cant just give us the files so that we can do it ourselves,then you can ensure there are no large loads on the inverter. Usually they do upgrades at around 4am but ive had a few at about 11am when it was under full load pumping max power ,luckily nothing broke.

Then it would be easy to flash the Deye Inverter to a Sunsynk Inverter....😂

On 2023/04/13 at 5:21 PM, Don said:

Logic would tell you, if you want to update the firmware and overwrite the eeprom, only the inferter and the battery should be running. Disconnect everything else, especially any load on the inverter. Or do people think it is wise to do this while the inverter is trying to manage 3kW of load in the background? After the firmware upgrade, the inverter probably needs to be re-booted in any case. I have never seen a doctor trying to do a knee replacement while a guy is busy doing a marathon. 

A little bit late to the party. But I can add my 5 cents on this. In my line of work,  Servers or computers do allow technicians to perform bios updates while the server is running. There was a  time when it was definitely not possible or catastrophic but we are past that now. However as already pointed out by others, SunSynk messed up by installing the wrong firmware. The rest is history. I suppose business is booming at a fast pace, no one is paying attention to things like this. They are living up to the Chinese reputation of creating great products and messing up on little things.

Edited by Magetsi

• 7 months later...
On 2023/04/13 at 5:21 PM, Don said:

Logic would tell you, if you want to update the firmware and overwrite the eeprom, only the inferter and the battery should be running. Disconnect everything else, especially any load on the inverter. Or do people think it is wise to do this while the inverter is trying to manage 3kW of load in the background? After the firmware upgrade, the inverter probably needs to be re-booted in any case. I have never seen a doctor trying to do a knee replacement while a guy is busy doing a marathon. 

Well, according to your logic, the patient should watch what the doctor is doing, and then stop the doctor before he/she makes an error.  Also, according to your logic, it is the patient's responsibility to know how to do a knee replacement.  That means, if the patient stands on the operating table and the doctor does the procedure, it is the patient's fault. The manual clearly stated that you should not stand while the doctor is operating on your knee. LOL