DB Board labelling

We are busy separating the DB board into a normal and back up (UPS) section. What are the legal requirements regarding labelling to indicate that the back up (UPS) section will still be live in case of a power failure or if the main switch is switched off? Is it also required to have a visual (light) indicator to show that this section of the DB Board is still live?

46 minutes ago, Fuenkli said:

Is it also required to have a visual (light) indicator to show that this section of the DB Board is still live?

I would also like to know the full requirements. I simply have a large printed label that reads "WARNING: ALTERNATE SUPPLY PRESENT", and then there is a red light on top of the box that is powered from the inverter output.

Basically a simplified version of the DB requirements are as follows;

• Grid Main Switch
  • Inverter Main Switch
  • A label at the Main Switch indicating that an Alternative Supply is in use
  • A label stating that in an emergency BOTH Grid Main and Inverter Main to be switched off
  • An indicator lamp after Inverter Main Switch to show that alternative power is present on the DB 

FWW , I still , should have a set or two from my last print. I must just go and look for it. Not sure what the sapo rates are but let me know if I must go and dig for it :)

O ja , there is a spelling mistake somewhere , but that's on Plonker as he waited until after the prints was done to say something. :P 

8 hours ago, SilverNodashi said:

solar should be blue as well

I thought it was supposed to be green? I mean sure, I like the blue tint, but in popular understanding it's supposedly green :-)

1 hour ago, PaulF007 said:

there is a spelling mistake somewhere , but that's on Plonker as he waited until after the prints was done to say something:P 

I blame the internet and all the youngsters who are so damn sensitive about being corrected on their spelling. I've trained myself to let it go, repeatedly if I have to. Honestly thought you'd pick up on it :-)

There's a spelling mistake right at the top of this post too and it has been driving me nuts... but I won't be saying anything more :-)

2 hours ago, plonkster said:

There's a spelling mistake right at the top of this post too and it has been driving me nuts... but I won't be saying anything more :-)

They drive me bonkers too, my PTSD, SSD, DVD, ADD, FNB all must be held under tight control.

I go back and edit my post over and over ... still some slip through.

Think one must tell, use a private PM even?

To become embarrassed when being kindly helped ... get over that. Not the other way around. :-) 

We have this lady friend originally from England. She will correct my English grammar smack in the middle of a conversation, even in a group conversation in front of everyone. I always say thank you, way I see it, we all learn.

Then one day I noticed she does not do it for anyone else ... I think, must ask her, is it is because I say thank you?

13 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

They drive me bonkers too, my PTSD, SSD, DVD, ADD, FNB all must be held under tight control.

I go back and edit my post over and over ... still some slip through. 

These days it clearly shows "Edited by ..." at the bottom, so this knee-jerk "darn it I used your instead of you're again!" moment isn't even fully private anymore.

I am in absolute agreement, same problem here. If there is just one, I might let it slide. If there is two, hit edit and fix it. Even then some still slip through.

Spelling mistakes in source code is even worse. Yesterday I saw two, one is where Battery is spelled with just one T, the other is Secundary (sic). With code-completing editors such mistakes can be multiplied a hundred times by the time you see it, and then some other guy has his name in the "blame" log next to numerous lines all over because he fixed spelling. Like the "Edited by" flag, I sometimes fear fixing something because source control remembers who changed what line and many people don't look past the first revision.

Fix the indentation in an entire file? Not a chance! That will attribute the entire thing to me!

Edited to change "change" into chance. See what I mean?

Edited by plonkster

7 hours ago, plonkster said:

I thought it was supposed to be green? I mean sure, I like the blue tint, but in popular understanding it's supposedly green :-)

Yes, it's supposed to be green, but since green is generally used to indicate earth, they use blue instead. And that's rather annoying. Renewable Energy should be in the green section, 

7 hours ago, plonkster said:

I blame the internet and all the youngsters who are so damn sensitive about being corrected on their spelling. I've trained myself to let it go, repeatedly if I have to. Honestly thought you'd pick up on it :-)

Does it bother you, too? Perhaps an admin can fix it? :D

Edited by SilverNodashi

Hi I am currently getting every reddy to fix all non conforming items of my installation .Twin pole battery disconect , DC circuit breaker and panel fusing . At the same time I would like to add light on DB indicating that utility power is on . What would be the best to use . What should I ask for . Can anybody help me please . 

8 hours ago, Youda said:

Hi Chris,

I'm using a very similar this one.The first light for Eskom, the second one for inverter. It fits on DIN rail, which is nice. But you can use DIN rail voltmeter for example, if you want to have something more sophisticated. 

SVN127.jpg

These are nice, but it uses a common neutral, meaning the lights don't always work in every installation. And if the neutral comes from Eskom, and Eskom is out, all the lights are out. For that reason I have resorted to using two seperate DIN rail lights.

Just now, SilverNodashi said:

These are nice, but it uses a common neutral, meaning the lights don't always work in every installation. And if the neutral comes from Eskom, and Eskom is out, all the lights are out. For that reason I have resorted to using two seperate DIN rail lights.

You're right! Actually I'm using a slightly different version which has only 2 lights, but each has it's own seperate neutral. An it fits in a single DIN rail module (which I needed as there's never enough space in my DB)

Just now, Youda said:

You're right! Actually I'm using a slightly different version which has only 2 lights, but each has it's own seperate neutral. An it fits in a single DIN rail module (which I needed as there's never enough space in my DB)

Really? Please tell, which make & model is it?