Land Rover Discovery 2. Possible conversion to electric?

Can a conversion like that be done on a petrol Disco 2? Has it been done? I will probably have to look at ways to make the vehicle lighter. Can solar be used to slightly increase the range?Can 4x4 drive be retained?

On 2024/06/18 at 10:00 AM, Pieter454 said:

Can a conversion like that be done on a petrol Disco 2? Has it been done? I will probably have to look at ways to make the vehicle lighter. Can solar be used to slightly increase the range?Can 4x4 drive be retained?

You can get all your answers from Freedom Won. They have done such conversions but for game drives some years ago. They also did one on a Fiat 500.

They are based in Krugersdorp IIRC. 

The problem with range and solar is that you don't have enough space to make a dent in your range. You could be using over 500Wh per km at slowish speed. So you need 1 hr in good sun to replace the power used for 1km with a 500W panel. 

Edited by Scorp007

On 2024/06/18 at 10:00 AM, Pieter454 said:

Have a friend who does EV conversions, he is currently busy with a Land Rover Defender conversion, PM me if you would like his details. 

42 minutes ago, Sc00bs said:

Have a friend who does EV conversions, he is currently busy with a Land Rover Defender conversion, PM me if you would like his details. 

I am impressed to no ends. That  really requires a fusion of mechanical engineering , light current electrical engineering and heavy current electrical engineering expertise . Way above my pay grade ! 

2 hours ago, doodsangel said:

Two questions:

1. After an electric conversion, do they still leak oil?
  2. Get some pics from your friend fi he doesn't mind and share!

Only if the drip tray catchment area is empty 😜😜

On 2024/06/20 at 7:40 PM, BritishRacingGreen said:

I am impressed to no ends. That  really requires a fusion of mechanical engineering , light current electrical engineering and heavy current electrical engineering expertise . Way above my pay grade ! 

He used to work for the McLaren F1 team in the UK (and previously Red Bull I think), he is no slouch.

I suppose the bolt in Electric power unit goes through the existing R380 box & transmission so the way I see it, a perfect conversion because the trucks can carry the heavy weight chassis wise & the drivetrain in these vehicles is over engineered. Probably one of the least complicated conversions available. 

Very funny looking at their website that there is no 300tdi version done yet. I have the same motor in my 110. Probably the most bulletproof mechanical engine that Landy made. The V8 & the others tho, probably a lot of ppl looking at cheapish options to carry out conversions. 

Power unit aside like the HV power conversion taking place the only heads scratching will be on the mating of the Power unit shaft to the Gear Box. Definitely the work of an engineering shop & some special adapters involved there. Other than that I must say a pretty interesting idea. Only question: where can we get a 90kW motor? That is the only missing part for me to actually look at something like this. Wish Tesla was in our market...

I'd have liked to have seen that Land Rover in use. He talks about connecting to the original gear box. Does that mean one still has to/may change gears? AIUI, most EVs just have a choice between forward and reverse because their delivery of torque is so consistent.

I was recently in the UK, trundling down some road at 50 something when the limit was 60 (those roads are too narrow!). There was a Tesla behind me. When a 2nd lane opened up, I stayed left, and he went past me. The acceleration of that Tesla was mind boggling. So he was able to overtake in quite a short distance. 

2 hours ago, Sc00bs said:

He used to work for the McLaren F1 team in the UK (and previously Red Bull I think), he is no slouch.

How did he get that certified for use in London? I'm not saying he didn't, but trying to drive an old Landy around London is not going to be smiled upon by the authorities. There must be some central database they use that links license plate numbers to emission figures, and so they decide if you can enter the clean air zone without penalty. If you just punch in your reg no and it comes up "Land rover" of a certain age, you are going to pay for entrance into the clean air zone. He must have had this certified and registered on rebuild. Otherwise it's only useful out in the country.

Edited by Bobster.

Thanks. @Sc00bs  I am actively busy with a 150kW Land Rover series 3 88 conversion and a monster 240kW defender 90. All 400V systems. I build my own reduction box and drive via the LT230 transfer case. The series is on 44kWh and the defender on 64kWh with CCS fast charge. 

the series should drive in July  I'm using an architecture that is running in several UK land rovers  

my workshops are in West Turffontein if anyone wants to see what I do Also take a look at halleyabbot.com for my Porsche project and @halleyabbot on Instagram.

not tackled a discovery.

46 minutes ago, Steve87 said:

ly question: where can we get a 90kW motor? That is the only missing part for me to actually look at something like this. Wish Tesla was in our market...

From the youtube I placed it seems they source a Tesla motor and fit that with the adaptor plate as that is how I understand the whole interface. 

With Freedom won having built even boat conversions they might give a lot of information. 

I guess importing one will not be an option. Even for most conversions if a 2nd hand one is available makes much more sense from a cost point of view. 

In decades time we might also have more 2nd hand current models to choose from. 

@Bobster. Having this done on a 4x4 means it is great to still have the low range and normal gearbox for certain conditions and not just F & R.

I just wonder how easy it would be to re-register as a electric drive as I know of people that could not get this through in order to use on public roads. This was some time ago. May be by now they have some conditions and red tape in place. 

A vehicle like a Land Rover is a good candidate for such a conversion. For many modern (last 20 years) cars, the suspension will not be up to the job because of the weight of the batteries. But some googling did turn up a company in Vereeniging which does conversions. 

Also what I don't see in that conversion is the regenerative stuff. Another aspect that interests me. Firstly because  people in the UK are talking about having to change the way they drive so as to maximise regeneration. Secondly because brakes on a conventional vehicle throw lots of perfectly good energy away as heat.

Still, he hasn't promised or even hinted at that. He's just saying that he's put in batteries and an electric motor and it costs X. So what you see is what you will pay for.

I don't think FreedomWon will be so forthcoming. Mainly because it's their core business. Not being in the Motor Business so to speak. Is there a production 90kW Weg motor for instance that can be used for a EV conversion or is the Tesla/ EV motor a very special motor with some unique specs?

I'm definitely going to compare specs & see what's out there. Because powering a motor with a HV DC battery through an inverter is not the challenge at all. The challenge is the power unit availability for me. The rest is solvable. So much engineering data available on the Defender & it's gearbox so that's not outside the realm of solution. Thanks guys good thread. 

12 hours ago, Steve87 said:

Probably the most bulletproof mechanical engine that Landy made.

Except maybe for the Defender 2.8i Bmw m52 engine 142kw 280nm torque. I have the 90 and 110 with the 90 on 367k on the clock and the 110 with 187k on the clock, bought both in 1998 and both still going strong.

20120609_111410.jpg.a24a4fdb7661b96c4dafc81007e02262.jpg

Edited by TaliaB

@TaliaByes the BMW straight 6 is a piece of art. One could have called it an early Ineos Granadier because they also using BMW power units & why not they are superb. 

That's just the issue, why would we ever change these motors.. Another good donor I have is a 79 Ford F100 but again with such a historically good engine that was probably one of the longest in production engines the might Ford Straight 6, I probably need to find an abandoned sorry Defender or Beetle that one can play around with. The Defender & Ford are off limits...

9 hours ago, Steve87 said:

@TaliaByes the BMW straight 6 is a piece of art. One could have called it an early Ineos Granadier because they also using BMW power units & why not they are superb. 

That's just the issue, why would we ever change these motors.. Another good donor I have is a 79 Ford F100 but again with such a historically good engine that was probably one of the longest in production engines the might Ford Straight 6, I probably need to find an abandoned sorry Defender or Beetle that one can play around with. The Defender & Ford are off limits...

I have been dreaming of a EV assisted drive on my very old Freelander 1 that I removed the propshaft. Even a low powered 10kW motor could be handy to do duty in the city traffic. 

I rate the BMW 2L diesel as fitted very highly. One of the most economical diesel turbo engines produced.