Where I’ve been

phil.g00

30 minutes ago, Jaws said:

Kusile is going to catch fire next week and Medupi is going to let the smoke out, dont Jinx yourself like that

Never!!!

Was done right with expert installer using proper equipment! 😋

7 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Good, I was not. Full blown smile! 😆

Yeah I'm kidding a bit about your other post about me and my OCD tendencies. That obviously a good install and safe... but those cables hanging together just taped together... well don't come look on my roof right now... I still have to go back up there and cable-tie some of it up... 🙂

6 minutes ago, plonkster said:

... but those cables hanging together just taped together...

I think I took the cherrieS on the cake ito cables hanging all over to where I am today. 😋

It'll be August before I am back to do fully finish this phase off. ( and do the polishing off work).

I completely rebuild the battery bank shelving installing a BMV shunt ready and HA02 battery balancers and individual battery voltmeters and re-rated the string fuses.

That gave me wall space for the inverters and fuses.

I installed 8kWp of 330W panels on the roof, commissioned a 5th Outback and a solar borehole pump too.

35m of heavy copper underground in as well.

Mounted  a further 5kVA of PV inverters, but alas ran out of time for them.

So niceties, neatness, metering, ESS and few other things next time.

For now it's just bare bones working.

Very interesting to note, the 25L yellow container on the top left of the photo is an integral part of future plans.

This set up has maintenance free batteries but 2 years will see them off.

My nephew runs around in a golf cart on the property, and tops the batteries with water  very irregularly. Last time he used 10L and this time 6L of battery water.

I bought it for him this time at R130/5L this time.

Well, I was shocked,  that is more expensive than the diet coke that use with my brandy.

My world was turned upside down.

So that yellow container now collects the adjacent aircon's drippings, and only now overflows when there is a 25L reservoir.

There is a hose out to top up the golf cart, but its real destiny is a future @The Terrible Triplett auto-watering system in mind for future deep-cycle Trojan LA's.

-It collects about a litre an hour on one aircon.

Good evening, the part above: " So that yellow container now collects the adjacent aircon's drippings, and only now overflows when there is a 25L reservoir." Do you mean to use that as a replacement for distilled water? I don't think one can do that...

2 hours ago, Corné said:

replacement for distilled water

Long ago when I was a kid growing up on the farm, we used rain water for the batteries. Now that stuff isn't distilled. It has dust in it, and a minute amount of carbonic acid (hence the PH is something like 6.2). But it was perfectly fine for batteries. I'm sure the water condensed out of the air should be fine too. Also, @The Terrible Triplett will tell you how often the store-bought de-ionised water isn't exactly perfectly clean either. When stored for long periods it can even develop a kind of growth... which means there's carbon in the water.

14 minutes ago, plonkster said:

... store-bought de-ionised water isn't exactly perfectly clean either ...

Jip, see below, the stuff grew in the, what I thought was distilled water which turned out be be de-ionised water, and it smelled!

The lid was sealed for weeks at a time.

Stuff was floating around in the water too, cannot see that in the photo.

image.png.75dd71e5c0db309604d2ed36fcfbe88b.png

Many believe that AC water is clean and that one can drink it. However, many of the smaller contaminants not caught by the filter of the AC will end up on the cooling coils and may end up in the AC water. After reading up on it I did find out that while it contain bacteria and smaller dust particles it does not contain a lot of minerals, which I suppose is what is more important in a battery use scenario. Maybe one should just have the water tested. Also I wonder how much tolerance there is with regards to the water quality? Considering the cost of batteries, buying water may be the safer option.

If de-ionized water is ok hook yourself up with someone that keeps a marine tank.

I keep hard corals & sometimes get my saltwater tested to check i'm not building up metals or such & the company i do that with does a free included rodi water check.

That's a result from my rodi water there in that link - That's a icp test which measures down to parts per billion, the "u" means under detection limits. 

https://lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/3a311c1c37d65cf3224e

If you get some from someone just ask them to run it at zero tds & not above

Edited by 2una