Sunsynk 8kW

Johann1982

I recently installed an 8kW sunsynk inverter with 2x 2.4kWh pylons and 5kW Solar. I split the db so that my dedicated loads run through the load output of the inverter and all the rest through the gen port which I set as a smart load. Smart load activates @ 70% SOC and Off @ 40% SOC. Problem is the smart load keeps dropping away every couple of minutes for about 2 seconds. I have no idea why. No errors or anything. Also, does anyone know of realtime monitoring software for pc? The web interface is very slow and the phone app just as slow. 

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Johann1982 said:

I recently installed an 8kW sunsynk inverter with 2x 2.4kWh pylons and 5kW Solar. I split the db so that my dedicated loads run through the load output of the inverter and all the rest through the gen port which I set as a smart load. Smart load activates @ 70% SOC and Off @ 40% SOC. Problem is the smart load keeps dropping away every couple of minutes for about 2 seconds. I have no idea why. No errors or anything. Also, does anyone know of realtime monitoring software for pc? The web interface is very slow and the phone app just as slow. 

Thanks

I have the same inverter and contacted sunsynk and it might just be normal operation of the aux output. 

Going to be moving all my loads off the aux output over the weekend as I can't handle the random off/on switching off the aux output. 

7 minutes ago, Johann1982 said:

@AchmatIf that is normal for Aux output I have very bad news for them. Totally unacceptable.

Waiting for firmware update to see if that helps.

I gave up trying to troubleshoot with them. They have updated the software to the latest version and the issue still persisted. 

I have my geyser and inverter aircons on the aux output and even with the geyser on and pulling 3kw from the inverter, it would still restart randomly. 

I haven't received an official response that this is normal operation or not. 

My geyser can handle the random switching but not my aircons. Resorted to just switching off the aircons at the circut breaker for now until I can get them moved to the load output of the inverter. 

Edited by Achmat

8 minutes ago, Johann1982 said:

Will check if I can get it sorted. Installed a change over switch to put my non essentials back to eskom for the time being until I can get answers.

Update here if you come right. 

I know of another person that will be installing the 8kw sunsynk in the coming weeks. 

My plan is to eventually add some micro inverters on the aux input and not sure if the restarts will affect them in any way. 

9 hours ago, Vassen said:

My understanding is that the aux output is not meant for normal non essential loads. Its meant to be able to dump excess solar power to geysers, pool pumps, etc. I don't understand the logic of using the aux output for non-essential loads. Its a hybrid inverter with zero export capabilities, so you are able to backfeed to the grid input connection and zero export with the CT coil on your main eskom line. 

However, i see a lot of people requesting this so maybe sunsynk will enable the functionality with a firmware update. 

The reason I want to use the AUX for non essentials is so that everything in my house stays on when there is a power failure and automatically drops away if battery level reaches 40%. During the day it shouldn't be an issue because I have enough solar. I have a couple of mining rigs running on my non essential side that I would like to keep on during daytime loadshedding. So that is why I went with this inverter as it was advertised having 2 outputs which will suite my needs perfectly.

1 hour ago, Johann1982 said:

Does anyone know of realtime monitoring software for these inverters? The portal is dodgey most of the time and slow. Can't wait 5 minutes every time for the logger to upload, would like to be able to see stats real time.

As mentioned by Vassen, I have also not found anything else.

Anyone know what the username and password is when trying to access the logger through the IP address it's assigned when connected to your home wifi network?

2 minutes ago, Johann1982 said:

@AchmatWhat version is your current firmware? I just got the latest update and there is an extra option to select. Ongrid Always on at the aux settings. So it should stay on then. Busy testing now. Will update you with my finding. I am now on V3.8.6.9 

Can you take a pic of the screen?

Is that the only change on the display?

I am on V3.8.5.3

2 minutes ago, Johann1982 said:

Anyone else having trouble with the CT? I think mine might be the wrong way round. I selected export to home and loads and it pushed past my prepaid meter running the units down.

got the CT above the 60A mains breaker in my db with arrow facing down to the breaker as the manual described it. Maybe they got that wrong also.

3 minutes ago, Johann1982 said:

Anyone else having trouble with the CT? I think mine might be the wrong way round. I selected export to home and loads and it pushed past my prepaid meter running the units down.

got the CT above the 60A mains breaker in my db with arrow facing down to the breaker as the manual described it. Maybe they got that wrong also.

Mine is working fine but I'm not in a prepaid meter so my meter will not trip or use units. 

The problem with limited to home is that when big loads switch off that are connected before the inverter, it takes a few seconds for the inverter to pick this up and some electricity might flow back through the meter. 

You will need to increase the electricity draw in settings. I think the default is 40w.

Try increasing this to 100w or 200w. It will then only zero the meter to +100w/200w.

Yeah, seems the CT is the right way round. Just the inverter that decided my home extends past the prepaid meter for some reason. i limited it to loads only and now its working as should. So far the aux load hasn't dropped either so I am holding thumbs.

Requested the latest firmware.

I wonder what the purpose of having the aux output restart every few hours. They obviously know of this issue if they could patch it with a firmware update.

Why not just have it permanently connected when the aux is set as an output?

@AchmatYeah, I don't know why it was like that. So far no drop in aux output. It has a new selection to stay on when grid is available. Funny enough, this morning before the update we had 2.5hours loadshedding. I flipped my change over to inverter for the aux load and it stayed on the whole time, so I switched my mains off before loadshedding stopped and left it for another 2 hours and it kept going. Then after the firmware update switched everything back on as it should be and the inverter started feeding back past my prepaid meter. It was set to zero export limited to HL (home & Load).. It didn't just stay in the home. Had to change it to limit to load only and it stopped exporting. So far so good. No dips.

Have a contact for a local support technician that I received from sunsynk directly. 

He said he'll get them to push through my update by Monday at the latest. Hopefully by tomorrow. 

I'm thinking it's probably a relay that's being triggered at a certain state and the firmware update did not resolve this. 

It's a positive sign at least and that they are ware of this with an attempt at resolving it through a firmware update. 

I only notice it as my inverter aircons in my bedroom and lounge makes a sound when power is restored to them. 

What loads do you have in your aux output? 

Mine is only the two inverter aircons and a Geyserwise connected to my geyser. 

@AchmatMy dedicated loads, lights, computer & tv Plugs, Fridge and coffee machine is connected to load output and stays on always. My aux load is all the rest of my plugs in house and kitchen, geyserwise controller and stove (gas hob). I have a 6 card mining rig running on one of the plugs which I would like to stay on during load shedding, but I don't want it to kill my batteries, that's why it is on aux load so that when SOC reaches 30% it switches off. There's a constant draw of around 2000W on my aux output, so its not even like it goes into standby. The local techs can't do much as they have to put everything through to sunsynk in China. I have been dealing with the Chinese tech support since last week and the language barrier is a big problem. I requested assistance again last night after it went off and the tech replied asking for photos and video of the problem... I mean.. seriously. Aux load keeps cutting every few hours... How to you make a video of that?

My Geyserwise is next to the inverter so I'm thinking of having a dashcam pointed at it and recording continuously to get a video of it restarting. Not that I think a video would help then in any way. 

They need to be looking at the data logs from the inverter to see what's happening on the aux output. 

The only thing we have in common is a Geyserwise controller on the aux output. 

Eish and I thought these troubleshooting struggles are only there with Growatt. Have been having similar challenges in them understanding something very simple where they have the data at their fingertips, but also want videos and photos over and over. Good luck.