Essential items in a Solar installation

Chloe

10 minutes ago, Calvin said:

"For everything else, use Mastercard"

Yeah, I've said something like that too. Problems that you can throw money at are not big problems. I mean, sure, money is always a problem, you never have quite enough for all the things you want to do, but see it this way: The real problems are things you cannot solve with money, for example, a medical condition you'd gladly pay to be treated for... only there is no treatment.

Apologies for that dark thought... but perspective and all that 🙂 Spend the money and make it safe.

Yes agreed, those are important and also legally required but a lot of installers still don't adhere. That is one of the reasons I started this thread... so people can understand solar panels an inverter and batteries does NOT make a solar system.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Chloe said:

How important is it to earth your solar 

Well that is a good question there are a couple of reasons that is necessary. One reason is for a measure lightning protection so there is a short as possible route for the electrical current from a lightning strike to travel. Electricity always flows to the shortest route.
Secondly transformer less high frequency inverters Transformer less inverters require the solar panels on the roof and the framing system they are installed on to be earthed. This is due to the fact that transformer less inverters can potentially allow some AC voltage to the DC side (the solar panel side) of the solar power system with respect to ground. If the solar panels and the solar panel mounting system are not correctly earthed they could potentially give an electric shock if touched. 

3 hours ago, Boerseun said:

Secondly transformer less high frequency inverters Transformer less inverters require the solar panels on the roof and the framing system they are installed on to be earthed. This is due to the fact that transformer less inverters can potentially allow some AC voltage to the DC side (the solar panel side) of the solar power system with respect to ground. If the solar panels and the solar panel mounting system are not correctly earthed they could potentially give an electric shock if touched. 

I presume it is still best practice to earth your panels, even with a low frequency inverter where there may not be AC present on the PV side?  I can just see how an insurer would jump at that to refuse a lightning-related claim...

17 hours ago, ChristoSnake said:

I presume it is still best practice to earth your panels, even with a low frequency inverter where there may not be AC present on the PV side?  I can just see how an insurer would jump at that to refuse a lightning-related claim...

Indeed if your solar array is not earthed and installed correctly using spd and fuses besides properly earthed solar arrays will have a measure of protection against lightning and the risk of destroying your expensive inverter and batteries are also reduced. Insurance companies will not pay your claim sadly many so called professional installers do not bother to earth solar arrays or even install fuses and spd devices between the panels and the Mppts also they neglect to install fuses between the batteries and the inverter. The client suffers the damages at the end of the day..