ICC software ends inadvertently

PeterGutti

Question

I'm running two Axpert 5kva in parallel mode. and use ICC to monitor the inverters and collect data.  

Every now and then (average 5days) the software stops working. I often realise it hours or even days later when the EMON statistics do not get updated anymore.

I'm asking here if other users of ICC experience the same behaviour? 

As ICC does not give a clou what happened, even the log file gets cleared when started again, so that the latest entries are gone..

It's a fantastic piece of software, except when its not running..

ICC version is 3.1

Yup I had the same problem and went back and forth with ICC (Johan the designer) and was never sorted out. They have been working on new software and release was imminent about three months ago, still waiting for it unfortunately.

Just one of those things you forced to live with for now but very frustrating.

Ok I am also running it but on a single inverter. Only issue i have is that for some strance reason my MPPT shows a huge spike when it starts up in the morning and my inverter switch over to grid automatically.

I log in every morning around 6 and then check it. 

I update my Raspberry Pi's operating system once a month and also reboot it every couple of days - these two steps ensures that ICC never gives any hassles.

Step 1: Updating the RPi is done by executing the following two commands in a console (without the bullets!).  Type "Y" or "yes" as required:

• sudo apt update
  • sudo apt full-upgrade

You may (optionally) execute this after the update to clean the software repository & save space:

• sudo apt autoremove

Reboot the RPi to load updated kernel (if any).

Step 2: To automate a regular reboot, execute this command in a console:

• sudo crontab -e

Insert this line at the bottom of the file to reboot your Raspberry Pi at 03:00 every third day:

• 0 3 */3 * * /sbin/shutdown -r now

The line above is interpreted from left to right in the following manner: minutes (from 0-59) hour (from 0-23) day of month (1-31) month (from 1-12) day of week (from 0-6, 0 = Sunday).  An asterisk means "every", and */3 means "every third".  Change the line according to your needs.

• Press Ctrl-O to save the file, then Ctrl-X to exit the editor.

That's it, you're done 😋

I'm having the same issues. My ICC hangs continuously, where it becomes effectively unusable. Even something as simple as trying to see if there are updates becomes futile. I then close it, click close on the error message, and then wait 10 minutes for it to restart, before repeating the futile exercise again. 

The rest of my pi seems fine

@PeterGutti You and I must count amongst those who have used ICC from the first version from Manie and even the Windows version before that. My system is the same as yours except for the battery type. I am glad to say that my ICC hangs maybe once or twice a year which is way less than my Windows and Ubuntu computers. If software or firmware in this case hangs frequently because of a bug, everyone will have the problem. That is not the case so I would suggest looking elsewhere. Power supply spikes comes to mind so I would suggest a spike suppressor plug on the RPi AC supply side of the power supply for starters and let the forum know if it helps. I am also running ICC 3.1 on a RPi 3.

The seems to be another version of ICC available to the one from Manie who originally programmed the RPi version to add to the confusion. So any comments need to relate to the specific supplier version. 

Edited by ebrsa

1 hour ago, JohanDbn said:

I got it directly from Centurion solar, so I'm guessing it's an upgrade from the original. I notice a restart every now and again does help, but that's annoying. 

The CenturionSolar version of ICC is not being updated any more, unless I'm mistaken...

Updating the OS improves stability, automating restarts removes annoyance 😋

PS: A failing SD card that caused mine to hang intermittently at one stage.  If ICC's database is trying to save data to a bad area, the results will be unpredictable.

11 hours ago, ebrsa said:

Power supply spikes comes to mind so I would suggest a spike suppressor plug on the RPi AC supply side of the power supply for starters and let the forum know if it helps. I am also running ICC 3.1 on a RPi 3.

It's definitely an issue with ICC software and not an AC spike.  The operating system and everything remains stable while only ICC hangs.  I switched all 3 sites to a Solar Assistant SD card and now everything works great with a real mobile app, not a remote desktop or emoncms.

https://powerforum.co.za/topic/7412-free-solar-monitoring-device-voltronic-inverters/

5 hours ago, JohanDbn said:

I notice a restart every now and again does help, but that's annoying. 

You can thank me for that part.  I use to be a Centurion Solar customer.  I noticed the app hanging every 1 - 3 days.  I wrote a script to detect that it hangs and then restart it.  I emailed the script on to Centurion Solar.  I then saw my script is included when they sell new devices.

Edited by pierre.

It would be helpful if people mention the source of their ICC, is it from ICC Software which is Manie or from Centurion Solar. Perhaps the version number will help. As I mentioned before, I almost never need to restart ICC or reboot the RPi. @PeterGutti did you make any progress yet. Perhaps replacing your SD card on the RPi may help.

Manie is busy programming a version 4 on which a beta user has posted  enthusiastic comments some time ago. I for one am looking forward to it. 

I have both; one from mannie and one from centurion solar.

They both hang intermittently, this is on updated and regularly reset raspberry pis. I reset em twice a day.

Manie's version seems to keep communication with the victron battery monitor and the counter just becomes delayed but doesn't hang completely. It does however lose communication with the axpert. I then unplug and reboot the pi multiple times to get it to read again.

The centurion solar version seems to have the top counter hang and the program becomes unresponsive until you kill the process and restart. This pi is on a system with pylontech batteries and an axpert. 

I have set home assistant to check the systems and message when they stop reporting to shut down loads so I don't drain the batteries ( I am completely off grid)

I thought the pi s were overheating so I added fans, unfortunately the problem persists. I always thought it was just my setup that was not optimum.

I have not had time to contact either or for assistance so in all fairness there may be a simple solution. 

@JohanDbn  I have no experience of the Centurion Solar ICC so cannot comment. Manie's latest version is 3.1 and that works perfectly for me on a RPi 3 with Class 10 SD card and heat sinks but no fan.

@John  When my RPi lost contact with the Axpert in the past, I have found that changing to another USB port on the RPi restored communication without rebooting. I can't remember when last that was necessary. It seems that ever since I installed heat sinks on the two main chips on the RPi, everything is working just fine. May be worth trying. 

@JohanDbn I have a Victron BMV700 connected to the RPi and Manie's (ICCSoftware) has a software switch for that as well as for Pylontech batteries. Just Google his website and have a look if it suits you. I don't even want to think about running my system without Manie's ICC which I have been using since it became avaliable. 

13 hours ago, JohanDbn said:

@ebrsa I got the one from Centurion solar. Version 2.8.5.

Is there another one? Sorry I'm still new to solar. Which is the best one? 

I've tried both. It's practically the same software.  It's two partners that split up and each is now selling it separately.  Since they split up, each have made their own changes to it.

20 minutes ago, pierre. said:

I've tried both. It's practically the same software.  It's two partners that split up and each is now selling it separately.  Since they split up, each have made their own changes to it.

They were the same until early last year.  If the version from Centurionsolar is still at v2.8.5., it has not been updated since then.

The version from iccsoftware is under active development and receives regular updates & bug fixes.  Manie recently added support for parallel inverters, for instance...

7 hours ago, ChristoSnake said:

They were the same until early last year.  If the version from Centurionsolar is still at v2.8.5., it has not been updated since then.

The version from iccsoftware is under active development and receives regular updates & bug fixes.  Manie recently added support for parallel inverters, for instance...

Nice, so where do I get it? Website? 

@JohanDbn  Manie's ICC has catered for parallel inverters for quite some time as well as several brands of LiFePO4 batteries. Google ICCSoftware or try iccsoftware.co.za perhaps. I am not sure if the website owner Jason will regard posting supplier's websites contrary to forum rules hence the suggestion to Google for ICCSoftware. Perhaps add South Africa to the query. I looked at Manie's website Help section last night and it has been significantly added to since my previous visit so taken a look. 

@JohanDbn  I noticed on the website Help page that trial versions are no longer available. However there is a great deal of information that may be relevant, particularly if you have an RPi 3. I was not aware of some so will be updating the RPi Linux for sure today. Manie has posted the commands on the Help page. 

The current version is 3.1 not 2.999 as stated on the website. 

Edited by ebrsa