Eskom not telling the truth

stoic

I'm sure you guys are all too familiar with the fact the Eskom is load shedding, but not letting the public know that they are, so I thought I would create a post highlighting it by posting grid lost logs from my solar system for the last two months where there was "no load shedding".

It would be nice to see how your logs look during those "No Load Shedding" times.

image.thumb.png.fbb4273a259ab229acdcb09fae1761c0.png

Edited by stoic

• 5 months later...
On 2021/05/16 at 7:33 PM, stoic said:

I'm sure you guys are all too familiar with the fact the Eskom is load shedding, but not letting the public know that they are, so I thought I would create a post highlighting it by posting grid lost logs from my solar system for the last two months where there was "no load shedding".

It would be nice to see how your logs look during those "No Load Shedding" times.

image.thumb.png.fbb4273a259ab229acdcb09fae1761c0.png

Sorry for the necro post, but not all such instances are deliberate load shedding by Eskom. There are outages because something broke in the  Eskom or the municipal infrastructure. Not even necessarily the City's or Eskom's fault as a contractor may hit a cable or a tree fall on a cable, but they are left to sort the mess out. Also I know in my street the two of us who have solar and several others with various backup systems found that their systems were reporting no grid when there clearly was power. Problem was grid voltage was dropping too low and systems would disconnect. This was reported, the city did something (an electrician of my acquaintance told me they probably just changed to a different tap on a transformer in the substation) and now our voltage still fluctuates but does not plumb the depths it once did.

Now, none of this is good or anything we should be happy about, but it isn't all sneaky behaviour by Eskom.

My inclination at the moment is to trust Eskom, who now seem to be pretty transparent with their communications, and to distrust my municipality whose communications are a nightmare and can be reasonably translated as "we don't know what the **** is going on or even where". The municipality also seems to have a scrap going on with Eskom and blames everything on load shedding (I presume they think this will put Eskom under pressure and make them cave in to the Municipality's demands).

I am generally quite skeptical of statements accusing eskom of things like this but your outages are forcing me to reconsidder my stance on that!

I have never gotten loadshedding when their is not supposed to be and i can not imagine having to deal with intermittent power like that. I guess it is a possibility that eskom is targeting eskom direct customers as an easy source of demand side management. 

35 minutes ago, Basil Katakuzinos said:

I am generally quite skeptical of statements accusing eskom of things like this but your outages are forcing me to reconsidder my stance on that!

I have never gotten loadshedding when their is not supposed to be and i can not imagine having to deal with intermittent power like that. I guess it is a possibility that eskom is targeting eskom direct customers as an easy source of demand side management. 

That is because Ekurhuleni failed to implement load shedding, so Eskom decided they will cut them off themself. That meant that outages were much longer and unpredictable.

https://ewn.co.za/2021/06/03/eskom-announces-deal-with-city-of-ekhuruleni-to-implement-load-shedding

I don't think the agreement is being adhered to, though.

3 minutes ago, P1000 said:

That is because Ekurhuleni failed to implement load shedding, so Eskom decided they will cut them off themself. That meant that outages were much longer and unpredictable.

https://ewn.co.za/2021/06/03/eskom-announces-deal-with-city-of-ekhuruleni-to-implement-load-shedding

I don't think the agreement is being adhered to, though.

I never used to get load shedding in ekurhuleni (i think the entirety of the bedfordview area did not also), i always thought someone important just lived here 🤣

Eddit

I do most definetly get load shedding now! have for the past few months 

Edited by Basil Katakuzinos

They are indeed load-shedding when there is officially no media coverage thereof!

From February this year (2021), we have had no power almost every weekend (sometimes for 2 or 3 days in a row), up until round about June or July and every time [cable theft] was the common excuse. The councilor even sent the exact same image of the previous weekend's cable theft, without even bothering to try and edit the images!

... and then by some miracle Eskom contractors drive around with hundreds of meters of cable and replace it the very next day! I have in my life not seen such efficient service, even from competent people!

This was ultimately the straw that broke the camel's back for me, as I could not continue like that and keep on replacing and fixing appliances, which lead me to my solar journey, where I "completely" got of the grid.

Edited by RabidBunny

1 hour ago, Basil Katakuzinos said:

There is also Eskom's "load reduction" program which is a sort of pre-emptive load shedding and is aimed at
1) delinquent municipalities
2) areas with a large incidence of illegal connections.

in both cases only areas directly supplied by Eskom are affected.

I am fortunate to live in an area that does get load shed but doesn't have much in the way of unscheduled outages.

Said area was recabled with aluminium a few years ago. It seems to have made us less of a target for cable thieves and generally improved reliability (presumably because the cables and associated fittings are still new).

Now that cost some money, sure. But is it not better for the City (and residents) in the long term?

8 minutes ago, Bobster said:

I am fortunate to live in an area that does get load shed but doesn't have much in the way of unscheduled outages

See what they did there..... 😬