Emporia Vue

Hi Everyone

I have been looking for something to give me a view of all the power circuits in my house that integrates with Home Assistant so I can get a better view as to where I am using power. 

I saw the Nanoview @ Builders but has no way of getting the data of the device I can see.

I looked at the Sense device a while ago but the reviews of it haven't been great and the AI sounds a bit sketchy. 

I found this device from Emporia Energy that connects with Home Assistant and has 8 sensors for current, upgradeable to 16 if you buy the extra clamps.

https://shop.emporiaenergy.com/collections/emporia-products

Has anyone seen anything like this available locally? 

JohnB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I bought one of Amazon, arrived two weeks after order and included all duties etc so rather painless. 

Price including shipping was R2,912.94

Experience so far is pretty good although cable management is an issue! 🙂 

Has 16 x 50A and 2 x 200A CT clamps so there are LOADS of cables and clamps and space in the DB can be very cramped.

Data is by minute, Hour & Day

Integration with HASSIO is pretty good and have all the data getting pulled in so relatively happy. 

There is however no LAN option so all the data has to go to the cloud first.

PXL_20210709_135531285.thumb.jpg.042c1e39302b9a68178d399873903c71.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

After having used this for some time I would like to give some feedback on my feelings on this system so far.

Positives 

- Relatively cheap

- Easy to setup

- Has an integration with Home Assistant

Negatives

- Everything is in the cloud, if the connection to the cloud isn't working or the cloud is down there is no data

- No official API and there is a bit of a workaround

- Max access to the cloud API workaround is once per minute and as it is not official seems to be problematic from time to time. 

- No way to bring data straight from the device to the MQQT server, has to go via the cloud

Opinion

The device itself is very good value for money, I am however concerned with where my data is going and whether I am always going to be able to access it. 

- Would suggest having a look at the https://iotawatt.com/ is fully open with all your data available locally and nothing going into the cloud unless you want it to. Very similar in specification but slightly more expensive 

- Watching out for someone working out how to reflash the Emporia for local access to data. Not sure it will ever happen but I live in hope.

• 5 months later...

Is much cheaper than the other open systems I have seen  @Kalahari Meerkat

Presumably because they are selling your data somewhere

https://circuitsetup.us/   &  https://iotawatt.com/  both have very nice solutions but they are quite a lot more expensive. 

No MQTT at the moment either but I am pretty sure that will get sorted out at some stage pretty soon.

• 2 months later...
On 2022/03/07 at 7:39 AM, Sc00bs said:

Successfully updated the firmware on my Emporia to allow for the local offload of data into Home Assistant. 

Works very nicely and relatively easy to do with ESPhome nowadays.

Can you elaborate a bit, what was involved doing this?

On 2022/03/04 at 9:10 AM, Kalahari Meerkat said:

This lot is probably also worth a look.

Open energy monitor is very good and was my first choice, the Emporia Vue is however a LOT cheaper, I assume because they are selling your data somehow. 

Getting the data out of the cloud just makes it that much more attractive.

Is a bot of work to load ESPHome on it but it works very nicely once you have it done.

Thanks @CyberJoe hadn't seen Vuegraf before, looks interesting but I don't think it is as active as the Magico13 integration..

With the ESPhome integration, the data comes directly into Home Assistant and doesn't go via the cloud.

I used a similar integration from Magico13 https://github.com/magico13/ha-emporia-vue  

but had issues when they changed things at Emporia as there was no official API at that stage and they were restricing how many times an account could query per day which made having per minute data not practical to use. 

From reading the Vuegraf info is sounds like Emporia Vue have maybe got their API working now but I am not using it anymore at all so doesn't really bother me 🙂 

• 5 months later...

From the manual

Insert the power supply wiring harness into the bottom of the energy monitor until it clicks into place securely. The wire harness allows for single-phase power and three-phase voltage sensing: White connects to Neutral, Black provides power and voltage sensing, and Blue and Red enable voltage sensing only

• 1 year later...

Hi all.

I was looking at the Emporia Vue device, so decided I'd get some feedback here first...

For those of you who have been using it - are you happy? it looks like the integration options to HA are good. 

Any comments - PRO or CON?  Or perhaps you've found a better option? 

It looks like the biggest challenge will be fitting it all inside the DB enclosure!

If you need to source, look on Amazon, when I bought it was about R3k landed. 

Make sure you have sufficient space in your DB, remember it comes with 16 clamps, and those clamps are rather big, I eventually removed mine as it was impossible to work in the DB with it installed. 

1 hour ago, CyberJoe said:

If you need to source, look on Amazon, when I bought it was about R3k landed. 

Make sure you have sufficient space in your DB, remember it comes with 16 clamps, and those clamps are rather big, I eventually removed mine as it was impossible to work in the DB with it installed. 

No need to go overseas 😀.

Available locally from Geewiz. Emporia Vue Gen 2 Energy Monitor - with 8x 50A Emporia Current Monitoring Sensors - GeeWiz