Deye 8kw - weird issue when generator is running

Zkrige

My inverter gets supply from grid. I have 23kva generator inline. when grid goes down, generator kicks in and supplies to the house. this feed comes in to the inverter.

When the grid is supplying, the inverter works fine. When the grid goes down (praise Cyril) and my generator kicks in, the inverter refuses to pick up the "grid". It just shows "stand by", "0hz" as per photo. You'll also notice the AC light is on, so it does in fact see the incoming current. I've put a multimeter across the incoming "grid" connection lugs while generator is running and it picks up 232v (2nd photo)

When the grid power comes back, then it goes back to normal

Im completely confused. As far as the inverter is concerned, it shouldnt be able to tell the difference between generator supplied power and grid supplied power - they both come in on the same line

Any ideas on what I need to do here?

IMG_5999.jpeg

IMG_5995.jpg

The inverter is seeing 229 volts and the meter 232, so it looks like this is what the genny is providing.

I am not familiar with the Deye's interface, but I do know that the Sunsynk does have a screen defining the grid settings, things like upper and lower voltage ranges, and frequency high and low. It is possible that these ranges may be incorrectly set on your inverter.  Could you find this setting screen and show it? On my Sunsynk low is defined as 185V and high as 265V with frequency high of 51.5Hz and low of 47.5Hz.      

The second screen looks OK to me, seems to be sufficient latitude. I don't know or understand anything about the subsequent ones though, but it seems that they are not in use, so best not to fiddle there.

Is there a way that you can measure the genny's output frequency?

Another alternative is to hook the genny onto the Aux port (I assume that it's currently feeding from the grid side via a changeover switch).

Edited by YellowTapemeasure

I dont have any means to measure the genny output freq, but I assume its "ok" as the house seems to run just fine. The genny has an auto start and auto changeover switch. Yes, it feeds from grid side.

Also, if I disconnect the batteries and pv on the inverter while the genny is running, the inverter stays powered up, so its definitely getting power from the genny. Also as per the original screenshot the "AC" led is on when the genny is running.

I'm going to try get hold of a multimeter that can read frequency and see if that narrows it down

4 minutes ago, JustinSchoeman said:

Almost certainly frequency related. Try bump Grid Hz high to max and Grid Hz Low to min, and see if it helps.

Or fiddle with the genny's speed settings and see if it makes any difference?

Edit : another thing that I thought of: is the genny correctly earthed?

Edited by YellowTapemeasure

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Generators normally run a bit high on the frequency side, especially petrol generators. Set your upper frequency to about 53.5Hz and lower to 47.0 Hz.

This will sort out most problems. Also confirm the generator is earthed to your incoming supply earth, and the inverter is connected to the same earth.

Plus DON'T forget to make sure Zero Export is ticked, or you could fry your generator if you are producing power from PV and feeding back to the generator.

You will burn out the coils or the AVR.

Edited by TimCam

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi. I have just had a 8kva DEYE inverter system installed. My generator is also connected, but not a auto start. It is a 7,5kva petrol. I want to use it to charge my batteries should Eskom be off for too long etc. 

My electrician cant give me a cleR answer on this. How "EXACTLY" do I go about this? Can I just start my gennie safely without damaging either the inverter, batteries or gennie?

Please will somebody advise thT has a definate answer.

8 hours ago, Lappies001 said:

Hi. I have just had a 8kva DEYE inverter system installed. My generator is also connected, but not a auto start. It is a 7,5kva petrol. I want to use it to charge my batteries should Eskom be off for too long etc. 

My electrician cant give me a cleR answer on this. How "EXACTLY" do I go about this? Can I just start my gennie safely without damaging either the inverter, batteries or gennie?

Please will somebody advise thT has a definate answer.

I have a 7.5kVA el cheapo genny without autostart that serves my 5.5K Sunsynk just fine.

I have it connected to the Gen/Aux port of the Sunsynk, and the Aux port is configured in the software to be a Gen port. I use two 16A plugs from the genny, with 2.5mm cabtyre, terminating on a 32amp plug:

https://www.livecopper.co.za/products/gewiss-straight-connector-32a-3p-n-e-400v-ip44-6h

and the Aux is wired to the female plug:

https://www.livecopper.co.za/products/gewiss-surface-mounting-socket-outlet-32a-3p-n-e-400v-90d-ip44-6h

This gives me the flexibility to place the genny anywhere, which is a blessing because it is pretty noisy and smelly.

A limitation that you must be aware of is that the Sunsynk will service loads and charge batteries simultaneously from the Gen port, so it will draw what it can, unless you limit it with the very clever feature called peak shaving:

gennypic3c.thumb.jpg.60ab5670bc600060df154a90e39f57e1.jpg

So you can adjust the maximum that the inverter will use from the genny to ensure that it will not kill the genny.

Alternatively you can adjust the batttery charge settings, or the power setting in the system mode screen to reduce the rate of battery charge. 

@Zkrige After months of fiddling with voltage & Hz settings on my generator & inverter to try to get my generator to connect for more than 60 seconds, it turned out to the the earth bonding was what was causing the issues. 

I would suggest checking that your earth bonding on your inverter is done correctly as you may find that is the problem. Have had no issues since then and just have to use the grid shaving setting to restrict my pull from the generator to no more than 4kw. Otherwise works like a charm. 

59 minutes ago, Sc00bs said:

it turned out to the the earth bonding was what was causing the issues

Was the earthing issue on the generator or inverter side? Was it just a missing/loose connection or did you have to drive an earth stake/rod into the ground?

Edited by Kilowatt Power

Also talk to your Deye supplier and ensure that you have the latest firmware. This issue occurred similarly with an install in Nigeria and Deye sorted it out with a firmware update, not sure if this firmware is now universally available. Good thing you also spotted the earth bonding issue.

• 8 months later...