Borehole keeps on tripping?

McGuywer

Question

I am running my borehole pump for about 10minutes, then it just drips.
There is a little "overload" protection push button on the control box that pops out.
Any idea where I can start?

I have opened the control box, all seems good inside, no loose or open wires.

Attached is a picture of the control box, the overload button is on the right hand side (it is pushed in now).

If I leave the pump for a day, it works for another 10 minutes again.
If I push in the overload button, the pump does not start again.

Before I pull up the pump, please give me some adivce?

IMG_5984-Boorgat.jpg

18 answers to this question

It could be the capacitors or the insulation on the cable, it can be tested with a multimeter just check continuity between the wires and earth.

If you pull up the borehole you need at least 2 people. If you take the pump in to be tested take the cable as well.

good luck

Guest Sarel

Normally the thermal trip will cut out when there are an overcurrent event over a period of time. This may be due to a cable insulation problem and water getting in. It may also be due to a motor inlet obstruction. The meter test may or may not show anything.

better to test with a proper leakage tester (aka megger) to find out if the insulation is 100%. Get that done by someone that knows how to do the test without damaging the pump control system etc. Also the reading is not absolute so not easy to interpret. A competent person with experience will do that.

Guest Sarel

The capacitor in the box is for starting the motor. Normally, if the motor does not pump water because of an obstruction, the trip will happen pretty quickly. Are the pump delivering normal amount of water when switched on? If so it means it has started properly. If its not pumping, it means the motor does not start or is obstructed from turning the impellers normally. It still could be the motor as the contacts in the motor to disengage the capacitor after starting my be stuck.

A few things to consider. And when you have to pull that pump, wear gloves 🧤🤔

An update here.
So it seems it is the overload switch itself that is the issue.
I have removed the plugs and reinserted them in again and the borehole no longer drips.

I also pulled the pump up slowly and then slowly let it go down again.

Thank you all for the comments.

Hi Mcguyver. I have exa tky the same issue with my pump. This happened a few years ago and of course we always think the worst so pulled the pump and cable and had it all tested. All was fine. Turned out it was the overload switch all along. Replaced the complete control unit now 3 years later the same thing. Very frustrating. 

Gentle people, please always make sure that your boreholes are fully gaged ( i.e. cased). To minimize more issues after installations. The main problem here is the pump not being able to suck the water from the ground. And you can sort out the issue yourself without any call to the so-called "professionals"  

Hi boreholes. Need help please. Borehole pump pulls water from about 3 minutes. Then then the water just stops but I can here the pump still running. I'll switch the pump off for about 1 minute and switch on again. Then water comes running again for a few seconds then the water stops but pump is running. I left it over night off, switched on the next morning. Again same issue. Pulls good water for about 3 minutes then no water coming through. Please help!!! Just had it recently installed but the guy is now ignoring my calls. 

59 minutes ago, Sudique said:

Hi boreholes. Need help please. Borehole pump pulls water from about 3 minutes. Then then the water just stops but I can here the pump still running. I'll switch the pump off for about 1 minute and switch on again. Then water comes running again for a few seconds then the water stops but pump is running. I left it over night off, switched on the next morning. Again same issue. Pulls good water for about 3 minutes then no water coming through. Please help!!! Just had it recently installed but the guy is now ignoring my calls. 

Boreholes may dry up after pumping for a few minutes due to well bore clogging caused by the accumulation of particles on the well bore. The borehole may dry up after pumping for a few minutes due to insufficient well fluid in the  well.

Edited by Derek3

Hi All. Need advise on my borehole, please.

I just had it recently installed with a control box. The borehole pumps water for about 2 minutes then that water stops but the pump is still running. I switched the wall plug off, waited about 1 minute and put it back on. The water starts again, but only for 5 seconds. The pump is still on but no water coming through. If I put the switch on immediately after switching it off, the pump I can hear but no water. 

Please help or advise what the problem could be. The guy who installed it has now gone missing and not answering my calls. He said that they went 26 meters deep and found good water pressure. I left it off overnight and switched it on the next morning. Again, it runs and pulls water for about 2-3 minutes but then suddenly the water stops even though the pump is still on.

I am in the Panorama area in Cape Town. Where I was told wellpoint water is too weak and after spending money on the wellpoint option, that never worked I went for borehole but now have this issue.

Thanks in advance....

2 minutes ago, Sudique said:

I just had it recently installed with a control box. The borehole pumps water for about 2 minutes then that water stops but the pump is still running. I switched the wall plug off, waited about 1 minute and put it back on. The water starts again, but only for 5 seconds. The pump is still on but no water coming through. If I put the switch on immediately after switching it off, the pump I can hear but no water. 

Please help or advise what the problem could be. The guy who installed it has now gone missing and not answering my calls. He said that they went 26 meters deep and found good water pressure. I left it off overnight and switched it on the next morning. Again, it runs and pulls water for about 2-3 minutes but then suddenly the water stops even though the pump is still on.

I am in the Panorama area in Cape Town. Where I was told wellpoint water is too weak and after spending money on the wellpoint option, that never worked I went for borehole but now have this issue.

Thanks in advance....

If it is a new borehole then the sleeve and pump should be ok. It sounds like inadequate water in the borehole. I had problems with my borehole when i purchased my house in Cpt and after re-sleeving of the borehole it works great.

7 hours ago, Sudique said:

Thanks in advance....

With the water not coming out and pump running each time it seems you have a weak water table. Try running it for 2min or when water stops. Switch of for say 15min and start again. Do this for a few times to try and see if this is enough time for the water table to increase. Not very practical for the long run but could clarify the water table. 

20 hours ago, TaliaB said:

If it is a new borehole then the sleeve and pump should be ok. It sounds like inadequate water in the borehole. I had problems with my borehole when i purchased my house in Cpt and after re-sleeving of the borehole it works great.

Which are in Cpt you in? And how deep is the borehole? It's a frustrating situation. Where the pump is pulling water, you hear there is plenty coming through. But only for a few minutes. 

2 hours ago, Sudique said:

I can do that. Will give it a try. But what are my options. If this persists? Do I go deeper? I'm trying to fill my water tank that is used for pool and irrigation system.

Well one option is during day time to use a basic Sonoff timer and cycle it 5min on 15min off around the clock. I mention day time so you can monitor it that the pump does not run without water flowing.

If it works one can introduce a flow switch to switch the pump off should there be no water flowing say for 10sec after it was started or during the run 5min period. 

This can give you a guess of 3-4000 litres a day. Seems quite a bit of water. 

6 hours ago, Sudique said:

Which are in Cpt you in? And how deep is the borehole? It's a frustrating situation. Where the pump is pulling water, you hear there is plenty coming through. But only for a few minutes. 

I am situated in Durbanville. I had a look at the file left by previous owner of the property and there is a test report when the borehole was done. The depth is 82 meters. The pump has 120m head. The depth of the aquifer is measured at 83 meters. The aquifer test involves installing a test pump and pumping borehole water for a fixed set of variables; a given time at a given rate, and then assessing the test’s impact on the water level in the borehole.There is a drawdown test report states 500l/hr i have not verified this yet.@Sudiquedo you have a aquifer test report that was issued by a hydro-geologist?

Edited by TaliaB

On 2024/04/27 at 12:17 PM, Derek3 said:

Boreholes may dry up after pumping for a few minutes due to well bore clogging caused by the accumulation of particles on the well bore.

@Sudique Is it possible for you to lift the piping/pump say 3-5 meters to see if clogging occurred? Maybe your pump is lying right down at the bottom in mud/grid.