Axpert installation

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same concern but if you reverse the fans like I have then they blow upwards and so hot air wont pool in the breaker box...should be ok.... you could add a vent in the bottom ...

Must say I like the box... very much... does it have a cover/door...?

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Same concern but if you reverse the fans like I have then they blow upwards and so hot air wont pool in the breaker box...should be ok.... you could add a vent in the bottom ...

Must say I like the box... very much... does it have a cover/door...?

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

e03fc6830b7c7d24a7bcacd7c700d4db.jpg704fd8106ec98ad0d1879d47c8ee7237.jpg

Yes has a cover. At this stage not too worried about overheating, all the main vents are open. Will monitor it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/11/2017 at 10:25 PM, Bowsie said:

e03fc6830b7c7d24a7bcacd7c700d4db.jpg704fd8106ec98ad0d1879d47c8ee7237.jpg

Yes has a cover. At this stage not too worried about overheating, all the main vents are open. Will monitor it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicely done. 

Can those battery fuse holder handle DC current, or just AC? I only see a "~" on it, meaning it's rated for AC

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bowsie, I have one question.

Your modular changeover switch output is connected to the Inverter output circuit breaker for AC bypass mode?

Do you have to switch off the inverter output breaker when you run bypass mode? and can it cause damage to the inverter if you leave the output breaker on?

13 hours ago, GVC said:

Do you have to switch off the inverter output breaker when you run bypass mode? and can it cause damage to the inverter if you leave the output breaker on?

Not sure what changeover he has there, but changeovers are usually break before make, double pole double throw sort of things that are off in the middle. So you won't cause damage if you leave the output breaker on the inverter on.

As always there may be good reasons to turn that breaker off anyway. Many changeover switches don't like to be switched under load. It might make sense to turn off a breaker that IS designed to handle opening under load first before throwing the changeover.

Also, I had such an ACDC changeover once, and at times it wouldn't properly engage on the inverter side. This quickly led to visions and fears that one day it also might not disengage on the one side... or make poor contact and cause a fire. I soon got rid of it.

• 5 years later...

Resurrecting the dead, but for good reason. This pops up as examples of changeover/bypass wiring and this seems to me like a terrible idea! I had to draw out the schematic to understand what was going on here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you set the changeover to bypass, the centre breaker MUST be off, if you forget or someone else is working on the system and they don't know. You have a situation where Inverter AC output is connected out of phase/frequency directly to Eskom supply. Scratch 'bypass', rather 'self-destruct'.

5 hours ago, DrewZA said:

the centre breaker MUST be off

What is the centre breaker, can you share the schematic you have drawn? 

I use the ACDC changeover switch. It is a break before make. In fact it actually has a steady state centre position, which breaks both inputs before a new position is selected. I dont see any wrong in that. 

Oh, there's nothing wrong with the changeover switch itself. It's the way it's wired in those pictures that I have an issue with. When the changeover is in the 'bypass' position and the 'AC Output' breaker is ON, there is direct connection between the inverter AC output and grid AC.

I've attached my scribbles, the way it's wired in the pic and how I've rewired. 

IMG_20230411_235347.jpg

IMG_20230411_235402.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@DrewZA is correct.  The only thing that might be confusing to people is that he drew the change-over switch as having, (from left to right) connections L1 N1 L2 N2  when the physical device has L and N grouped together.  I.e.  L1 L2 N1 N2.

If someone would blindly follow the diagram he could get a very nasty surprise.

@Shockin  In your picture of the actual installation everything is correct, except that you didn't follow the SA convention of always feeding the power from the top.

Question to people with a wiremans' licence:  If one connects the feed from the bottom, would that pass a COC?

I fell into the same trap a few years ago, not knowing any better.  I think the arc suppression chamber inside the CB is apparently designed to work better with power feeding from a certain direction?  Or is that bull?  Earth leakage units also seem to be directional sensitive devices and these have an arrow showing the flow.

I find it totally hilarious that each country uses separate color codes for L,N, etc. and follows different feed-from-top and feed-from-bottom conventions. Very confusing.

I think with AC, bottom or top feed is not a problem but the 'correct' way should be the top feed. The Onesto AC circuit breaker confirms this. LINE on top, LOAD at bottom

A DC circuit breaker should be strictly adhered to as shown by the TOMZN DC breaker. It shows which side is positive or negative on the breaker from the top. When feeding from the bottom it shows positive should be on left and negative on rightFP_2023-04-24-9.thumb.jpg.a5970fd87d0cb2aee5af4c935cbc26a6.jpgFP_2023-04-24-8.thumb.jpg.fc358d6739be07fc2ff9944484cbc14f.jpg

13 hours ago, MiG said:

I think with AC, bottom or top feed is not a problem but the 'correct' way should be the top feed. The Onesto AC circuit breaker confirms this. LINE on top, LOAD at bottom

A DC circuit breaker should be strictly adhered to as shown by the TOMZN DC breaker. It shows which side is positive or negative on the breaker from the top. When feeding from the bottom it shows positive should be on left and negative on rightFP_2023-04-24-9.thumb.jpg.a5970fd87d0cb2aee5af4c935cbc26a6.jpgFP_2023-04-24-8.thumb.jpg.fc358d6739be07fc2ff9944484cbc14f.jpg

Good example. Legend is provided for a good reason.