Jump to content

PV power dropping when geyser comes on ?


Nexuss

Recommended Posts

So lately i have been noticing as soon as the geyser comes on the PV power will drop by about 700 watts even though its fully sunny. Anyone with a Sunsynk notice something like this ?  Pretty sure it hasn't always been doing this. I am thinking its firmware related perhaps ,currently on this version. I think this is the latest version.

HMI:VE.4.2.A

MAIN_1:V3.3.8.4

MAIN_2:V0.8.3.F

image.jpeg.f6c74993edee33e14961a8ee92e32133.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Nexuss said:

So lately i have been noticing as soon as the geyser comes on the PV power will drop by about 700 watts even though its fully sunny. Anyone with a Sunsynk notice something like this ?  Pretty sure it hasn't always been doing this. I am thinking its firmware related perhaps ,currently on this version. I think this is the latest version.

HMI:VE.4.2.A

MAIN_1:V3.3.8.4

MAIN_2:V0.8.3.F

image.jpeg.f6c74993edee33e14961a8ee92e32133.jpeg

PV is not enough so the battery helps and load gets preference to battery charging based on your settings? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nexuss said:

So lately i have been noticing as soon as the geyser comes on the PV power will drop by about 700 watts even though its fully sunny. Anyone with a Sunsynk notice something like this ?  Pretty sure it hasn't always been doing this. I am thinking its firmware related perhaps ,currently on this version. I think this is the latest version.

HMI:VE.4.2.A

MAIN_1:V3.3.8.4

MAIN_2:V0.8.3.F

image.jpeg.f6c74993edee33e14961a8ee92e32133.jpeg

I had a similar issue on a SunSynk 8k.
See: https://powerforum.co.za/topic/12246-help-sunsynk-8k-prioritising-battery-over-solar/

The solution in my case was to get a firmware update.

 

Edited by system32
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scorp007 said:

PV is not enough so the battery helps and load gets preference to battery charging based on your settings? 

No if you look at the graph i posted you will see the blue line should be making a proper curve when the geyser is on but it doesnt it dips..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, system32 said:

I had a similar issue on a SunSynk 8k.
See: https://powerforum.co.za/topic/12246-help-sunsynk-8k-prioritising-battery-over-solar/

The solution in my case was to get a firmware update.

 

Yea thats what i am suspecting, a bit frustrating as i dont think there are any newer versions and dont realy want to rollback as im afraid the 15Khz noise will come back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, WannabeSolarSparky said:

My geyser also comes on midday, not seen any pv ( Green Line ) drop when it comes on.
battery ( Blue Line ) drops down a bit as its supporting the load when the geyser runs.

image.thumb.png.f0e364680be708075042b746a92a8807.png

Are you on the V3.3.8.4 firmware?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Nexuss said:

Yea thats what i am suspecting, a bit frustrating as i dont think there are any newer versions and dont realy want to rollback as im afraid the 15Khz noise will come back.

Below is faulty firmware:
image.thumb.png.8ae4c67cb86968398ab89fd5588b5181.png

Working firmware:
image.thumb.png.6239108d2a3bc1d84b63ce71ea5a69c2.png

Try emailing [email protected] or filling in the form at https://www.sunsynk.org/tech-help

Hopefully they can fix the issue.


EDIT: Also send email to [email protected]
 

Edited by system32
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Nexuss said:

Yea thats what i am suspecting, a bit frustrating as i dont think there are any newer versions and dont realy want to rollback as im afraid the 15Khz noise will come back.

I am stupid with firmware. Just a question will firmware work correct for some time and suddenly cause this problem around the PV drop? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Scorp007 said:

I am stupid with firmware. Just a question will firmware work correct for some time and suddenly cause this problem around the PV drop? 

Firmware is just a computer program that's loaded onto the inverter.
As with any program, there can be bugs/defects.
It's possible that the firmware world work for a while then start misbehaving (time dependent), but in this case I think the bug/defect is misbehaving from the beginning.
Most owners won't notice the defect as they don't actively monitor the inverter and don't know what normal behavior is.
Took me a few weeks to notice the bug/defect, fortunately there newer firmware resolved the issue.

I suspect that SunSunk version control used an older routine in the firmware which re-introduced the defect.
 

@Keith Gough SunSynk really need to start publishing firmware change logs so owners can see what issues are addressed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I have a different experience to this, my usage when the geyser isn’t running is around 600w on a sunny day, as soon as my geyser kicks in my solar PV counters the load and brings my PV up to around 3.5kw and my load is around 900w. I suspect my inverter automagically pumps the available sun energy through the panels, inverter and accommodates for the larger load. When the geyser switches off the load and Solar PV normalizes…..is this normal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Raiden2912 said:

So I have a different experience to this, my usage when the geyser isn’t running is around 600w on a sunny day, as soon as my geyser kicks in my solar PV counters the load and brings my PV up to around 3.5kw and my load is around 900w. I suspect my inverter automagically pumps the available sun energy through the panels, inverter and accommodates for the larger load. When the geyser switches off the load and Solar PV normalizes…..is this normal?

Yes, that's sounds good, the way it's supposed to work :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Raiden2912 said:

Thank you so much.

That leaves me wondering where the excess power is going to, if only we could export to the grid. 💪

In winter add a heater or 2 to keep the family happy :)
In summer add an aircon.
Set them on some IOT smart switch so they only come on when excess is available :)

Way better and cheaper than trying to sell back to the grid :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, WannabeSolarSparky said:

In winter add a heater or 2 to keep the family happy :)
In summer add an aircon.

Rather get an inverter airconditioner that can run reverse cycle, they can heat and cool and are way more efficient than any standard heater. You can heat your house in the winter,cool it in summer and if you need to run it from grid they consume very little power (compared to other heaters)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Raiden2912 said:

So I have a different experience to this, my usage when the geyser isn’t running is around 600w on a sunny day, as soon as my geyser kicks in my solar PV counters the load and brings my PV up to around 3.5kw and my load is around 900w. I suspect my inverter automagically pumps the available sun energy through the panels, inverter and accommodates for the larger load. When the geyser switches off the load and Solar PV normalizes…..is this normal?

That is what a system is meant to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nexuss It appears as if your geyser element rating exceeds your PV capacity even on a good day?

I would recommend getting a smaller element, that is well below your PV capacity, otherwise you will always be drawing the deficit from the battery when the geyser is on (or from the grid, if that is enabled). 

You don't want to cycle your batteries excessively, and you don't want to buy from Eskom. Smaller element means it'll have to be on for longer, but you will not dip into your battery every time.

Below is my graph on a typical sunny day. Batteries are full by 10h, then the geyser takes over (2kW) for two hours or so.

image.thumb.png.84de096c63d9074bd4647beb45329414.png

Peak PV Capacity is theoretically 5.5kW, geyser element is 2kW. Previously I had a 4kW element, and it was to close to the margin. On slightly bad days the geyser would require more than the PV can provide, and then it'll dip into the battery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Raiden2912 said:

This is interesting, I see everyone mentioning heating up their Geyser later in the morning, of course when the sun is at a peak. What about people that go to work in the early morning and need to shower in the morning?

For that, instead of solar panels, you need moon panels. They work on Moon light 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Raiden2912 said:

This is interesting, I see everyone mentioning heating up their Geyser later in the morning, of course when the sun is at a peak. What about people that go to work in the early morning and need to shower in the morning?

Option 2:
I use a Geyserwise timer:
Time 1: 10:30-16:00 - uses Solar PV - set geyserwise temperature to 65C
Time 2: 4am-6am - uses Eskom / battery - 55C

Option 2:
Only wash in the morning OR evening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Raiden2912 said:

This is interesting, I see everyone mentioning heating up their Geyser later in the morning, of course when the sun is at a peak. What about people that go to work in the early morning and need to shower in the morning?

My main geyser is heated by a heat pump.

This morning that started up at 06:00. Ran until 6:35 to heat to 55 degrees. Pulled about 1.6kW throughout that time. I have enough battery (10kWh) to power this and still have some in hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...