New member with some questions.

Hi everyone. I'm new on the group. Was larking around in the background and reading up some stuff for a while  . Loads of knowledge on this forum and nice to see a local SA forum . I'm busy building up a system so new to the game and open to info and help from you guys. Plans is to run my lights and plugs from the inverter if there is power out and during the day will use the Solar to power some stuff in the house and charge the batteries. Night time the inverter will switch over to the grid again. Will do changes around the DB board for this setup. My father was years ago a electrician and one of my our family members is a electrician and is running his own solar system at his house in Gansbaai.

To start of, the Inverter I Bought a month ago on a stock clear out for a really low price is a Power PS5k-48VDC "looks like a clone of the Axpert/Mecer -voltronic". looks like it is made by Conpo Power tech or by Snaterm. "More info on this will help". I only founded out this week after doing some google hunting that it's hybrid with PWM solar charger. Will post some photos. I will live with it for the time being till i got more money to upgrade on this part.

Some photos of the inverter:

20190215-180037.jpg

20190306-132552.png

To what I can made out on the serial bar is that inverter is made on the 2015/09/18 if i'm correct. Some can shine more light on this for me.

20190305-165224.jpg

And to the cable date:

20190305-220107.jpg

The batteries that I got for my setup is EnerSys PowerSafe V 12V, 190Ah monobloc valve regulated lead acid batteries. 4 of them connected in  series to give 760amps and 48v. • Recommended float charge voltage: 2.280Vpc at 20°C (68°F) 2.265Vpc at 25°C (77°F) so this will be 54.72v on floating charge if i'm correct.

Cables i'm busy with. Already crimp 35mm cable for connecting the batteries and inverter and between the batteries and the inverter is a 160Amp Mersen 2 pole Multibloc Fuse holder/switch.

Plans is to run 12  260 watt AE Solar panels. The inverter rated solar charge current is 50A and Max Solar Voltage is 105VDC. Still fiddling around if I must run 2 panels series and 6 of this in parallel, or 3 panels series and 4 of this in parrallel. I will like your guys input on this. Max power of the the panels is 29.99vpm and 8.67 Imp (A)

I started the inverter up on Monday from the grid power with the batteries connected to it to. Went over to charging and plug in the serial to usb cable to get some more info from the inverter.

Looks like the info that the display is showing for charging the batteries is spot on and as it change, it change the same on the volt meter.

20190306-132207.jpg

20190305-205843.jpg

Know the head scratching part begins, on the inverter it shows that the firmware on the unit is u1.12.00 Is this super old Firmware on this unit? What is the possibility that I can maybe check if i can maybe update this drives to something a bit newer?  Did a bit of read-up on the forum about it. Lets hope this will not break the inverter.

20190305-205931.jpg

Untitled.png

Looks like when I change the battery type to USER then it gives me freedom to do changes to the settings

20190305-212427.jpg

All your info and help and input will be highly appreciate.

Thanks out of Cape Town side.

Gerlach 

Ooooo yes, just to add, already got a solar geyser so that part is sorted and planning to go over to gas stove in the future.  

Edited by Gerlach

9 minutes ago, Gerlach said:

The batteries that I got for my setup is EnerSys PowerSafe V 12V, 190Ah monobloc valve regulated lead acid batteries. 4 of them connected in  series to give 760amps and 48v.

Good day and welcome Gerlach

First off, those 4 batteries in series will equate to 190Ah and 48V, not the 760 you bargain on 😉

11 minutes ago, Gerlach said:

The inverter rated solar charge current is 50A and Max Solar Voltage is 105VDC

Just keep in mind this is Voc and not Vmp. So this might determine 2 or 3 panels in series.

I have not seen the 5kVa in PWM yet, but take your word for it.

R

4 minutes ago, Riaanh said:

Good day and welcome Gerlach

First off, those 4 batteries in series will equate to 190Ah and 48V, not the 760 you bargain on 😉

Just keep in mind this is Voc and not Vmp. So this might determine 2 or 3 panels in series.

I have not seen the 5kVa in PWM yet, but take your word for it.

R

Thanks for the correction there on the 190AH part. 😁

On the Panels side. Here is the specs for the 260v panels. https://www.solarsolved.co.za/datasheets/solarpanels/AEsolar/AE_P6_60_260W.pdf 

Thanks for the help on that part. And so I learn more stuff. 

Just now, Gerlach said:

On the Panels side. Here is the specs for the 260v panels.

No problem, found some specs on the inverter and they refer to Max Voc PV of 90V.

Either way I would not risk more than 2 in series for 90 or 105V.

Max Current 50A, would then also limit you to 5 strings.

image.thumb.png.bd52dcf2733f0a9a1ee88d8c233820c2.png

1 hour ago, Riaanh said:

No problem, found some specs on the inverter and they refer to Max Voc PV of 90V.

Either way I would not risk more than 2 in series for 90 or 105V.

Max Current 50A, would then also limit you to 5 strings.

image.thumb.png.bd52dcf2733f0a9a1ee88d8c233820c2.png

@Riaanh quick question, from what page/manufacture did you get the info/specs from. Maybe i can get more info from them on cpu version for the software/firmware. 

13 hours ago, Gerlach said:

firmware on the unit is u1.12.00 Is this super old Firmware on this unit

No, it just means it's probably not genuine Voltronic Power firmware, or even a direct copy of one. Though it is possible that it's a V. P. firmware that I've not come across. Certainly, the firmware versions don't merely get bigger the more recent they are. As an example, version 72.20 is more recent than 72.40, and they are for different models (and not compatible with each other). 

Edit: yours seems to be a PWM model, so it won't be compatible with most available firmware updates, certainly no patched firmware. 

Edited by Coulomb

2 hours ago, Coulomb said:

No, it just means it's probably not genuine Voltronic Power firmware, or even a direct copy of one. Though it is possible that it's a V. P. firmware that I've not come across. Certainly, the firmware versions don't merely get bigger the more recent they are. As an example, version 72.20 is more recent than 72.40, and they are for different models (and not compatible with each other). 

Edit: yours seems to be a PWM model, so it won't be compatible with most available firmware updates, certainly no patched firmware. 

@Coulomb thanks for the info. Maybe i need to check inside the inverter and to see if there is any info on the pc board. 

• 2 weeks later...

So yesterday afternoon I arrive at home and my wife inform me we have load shedding at 8Pm. Fun part for me because I can test my setup I got so far. So I go check if my batteries is ready and sorting out leads from the inverter to connect lights and tv. Spot on 8Pm. power go's of and inverter kicks in. Fun part, we watching tv and got lights and the estate is in darkness. Down the road another house lights is shining because he runs a geni.  2 and a half hours later power go's on batteries where standing on 49.9v. I will plug in the laptop next time to track data. One thing i spotted is that i need to get a battery equalizer to sort the rite charging between the batteries. 

But best of all was that satisfaction to have power.   

1 hour ago, Gerlach said:

Lekker man/ Very nice.

First round of outages a few years back our house was the one and only lit house in the valley out of a thousand or more in a similarly named neighbourhood. 🙂 

Second round lots of little lights all over.

Third round most houses have decent lights - generators / UPS yet not solar as yet.

It was a awesome feeling, being the one and only house lit up. Switched on ALL the outside lights for that pure "Lekker man!" feeling. 

1 hour ago, Gerlach said:

Let me tell you about my evening. I was completely unaware that we had moved into stage 2 and that we had a 10PM slot. So it's about 22:10 and I'm in the kitchen cleaning up the coffee machine, wife's still sitting with a kid having trouble sleeping... and the next moment the house lights starts pulsing and it makes this really weird noise followed by complete darkness. In a split second I realised 1) the power is out, 2) we just overloaded the inverter.

We'd forgotten an air conditioner on in the main bedroom. Normally the inverter will run it, but last night we had just a few too many other loads also going.

So despite the trip: I didn't even notice the power was out. That really is something 🙂

19 minutes ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Lekker man/ Very nice.

First round of outages a few years back our house was the one and only lit house in the valley out of a thousand or more in a similarly named neighbourhood. 🙂 

Second round lots of little lights all over.

Third round most houses have decent lights - generators / UPS yet not solar as yet.

It was a awesome feeling, being the one and only house lit up. Switched on ALL the outside lights for that pure "Lekker man!" feeling. 

Hahaha. Jy kan daai weer se. Ek staan in die estate se straat en als is donker en in my huis is lig. Ek wag net vir my solar panels, dan sal ek my hele setup uit sort en die db bord. Ek sien hoe mense gaan jaloers wees. Hahahahaha

14 minutes ago, plonkster said:

Let me tell you about my evening. I was completely unaware that we had moved into stage 2 and that we had a 10PM slot. So it's about 22:10 and I'm in the kitchen cleaning up the coffee machine, wife's still sitting with a kid having trouble sleeping... and the next moment the house lights starts pulsing and it makes this really weird noise followed by complete darkness. In a split second I realised 1) the power is out, 2) we just overloaded the inverter.

We'd forgotten an air conditioner on in the main bedroom. Normally the inverter will run it, but last night we had just a few too many other loads also going.

So despite the trip: I didn't even notice the power was out. That really is something 🙂

Hope your inverter is ok. My wife is using a app that informs here when there is load shedding . 

5 hours ago, plonkster said:

So despite the trip: I didn't even notice the power was out.

If this is not a contradiction, then I don't know. I do get your point. (cwl)

4 hours ago, Gerlach said:

Nice!!! Hoe se hulle, oneday when i'm big sal ek na die blou kant toe gaan. 

Ons vat net mense per uitnodiging ne! Dis nie sommer vir almal om net blou te wil gaan. 🤣

Maar vir jou Gerlach, ons sal plan maak om jou deel te maak van ons klein groepie.

1 hour ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Indeed, without context that is horribly contradictory. I mean despite the fact that the inverter tripped (something that is normally considered bad), the overall outcome (that I didn't notice until I overloaded the thing!) was extremely positive. My system is working well.

Edited by plonkster

On 2019/03/15 at 3:00 PM, The Terrible Triplett said:

Ons vat net mense per uitnodiging ne! Dis nie sommer vir almal om net blou te wil gaan. 🤣

Maar vir jou Gerlach, ons sal plan maak om jou deel te maak van ons klein groepie.

@The Terrible Triplett sal die tel? heheheheh!! Was gister by een van ons dept aan. Loer hulle setup. Solar en wind saam. 

20190315-114833.jpg

20190315-114838.jpg

20190315-114844.jpg

20190315-114849.jpg

20190315-114924.jpg

Gerlach Welcome to the light side. 

I started of in December. and is also still building. Friday night the phone rings, WHY DO YOU HAVE POWER AND THE REST OF US DON't. I respond halo how are you, again the voice on the other side is aggravated with some bad swear words. 

Will i then told them i installed solar power with battery backup, 

When i went outside we were 2 houses in the street with lights. the other house also has solar. 

I believe this to be my best investment  i have ever made. even better than paying  off my bond. 

23 hours ago, Krokkedil said:

Gerlach Welcome to the light side. 

I started of in December. and is also still building. Friday night the phone rings, WHY DO YOU HAVE POWER AND THE REST OF US DON't. I respond halo how are you, again the voice on the other side is aggravated with some bad swear words. 

Will i then told them i installed solar power with battery backup, 

When i went outside we were 2 houses in the street with lights. the other house also has solar. 

I believe this to be my best investment  i have ever made. even better than paying  off my bond. 

Hahahaha!! I can see that happening to me to because we stay in estate en there some people that have the same attitude like this. 

On 2019/03/17 at 8:02 AM, Krokkedil said:

It never ceases to amaze me how people DON'T know what those little blue/black blocky things on the roof does.

"Oh, so you make hot water with that?" No no no, that thing over there with the tank at the top... that makes hot water. This bit over here makes electricity...

On 2019/03/18 at 8:49 AM, plonkster said:

It never ceases to amaze me how people DON'T know what those little blue/black blocky things on the roof does.

"Oh, so you make hot water with that?" No no no, that thing over there with the tank at the top... that makes hot water. This bit over here makes electricity...

Perhaps you should replace them with BIG blue/black blocky things 😆