Axpert Inverter Remote Control Panel

wesleyfraser

Hi

I installed one as well and it was dead easy.  Just connected it to a piece of network cable with 2 UTP connectors.  It only needs 2 pairs (4 wires).  I was lucky and used the 6m cable that came with the unit and only had to crimp one plug where I drilled through the wall.

Doesn't need power but there is a slight delay in updating the LCD.

regards

M

Hi

I installed one as well and it was dead easy. Just connected it to a piece of network cable with 2 UTP connectors. It only needs 2 pairs (4 wires). I was lucky and used the 6m cable that came with the unit and only had to crimp one plug where I drilled through the wall.

Doesn't need power but there is a slight delay in updating the LCD.

regards

M

Thanks for the reply Mark, did you change any jumpers?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

You'd use the dry contact to send commands to your Axpert, see page 10 in the manual for more details, I'm not sure if can turn the unit on/off via the dry contact. The remote panel uses basic CAT5 network cable you can extend it if you like. I have mine running 20m through the roof to my office, you just have to make your own RJ45 connectors at the ends which is dead easy. Instead of running two cables from the remote to the dry contact the Axpert only uses 4 wires for its COM, I used one CAT5E cable and use the spare wires for the dry contact (see attached pic) however I have never used the switch to be honest haven't had time to play with it, I only wired it up.

post-1034-0-51644500-1442663298_thumb.jp

post-1034-0-65858000-1442663302_thumb.jp

You'd use the dry contact to send commands to your Axpert, see page 10 in the manual for more details, I'm not sure if can turn the unit on/off via the dry contact. The remote panel uses basic CAT5 network cable you can extend it if you like. I have mine running 20m through the roof to my office, you just have to make your own RJ45 connectors at the ends which is dead easy. Instead of running two cables from the remote to the dry contact the Axpert only uses 4 wires for its COM, I used one CAT5E cable and use the spare wires for the dry contact (see attached pic) however I have never used the switch to be honest haven't had time to play with it, I only wired it up.

I have used the dry contacts but it doesn't seem to be able to switch the unit on/off, and I wonder whether it's a firmware thing?

Another issue I picked up, is that the Watchpower software cannot detect the inverter, when my laptop is connected to the remote control's output port. It detects the inverter for a brief second, then looses connectivity again. Yet when I hookup my laptop, in the garage, directly to the inverter it works fine. This makes me think the firware on these units doesn't operate 100% as planned...

I have used the dry contacts but it doesn't seem to be able to switch the unit on/off, and I wonder whether it's a firmware thing?

Another issue I picked up, is that the Watchpower software cannot detect the inverter, when my laptop is connected to the remote control's output port. It detects the inverter for a brief second, then looses connectivity again. Yet when I hookup my laptop, in the garage, directly to the inverter it works fine. This makes me think the firware on these units doesn't operate 100% as planned...

The dry contacts are programmed to various battery states for alarms or indicators. can't see how it can be used to switch the inverter on/off.

Hi I have same problem as silvernodashi that watchpower see inverter for few sec then drop off. As for remote switching off I connect remote panel has its switch to "on" then set inveter switch to "off" then when switching it off at remote panel inveter switch off. Note that was on old firmware now with new firmware (72.40) only way was to remove AC & Solar & Batt.

Hi guys

I have been working with quite a few axperts, mostly 5kva. So glad I am finding other who also use them to help me in the stuff I can't figure out.... Has anybody used the dry contacts with success? Am I right in saying if I measure across say the NC & C with the batterye volt below/above the set value(s) as per the little table in the manual is should give me power(250V) - I can't get it to 'send' any signal. What am I doing wrong? Was hoping to use it either (think it is and either or?) for starting generator (on low voltage set) or start extra load (on high/float voltage) via a contactor.

thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Am I right in saying if I measure across say the NC & C with the batterye volt below/above the set value(s) as per the little table in the manual is should give me power(250V) - 

Hi plaasjaap, you will not measure 250V on the dry contacts at any time. Dry contacts simply mean "not electrically connected anywhere". The dry contacts are relay contacts, similar to a switch - under normal circumstances you will have an electrical connection between C (common) and NC (normally closed) and when the relay coil is energized you will have an electrical connection between C (common) and NO (normally open). Hope that makes sense. :)

Hi plaasjaap, you will not measure 250V on the dry contacts at any time. Dry contacts simply mean "not electrically connected anywhere". The dry contacts are relay contacts, similar to a switch - under normal circumstances you will have an electrical connection between C (common) and NC (normally closed) and when the relay coil is energized you will have an electrical connection between C (common) and NO (normally open). Hope that makes sense. :)

Thanks super. Yes, I understood that from someone after I posted... What confused me I suppose was my outback flexmax that has a 12V output that can switch on a relay.

• 3 months later...
I installed one as well and it was dead easy.  Just connected it to a piece of network cable with 2 UTP connectors.

Mark,

you must have found a better manual that I have: http://mppsolar.com/manual/PIP-HS_MS%20Remote%20display%20user%20manual_20140609.pdf

It's totally unclear to me how the "switch in" cable is supposed to be connected. It seems to have to connect to the dry contacts on the inverter, but they're supposed to be outputs, not electrically connected to anything else (as superdiy posted two posts back). So how can this make the remote start work?

To be clear:

* does your remote switch work? As in, can you start and stop the inverter remotely?

* if so, exactly how did you connect the "switch in" cable? (Or equivalent, you may have used one of the RJ45 spare pairs).

* what firmware are you running on the Axpert?

* Does the remote start/stop functionality stop working if you disconnect the "switch in" connector?

Finally... does anyone use this for turning off one of their paralleled Axperts when not needed?

Ah. I figured it out myself, thanks.

https://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?p=60727#p60727

I can't see how the inverter's firmware version has anything to do with this. When you change JP1 and JP2, the dry contact terminals are wired straight across the inverter start switch. This allows remote starting of the inverter, at the expense of losing the generator start (relay output) function. I suppose if you needed both, you could make up a small board that plugged into the JP1 and JP2 headers, giving access to the remote start switch without disturbing the relay outputs. Or much easier, just solder some wires to the inverter start switch, and use any sort of switch (or relay contacts) to start the inverter.

With all the spare wires in the comms connector, I wonder why they didn't put the remote switch facility on that connector. Maybe it's because the remote switch has battery positive (via one diode) on one side, and they deemed it safer to use separate cables.

http://forums.aeva.asn.au/uploads/689/Power_switch.png

Edited by Coulomb

• 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi all,

I installed the remote panel and wired it. Was easy and worked at first trial.

Concerning the on/off switch Culoumb got it right. I did not wire it because I do not want to switch the inverter off from remote location.

I'm struggling with the RS232 output of the remote panel for computer monitoring. The WatchPower software cannot get connection with the panel. On my RS232 monitoring device I can see that it periodically tries to connect but does not get any answer. I tried different transmission speeds but no success. I'm using the RS232 to COM cable that was delivered with the MKS 5K inverter. Does anybody have the clue to it?

1 hour ago, Beat said:

The WatchPower software cannot get connection with the panel. On my RS232 monitoring device I can see that it periodically tries to connect but does not get any answer.

Can you connect watchpower directly on the inverter, just to make sure everything is setup correct, if that works it should be able to connect on the remote panel as long as the remote panel is connected to the inverter. Mine works without any problems, I’m not sure if the remote panel’s power supply must be on for it to work as mine is powered aswell.

On 2020/02/06 at 11:30 AM, Namreh said:

I am also battling to get the remote on/off part working. Can you please assist? Thanks

Did you manage to get it to work? You can try this what I’ve done. There is a 2core cable that comes with the remote panel you need to plug it in on the remote panel and the other end at the inverter just cut the plug off and soldered it parallel over the inverter on/off switch and it should work. (I had to solder mine direct as it did not want to work any other way and it has been working for more than a year now)

2 hours ago, Gerrie said:

Can you connect watchpower directly on the inverter, just to make sure everything is setup correct, if that works it should be able to connect on the remote panel as long as the remote panel is connected to the inverter. Mine works without any problems, I’m not sure if the remote panel’s power supply must be on for it to work as mine is powered aswell.

Thank you for your answer.

Yes WatchPower works directly at the Inverter site with the USB connection cable. I did not try with RS232 there. What are yours RS232 settings?

My remote panel is powered from the inverter trough the RS232 cable.