Which inverter??

Shockin

Hi, time to replace my old portable inverter, do I go for a Victron 24 v 3kva easysolar or do I go for a 48v 5kva voltronic inverter?If I go for the voltronic/axpert which one is do I look at, as in which axpert is the better one? so many models of the voltronic makes it difficult to decide.

17 hours ago, VisN said:

Get a Victron. 

I have owned a Voltronic Axpert. Just have a look at the Inverter sub-forum here and see which inverter comes up with the most problems.

TO be fair I think Axpert installs far outnumbers Victron installs in RSA, so one would then also expect I higher number of failures. Also people only ever come to this forum for assistance after a failure, so we hardly ever hear from the people that are happy with their Axpert installs.

Also depends what your endgame is going to be, panels on the roof, connected to Eskom? If going to go full SSEG, then get something that is on the NRS list of approved inverters. Would be a waste to invest in kit that you will most likely have to change out again to be compliant.

7 hours ago, Jaws said:

TO be fair I think Axpert installs far outnumbers Victron installs in RSA, so one would then also expect I higher number of failures. Also people only ever come to this forum for assistance after a failure, so we hardly ever hear from the people that are happy with their Axpert installs.

So is it your contention that the number of Axpert problems vs Victron problems is proportionally the same based on the number of installs out in the field?

It is more than just the problems experienced by Axpert users though. Compare the Victron support, parts availability,  ability to have it repaired by approved technicians, forums, structured firmware releases, abundance of software, solar calculators etc. etc. etc. The Victron community is a far more organised one than Voltronic and their myriad of clones. If you'e been fortunate enough to own an Axpert that worked well for you, then good for you but if you like me had a Voltronic unit that went rogue then you'd understand my hesitance to recommend the product. 

The 2 are not the same solution... You cannot compare an Axpert properly against a proper Victron! They are completely different types of Invertors.
@Shockin - If you can go the Victron route (financially) then don't hesitate. Axpert and Victron don't play in the same league. Axpert (or Voltronics) have developed a great product to meet the needs/requests of the masses. But their product is designed as a glorified UPS system. It can do amazing things but it definitely not the quality and design of a Victron (and this is from an Axpert owner!)

You are not new to the solar game, I will happily send newbies without a budget down the Axpert path for small installs and to learn how it all works and fits together. It is so simple, and very difficult to mess up as a newbie (I know, I started there myself). Seriously, if you can afford the Victron route (I can't yet, but want to be rich one day), then definitely get the "LEGO" system that you can add/change/build as you want, instead of being locked in to a specific size (most products outside Victron force you into a "one size for all you needs", which is never realistic).

PS: Now my vote FOR Axperts... They are problematic with certain issues (hey, Victron stuff can also fail), but they are designed to be more of a backup system than a permanent solar solution. Axperts a brilliant at what they are designed best to do - "Off-grid" or "Backup" (like a UPS) and do it very well. If this is what you are looking for, then be happy going this route. It is one of the most affordable routes into the Solar Power world.

1. If you go this route (Axpert), then please invest in Class 1 Surge protectors both before and after your AC (input & output)
  2. Locate a supplier of the MOSFETS (especially since there are limited repair places in SA that can fix when Mecer says "eish - broken"). Without the surge protectors I nearly lost 2 Axpert 5KVA's until I was taught on this forum how to fix.

I left out batteries, and you mentioned "portable" - Well it seems like your choice is then made... A 24 V system is simpler to maintain from a battery perspective, is much less weight when being "portable". Lastly, 2 x High Quality and Long Lasting batteries are going to be 1/2 the price of 4 similar batteries...

On 2019/12/10 at 10:32 AM, Jaws said:

I think Axpert installs far outnumbers Victron installs in RSA,

I think this is true, I also think lot of these Axperts are DIY installs by laymen, that can accidentally cause unintended damage and learn the hard way. Since my own DIY installation many of my friends could not resist the FOMO. Soon they also purchased an Axpert and batteries.  I personally think the Axpert is the gateway to solar due to its affordability and easy operation.

36 minutes ago, Gerrie said:

I personally think the Axpert is the gateway to solar

I agree. Many Axpert installs turn into future sales for the other brands too. I hear quite a few stories through the grape vine of people replacing inverters at the moment...to relay one such story: "Ou seun, daai omsettertjie se rook het uitgekom, so ons gaan hierdie keer maar 'n Victron koop...".

Buy ones expensive and never look back. How did the one place say, "Axpert, hhhhmmmm cheap power". Buy something that can perform and work and that you have local backup. I had axpert/clone stuff and lasted 2 months, not even installed it on the wall yet. Went for local brand and super happy. 

1 minute ago, Gerlach said:

They got mos a other saying in Afr "Cheap koop is.............." 

Goedkoop is duur koop.

Translation for the language impaired: Goedkoop is an adjective meaning inexpensive/cheap. Koop means buy. Duur means expensive. So this sentence is missing a noun, which makes it all the more funny, and it essentially says: Bargains are expensive.

Choosing a inverter is allot like choosing a car. If you stay in Sandton normally a Mercedes will do, if you stay where I stay a 3.0 liter cortina will do, but it won’t look right if I drive off with a R50K inverter in my R30K cortina.😁

1 hour ago, Gerrie said:

ut it won’t look right if I drive off with a R50K inverter in my R30K cortina.

This has actually happened to me. I loaded 70k worth of LFP batteries into a car worth around the same amount, instantly doubling its value for a few hours.