Thank you for the great forum, Safe Driving over the weekend. Sincerely Jason
Sign in to follow this  
Iiceman

Gas consumption of Gas Geyser

Hi All

Some advice/explanation to my experience please..

So about 6 weeks ago, i had a 20L gas geyser installed at my home to replace my electric geyser..

Works great, but the gas consumption is confusing me. After installation i attached a 9kg cylinder to it, and it lasted me just over 4 days (usage based on weight is 2kg per day, with 4 adults in the home, and 2 showers per day each).After the 9kg was finished,  i attached a 48kg cylinder to it, its now 35 days and counting since doing this and its still working. Based on the usage of 2kg's per day that i got of the 9kg, a 48kg cylinder should only last approx 24 days.

P.S. nothing has changed in our usage pattern..

can someone explain why?

Thanks

Iiceman

Posted (edited)

I don't know. I have an 18-liter on the main house and I get maybe 6 weeks out of a 48kg, but the one 9kg I used one time lasted almost 2 weeks, which comes out to 10 weeks if I extrapolate it forward. The reverse result of what you got...

My only conclusion is that usage pattern might be more variable than you and I think. You think there's been no change, but maybe there was. Even slightly cooler weather could lead to showers that are 1 minute longer, and that will add up quickly.

I plan on installing some kind of load-cell and-or pressure sensor at some point so I can track it, but more importantly, get a warning when it is about to run out. I have the silly situation that the gas feeds both my geyser and the stove. The stove can run that bottle right down to nothing, but the gas geyser begins to give up (goes into a cyclic tick-tick-tick-ignite, die, repeat) long before that. Always does it in the middle of the wife's shower. Well once it did give up in one of my showers, but that doesn't count... cause I can't yell at myself 😛

So then for a few days we run on the old bottle during the day (or the stove) and switch to the new bottle tonight. So I'm also considering just splitting the system. Separate bottles for cooking and water.

I'm also considering going back to a solar/electric setup. Despite what people say about Eskom, it's just more reliable than my own ability to track how much gas I have out back 🙂

Edited by plonkster

im also baffled by this, i did read somewhere that a bigger cylinder has more pressure, than a small cylinder hence the better efficiency, however im not sure, seems that way...

In terms of usage, actually over the last 2 weeks its been colder, which should count to the inverse of what im seeing..

to monitor you gas cylinders there is a device made by yonkegas that apparently is quite accurate (according to the guy at the gas store), but is quite expensive.

I was thinking more of something like this, and this, and maybe a Sonoff or something easy that has WiFi already. I see the YonkyGas unit works out a tad under R1k, which in my opinion is not bad. I'm about a third of the way there (before shipping) and still have to write the code for my DIY setup...

What I don't like about the Yonkegas sensor is that it appears you put it below the bottle, and the bottle needs rubber feet. The sensor and the feet then has to be transferred every time you swap a bottle. I'd need two sensors for the two bottles, so the wife doesn't have to swap sensors if she swaps a bottle (which can be done by flipping a valve at this point).

I would much prefer something that just sits below the bottle, a scale in other words, that's simply permanently installed inside the cage. Either that, or a pressure sensor like this one, but electronic.

3 hours ago, Iiceman said:

In terms of usage, actually over the last 2 weeks its been colder, which should count to the inverse of what im seeing..

I spend less time under a shower in cooler weather...then again I also close the water in between soaping/rinsing etc...