Jump to content

Scammed by Priest, Growatt 5kVa stolen


Recommended Posts

Hey all,

Happy Christmas Eve!

Wish it was happier for us....

We were tricked into purchasing a 5kVa Growatt and selling it to a Pastor Wesley Solomon at Founders Memorial Congregational Church in Coronationville.

 

He claimed to have been scammed too many times that now only did COD and would not pay a deposit.

 

Hubby delivered the Inverter, ther grounds keeper signed for it and produced a cheque. 

Cheque was completely legit, problem was it was donkey years old and the account didnt exist anymore.

Conned out of 10k the day before Christmas.

Be safe and careful guys, these people really dont give 2 hoots what position you in and what your family is facing.

December has us R22250 down so far and a R21500 loss on a vehicle due to age....

 

Down and out but we managed to get the kids at least a lil something.

 

Merry Christmas all, take care.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2020/12/24 at 8:03 PM, SolergyAdmin said:

Hey all,

Happy Christmas Eve!

Wish it was happier for us....

We were tricked into purchasing a 5kVa Growatt and selling it to a Pastor Wesley Solomon at Founders Memorial Congregational Church in Coronationville.

 

He claimed to have been scammed too many times that now only did COD and would not pay a deposit.

 

Hubby delivered the Inverter, ther grounds keeper signed for it and produced a cheque. 

Cheque was completely legit, problem was it was donkey years old and the account didnt exist anymore.

Conned out of 10k the day before Christmas.

Be safe and careful guys, these people really dont give 2 hoots what position you in and what your family is facing.

December has us R22250 down so far and a R21500 loss on a vehicle due to age....

 

Down and out but we managed to get the kids at least a lil something.

 

Merry Christmas all, take care.

It sounds like fraud, were you able to contact him at all? Have you registered a case at the SAPS?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you note the serial number of the inverter? If you didn't then you don't have much chance of recovery or of bringing charges.

Some years ago we were burgled and the TV set and PC monitors were stolen. There were a string of such incidents in the neighbourhood. The police then raided a home and found a garage full of TVs. But none of the victims had recorded serial numbers and so there was no way to rebut the person of interest's stories about him buying them 2nd hand to fix as necessary and then resell.

Edited by Bobster
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bobster said:

Did you note the serial number of the inverter? If you didn't then you don't have much chance of recovery or of bringing charges.

Some years ago we were burgled and the TV set and PC monitors were stolen. There were a string of such incidents in the neighbourhood. The police then raided a home and found a garage full of TVs. But none of the victims had recorded serial numbers and so there was no way to rebut the person of interest's stories about him buying them 2nd hand to fix as necessary and then resell.

You raise an interesting point. I am not sure how Growatt delivers its firmware updates, but if it is online by serial # (like the Sunsynk) then I am pretty sure that someone can arrange a very special "firmware update" for it... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2020/12/24 at 10:03 PM, SolergyAdmin said:

Cheque was completely legit, problem was it was donkey years old

At least this can not happen any more from 1 Jan - "South African banks will not accept any cheques for deposit or encashment after 31 December 2020"

Source:  https://www.gov.za/speeches/south-african-reserve-bank-discontinuation-cheques-18-nov-2020-0000?gclid=CjwKCAiAxKv_BRBdEiwAyd40N2HSNPfpZoZ78dM-DuX8GlHTrkjhiAxP7KiIfinzNVQ-mxj54S1j0xoCrp4QAvD_BwE

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Calvin said:

At least this can not happen any more from 1 Jan - "South African banks will not accept any cheques for deposit or encashment after 31 December 2020"

Source:  https://www.gov.za/speeches/south-african-reserve-bank-discontinuation-cheques-18-nov-2020-0000?gclid=CjwKCAiAxKv_BRBdEiwAyd40N2HSNPfpZoZ78dM-DuX8GlHTrkjhiAxP7KiIfinzNVQ-mxj54S1j0xoCrp4QAvD_BwE

 

 

This is about the banks honoring cheques. All the scamming son of an unpleasant person cares about is that YOU accept the cheque. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Calvin said:

That is the reason I made the post - to inform those who might not know about the change.

Yes. I must confess that I did not know this change was coming (though it doesn't particularly surprise me). As you say, one consequence of this is that we can politely decline any offer of payment by cheque.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2020/12/24 at 10:03 PM, SolergyAdmin said:

Hey all,

Happy Christmas Eve!

Wish it was happier for us....

We were tricked into purchasing a 5kVa Growatt and selling it to a Pastor Wesley Solomon at Founders Memorial Congregational Church in Coronationville.

 

He claimed to have been scammed too many times that now only did COD and would not pay a deposit.

 

Hubby delivered the Inverter, ther grounds keeper signed for it and produced a cheque. 

Cheque was completely legit, problem was it was donkey years old and the account didnt exist anymore.

Conned out of 10k the day before Christmas.

Be safe and careful guys, these people really dont give 2 hoots what position you in and what your family is facing.

December has us R22250 down so far and a R21500 loss on a vehicle due to age....

 

Down and out but we managed to get the kids at least a lil something.

 

Merry Christmas all, take care.

Sorry to hear about issue, my advise, go back to the pastor and demand your inverter back or he should give you cash because his cheque bounced. If he refuse, go to the local police station and open a case of fraud. Then small claims court to try and get your money back. The original invoice of where you bought the inverter from, will have the serial number and the details of the inverter. If not, you can obtain that information from your supplier because you have the invoice.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sorry for your trouble, People like this makes all preachers look bad. only one bad apple will make everybody believe the whole box is bad.

We live in a day and age where corruption, theft, rape and murder is accepted by the masses. 

Next time follow good financial rules.

1. Never accept a cheque.

2. If it is COD then check each and every note. There are a lot of false money doing the rounds

3. If the person EFT. make sure the money is in your account and immediately transfer it out of your account to another account to prevent reversal 

4. Write down serial numbers and give invoices. even if it is for R5

5. Don't trust anybody you don't know. 

6. Trust your gut feel regarding every deal. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about this,

But if you look around there are collection agencies that will either collect the Monies or get the Unit back.

Let them take care of this so called priest, dont ask questions let them do their job.

 

 

Edited by MikeR
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear of your trouble.
I'd try talking to the priest himself first and in any case take a witness along or have him/her with you at the phone.

If he's not willing to offer you a reliable way to get your money you can go to the police with your witness.

Hope everything turns out well for you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a similar call from Coronationville.  Pastor Andre Manicomb 0832955479.

Fortunately, I refused a COD transaction and stated that I was happy to collect the funds and deliver thereafter.  no contact after that.  

I seem to also be getting lots of fraudelant messages from Facebook Messenger.  When checking the profile pictures and then calling them, there appears to be a mismatch with their profile photos and the accent on the line.  I make certain I call all customers before concluding or doing a transaction.  Lots of thieves out there.

 

Sorry for your loss, it is very difficult to loose your hard earned money to the unscrupulous individuals.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like he is busy again, order an R20 000.00 inverter system from us yesterday, delivery should take place tomorrow at the church in Coronationville JHB. Pastor Gerald Minaar from Free Baptist Church in Coronationville.  He said he will pay cash tomorrow at the church as he can not do a eft.  I am rather safe than sorry will cancel the deal.  Thanks to everyone listing scammers like these so that we dont fall for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Louisjor said:

Looks like he is busy again, order an R20 000.00 inverter system from us yesterday, delivery should take place tomorrow at the church in Coronationville JHB. Pastor Gerald Minaar from Free Baptist Church in Coronationville.  He said he will pay cash tomorrow at the church as he can not do a eft.  I am rather safe than sorry will cancel the deal.  Thanks to everyone listing scammers like these so that we dont fall for it.

Is it not possible for you to approach the SAPS commercial branch and arrange a sting operation? I know that it's trouble and effort, but Coronationville and church pastors seem to be the common denominator. How about placing a few bricks in a sealed box, together with one of those small GPS GSM tracking devices?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2020/12/30 at 3:56 PM, hoohloc said:

Sorry to hear about issue, my advise, go back to the pastor and demand your inverter back or he should give you cash because his cheque bounced. If he refuse, go to the local police station and open a case of fraud. Then small claims court to try and get your money back. The original invoice of where you bought the inverter from, will have the serial number and the details of the inverter. If not, you can obtain that information from your supplier because you have the invoice.  

The pastor does not exist. It's just a cover to give more credibility to the scam! Im guessing the "groundsman" is also just a random person placed near the church grounds to intercept the delivery.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2021/01/19 at 12:05 AM, YellowTapemeasure said:

Is it not possible for you to approach the SAPS commercial branch and arrange a sting operation? I know that it's trouble and effort, but Coronationville and church pastors seem to be the common denominator. How about placing a few bricks in a sealed box, together with one of those small GPS GSM tracking devices?

I personally think they using the church as a front and simply place a random person on the lookout for the delivery truck close to the entrance. My guess would be that when they see any truck arrive this random person (who is in on th escam) asks the driver if the can help as the pastor is "away" and that he will sign for it. This would fool 90% of delivery drivers would it not? We should warn users on pastor and church deliveries

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2020/12/24 at 10:03 PM, SolergyAdmin said:

Hey all,

Happy Christmas Eve!

Wish it was happier for us....

We were tricked into purchasing a 5kVa Growatt and selling it to a Pastor Wesley Solomon at Founders Memorial Congregational Church in Coronationville.

 

He claimed to have been scammed too many times that now only did COD and would not pay a deposit.

 

Hubby delivered the Inverter, ther grounds keeper signed for it and produced a cheque. 

Cheque was completely legit, problem was it was donkey years old and the account didnt exist anymore.

Conned out of 10k the day before Christmas.

Be safe and careful guys, these people really dont give 2 hoots what position you in and what your family is facing.

December has us R22250 down so far and a R21500 loss on a vehicle due to age....

 

Down and out but we managed to get the kids at least a lil something.

 

Merry Christmas all, take care.

I personally think they using the church as a front and simply place a random person on the lookout for the delivery truck close to the entrance. My guess would be that when they see any truck arrive this random person (who is in on the scam) asks the driver if the can help as the pastor is "away" and that he will sign for it. This would fool 90% of delivery drivers would it not? We should warn users on "pastor and church" deliveries...Thanks for your warning...and PS I think this will apply to ***any*** deliveries.

Edited by msheps
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all,

Seems like this guy just won't stop.

I really hope my warning helped someone else atleast.

I have a gentleman ready to grab this guy, he's the owner of the security company for my day job company. Used to be a cop and a Red Ant or Hawk.

Please let me know if you come across a pastor on Facebook or anywhere and I will take it further. Will be the only way we catch this NonRobin Hood waste of space.

 

Thanks all.

Be safe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...