8kw Deye invertor with generator

R Cerva

Hi.  Hope you all well.

I've got 2 x Deye 8kw invertors in parallel.  I'm connecting generator on 1 invertor and tick the box to use the generator input as generator.  The generator voltage is 225V and 50.2Hz.

I've ticket the boxes to use generator to charge the batteries.  8 x US3000 pylontech.  System work mode I've selected all time period's to use generator.  The invertors don't want to charge the batteries when generator running.  

Any advise or someone I can contact in South Africa to get technical advise.

Thanks

Hi.  I read somewhere or was told by other installer, can't remember, to connect generator only to 1 invertor.  It's small 5kva generator just to charge the batteries and not to carry the full load.

So... we had Shabir (local technical expert for Deye) out at my property in December fiddling with settings to do exactly this.

At first glance the generator needs to be able to power the ENTIRE system (load + charging). Even though we set the power to be drawn from the inverter well below the generator's rated output it still doesn't work. Shabir mentioned that the problem is likely that the Automatic Voltage Regulator on the genny causes the frequency to shift too rapidly for the inverter's liking... so the inverter puts load on the genny, the genny responds by accelerating the throttle which shifts the frequency outside of bounds and the inverter drops the load. This is at my office.

At my house I have a site genny (no AVR) connected. By fiddling with the throttle adjustment I can pin the frequency so that the genny stays connected to the inverter under load.

I don't know if this is the total answer.

• 9 months later...

I ran into the same problem: my 8kW Deye inverter became very unhappy with the generator on the input. So, inspired by PaulinNorthcliff's remark above about 'fiddling with the throttle' I set about finding my generator's speed control, and soon found it, by pushing and tugging on springs and levers (with the generator running) until I found something that affected the speed, and tracing that to a set screw. Then, with a heater drawing a few kW to load it down (directly plugged into the generator, not connected to the inverter yet), I monitored the frequency - it was about 53Hz under load - and adjusted it down to 50Hz. After this I unplugged the heater and flipped the switch to connect the generator to the inverter input. And as PaulinNorthcliff suggests, we set it to draw well below the generator's rated output capacity. Because the inverter presents a constant load, the generator now maintains a reasonably stable speed, and happiness reigns supreme.