RIOT Cloudlink

HubbleLithium

On 2021/01/21 at 2:27 PM, HubbleLithium said:

Hello Community,

The RIOT Cloudlink is causing a stir in the market currently and we were hoping to announce in the next month more about it, however we have been inundated with questions and we have been asked to release a sneak preview for discussion.

WHAT IS RIOT

RIOT Systems with Hubble Lithium have developed a A.I. comms device that enables the Hubble range of Lithium batteries to have full CAN Bus and Cloud monitoring capability.

spacer.png

The RIOT device is an optional addon to the Hubble X and AM range of products and will allow your Hubble to integrate with almost any CAN bus Inverter including SMA, Victron, Growatt, GoodWE, Sunsynk, Deye inverters on the market. This is made possible by the RIOT CAN bus protocol, which encapsulates 5 CAN bus protocols.

Current Development
The RIOT is in Beta testing to add Axpert and Phocos inverters for full communication and cloud monitoring for the Huble range of Lithium batteries. What this means is that there will be 2 way communication and full integration released in the next few weeks with a firmware update OTA for your RIOT device that will enable full Axpert integration with the AM Range, and X-200 batteries. (The X-100 is not supported for 2-way Axpert integration. Only monitoring).

Whats next?
We will release the Phocos Any-Grid firmware update OTA in the next 7 days for full 2-way integration between the AM-2 and the Phocos inverters. Our partnership with Phocos to integrate the Hubble range of batteries have been a priority since 2020.
14 days after that we should be ready to release Axpert MKSII, VMIII, KING & MAX Protocol firmware updates to enable full 2-way communication.

Where can I get a RIOT?
The Powerforum store will be a distributor of the product.
We are looking forward to their review of the product.

More information will be made available in due course. You can read more here or see a demo of the Cloudlink Dashboard in Action on the following link: https://www.hubblelithium.co.za/riot.html

Will the Riot Cloudlink sort out the miscommunication between the Hubble AM2 batteries and a Growatt 5000es inverter? Will you be able use the BMS successfully? If so, and i purchase the cloudlink, who in or near Richardsbay kzn will be able to install it for me? Im just gatvol of Growatt with all its issues. Cloudlink is cheaper than another make inverter.

11 hours ago, Katoolskopgert said:

Will the Riot Cloudlink sort out the miscommunication between the Hubble AM2 batteries and a Growatt 5000es inverter? Will you be able use the BMS successfully? If so, and i purchase the cloudlink, who in or near Richardsbay kzn will be able to install it for me? Im just gatvol of Growatt with all its issues. Cloudlink is cheaper than another make inverter.

Not sure if RIOT works with Growatt, best to call Hubble Lithium to confirm:
RIOT does have Growatt protocol support:

image.thumb.png.1780c715fcf9ad7c4072c6b7db5c4da1.png

https://www.hubblelithium.co.za/cloudlink

image.png.2912066dd4d217c8fafbbc46b9961852.png

See
https://powerforum.co.za/topic/9858-riot-cloudlink-sunsynk-deye-monitoring/#comment-135896
For how RIOT can be connected

Edited by system32

47 minutes ago, Saliegh said:

Riot doesn't even work for Hubble...😠 

I just managed to my RIOT to work with SunSynk.
Needed a special cable that was only documented in the v4 manual.
https://powerforum.co.za/topic/9858-riot-cloudlink-sunsynk-deye-monitoring/#comment-135920

The data from RIOT/CloudLink seems to be quite limited compared to SA.

Edited by system32

1 minute ago, system32 said:

I just managed to my RIOT to work with SunSynk.
Needed a special cable that was only documented in the v4 manual.
https://powerforum.co.za/topic/9858-riot-cloudlink-sunsynk-deye-monitoring/#comment-135920

Yeah, I was being overdramatic. Mine works, but is better served as a fridge magnet. One thing that was good, was the battery cycles... until they disabled it. I feel cheated out of the R2,500 that I paid for it.

3 minutes ago, Saliegh said:

Yeah, I was being overdramatic. Mine works, but is better served as a fridge magnet. One thing that was good, was the battery cycles... until they disabled it. I feel cheated out of the R2,500 that I paid for it.

+1
Seems that newer releases of RIOT/CloudLink firmware limit the data even further.
No pack information, no cell voltages, not much.

• 1 month later...
On 2022/10/06 at 11:42 PM, Katoolskopgert said:

It's not as much miscommunication as it is immature Protocols. High tech sales pitch that is in it's infancy.
Have been monitoring my BMS behaviour since I got SA a year4 ago and the Li Protocol just ignores the fact that the battery ever goes above 52,6V. Most of the time the Inverter and Battery come to an agreement, if you can call it that, and when the Hubble reported voltage is around 52,6V then it states it's 100% SOC. By that time the Inverter reckons the battery is at 53,6V and the charge just stops and it goes into 43W discharge, powering the Inverter.
Over time this 100% SOC drops further and further. When I see 52V as 100%, then I apply USE mode for a while and get it back to 53,6V with 100% SOC. So the BMS itself is also not the smartest cookie in the jar. To achieve that I have to set the bulk and float to 54 or 54,1V as the Inverter overreads battery voltage whilst charging and from observation the Inverter's voltage is what decides when to stop the charge, not the BMS.
Further analysis revealed that the Inverter has an offset facility where the user can apply the offset to correct the Inverter voltage reading. This software is buggy too. As soon as I tried the offset, the next bug arises on the Growatt. As soon as the battery charge stops it then overrides the Li Protocol max charge current (Program code 02) and sets it by magic to 0Amps. This program code is preset with the Protocol 52 to 100A and cannot be changed when the Li Protocol is used.
Yet the Inverter does it when one applies an offset.
It's just a frustration one has to live with the Growatt Hubble combo Li Protocol.
Hubble refuses to engage with end users and Growatt is in denial. 
So I manage my setup by regular inspection and at ~450cycles my battery is still at 110Ah capacity. Must be doing something right 😛
Here is a snapshot right now where I opened the BMS data with the Inverter Data next to it. See the reported Battery Voltage difference.
image.png.ce31352f01c0b3bd56757b7382032850.png

Edited by zsde

i have 3 x X100 batteries and a 7.2 Synapse inverter. Was told that the Riot would solve my battery charging issues by Riot Cape Town. Guest what after i bought the Riot it did not work and only afterwards was told by support that they dont think the X100 is supported. 

So now i have a Riot for nothing. any luck on gettting it to work please.  And while we busy any X100 battery anywhere please. 6 months in owning the X100 batteries was discontinued. leaving me 1 x battery Short.

Regards

Rehan

• 2 months later...

Hi @HubbleLithium,

I am about to install 2 x Hubble AM-2 5.5kwh batteries to my system which runs 2 x Axpert 5kva inverters in parallel.

When I install the CloudLink, how do I connect it to both batteries and inverters? Or do I just connec to the master inverter and master battery?

5 minutes ago, Bean said:

Hi @HubbleLithium,

I am about to install 2 x Hubble AM-2 5.5kwh batteries to my system which runs 2 x Axpert 5kva inverters in parallel.

When I install the CloudLink, how do I connect it to both batteries and inverters? Or do I just connec to the master inverter and master battery?

Don't waste your money on a Riot mate. They are overpriced fridge magnets at best

If your Inverter is able to communicate with the battery BMS directly via canbus/modbus/serial then use that to read BMS SoC, temperature, etc.

You may be able to use the RIOT as an interface/translator/middleman between the inverter and the battery BMS if they can't communicate directly.

Edited by system32

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2023/03/13 at 2:37 PM, YellowTapemeasure said:

Mine is working fine.

Thats interesting, mine hasn't been working since it was installed. Sunsynk inverter with Hubble AM5s.

And what I wrote earlier was direct from Hubble. They still have not sorted it out, and my inverters firmware was updated and all cabling confirmed correct by Hubble.

What inverter and Hubble batteries have you got installed?

If you have the same as mine at a site, then Hubble Cape Town is giving me and our installer the runaround, or sold us a dud, if other users with the same hardware and latest firmware have Cloudlinks that work.

Edited by snoops

26 minutes ago, snoops said:

Thats interesting, mine hasn't been working since it was installed. Sunsynk inverter with Hubble AM5s.

And what I wrote earlier was direct from Hubble. They still have not sorted it out, and my inverters firmware was updated and all cabling confirmed correct by Hubble.

What inverter and Hubble batteries have you got installed?

5K Sunsynk with 3x AM2s.

As you can see mine is still dead as brick...no data from anywhere.  But AM-5s and not AM-2s.

While my SunSynk app works perfectly.  But I wanted the Hubble Cloudlink as well.

Installer and I are still waiting for Hubble to sort out their issues with the AM-5 comms. Which by Hubble's own admission is a fault on their side - software developer issues. Its been more than a month.

Edited by snoops

2 hours ago, snoops said:

As you can see mine is still dead as brick...no data from anywhere.  But AM-5s and not AM-2s.

While my SunSynk app works perfectly.  But I wanted the Hubble Cloudlink as well.

Installer and I are still waiting for Hubble to sort out their issues with the AM-5 comms. Which by Hubble's own admission is a fault on their side - software developer issues. Its been more than a month.

AFAIK, for RIOT <-> Hubble-AM-5 you need a modified RJ12 console cable (one of the wires needs snipping).

• 1 month later...

I've had my AM-2 installed for exactly a year now.

After delays with the Cloudlink only being delivered 6 months after the battery purchase and install, I finally managed to install it today.

My battery was always connected directly via CAN and LiBMS reported everything in order.

After installing the Cloudlink, LiBMS now shows SOH as 92% and yest this morning it showed 100%

Battery has never been discharged to lower than 20%

But yeah the Web interface and App is total shit.

3 hours ago, valienté said:

I've had my AM-2 installed for exactly a year now.

After delays with the Cloudlink only being delivered 6 months after the battery purchase and install, I finally managed to install it today.

My battery was always connected directly via CAN and LiBMS reported everything in order.

After installing the Cloudlink, LiBMS now shows SOH as 92% and yest this morning it showed 100%

Battery has never been discharged to lower than 20%

But yeah the Web interface and App is total shit.

Just out of interest, how is your system connected before and now:

Option 1. Direct: No RIOT, LiBMS gets battery SoC/SoH/Temp/Charge Rate/etc directly from battery BMS

image.thumb.png.0eeeabe71bb59c92124688cef14c62c1.png

---------------------------

Option 2. Monitoring Only - LiBMS gets battery SoC/SoH/Temp/Charge Rate/etc directly from battery BMS
RIOT can monitor Inverter and Battery
https://powerforum.co.za/uploads/monthly_2022_10/image.png.b8b3bda9dcbe9a09e247c25ff3fc323e.png---------------------------

Option 3. Emulation Mode - LiBMS gets battery SoC/SoH/Temp/Charge Rate/etc indirectly from RIOT.
RIOT can monitor Inverter and Battery
RIOT "emulates" the battery BMS.
https://powerforum.co.za/uploads/monthly_2022_10/image.png.1cf7bec77dd02402f5c3dbdaa6d0360e.png

Edited by system32