Sunsynk inverters

isetech

Not sure what Keith is doing in SA ... but it seems he is busy doing a tour of SA. 

After along weekend of research ... tons of videos and seminars ... so that I can get a better understanding about solar/inverters/batteries.

It is interesting to look into how Australia has tackled solar and rebates etc ... the type of system they have tried and tested.

One site I did spend a lot of time on ... " Solar quotes" ... I see they have done many reviews on solar systems and installations ... regulations ... etc.

Victron/Fronius (would be my first choice.) 

but looking at a hybrid unit 

sunsynk 

Deye 

goodwe 

seem the be the better budget hybrid units. 

Who are the distributors of sunsynk inverter in SA ... when I did a search Ellies pops up as the SA agents.

What I should be asking ... who offers the support for installers wanting to buy Sunsynk in SA ? 

So far I have found RCT offer board level support only while under warranty .. but have gone the extra mile and repairs an old  5 KVA unit (5 years old) 

Victron offer 48 turnaround time on repairs for their units at any level. 

I hear lux power offer complete unit replacement level support ... while under warranty.

Sunsynk offer support in SA ... turnaround time and to what level ? 

Maybe better education on inverter setup and protection would reduce the warranty return rate ?

Maybe a better installation guide ... highlighting protective devices suitable for the unit ?

@isetech As far as I know, Segen Solar are the distributors for SunSynk in SA. Not sure, if they are the only one or not. Besides that, SunSynk has a technical office in Randburg with local stuff. I believe, any faulty inverters go there for check up. Probably they offer support for the resellers as well. 

@Leshen will probably know better.

A bit concerning when you watch a video by sunsynk ... talking about contactors arcing closed ... due to incorrect protection :( . 

What is the correct protection required for a sunsynk inverter ... and cable size required for these units ... do they share the information in the installation guide ? 

They talk about "fast"  tripping breakers and 60 amps protection for a 40 amp unit 1.5 times the inverter capacity. 

Would it not be better to use a 40 amp D curve breaker or a 40 curve 1 breaker ... or maybe a curve 2 would be a better choice  ... which is general practice for inductive type loads like transformers and large magnet tables etc ? 

These breakers are designed to carry a percentage overload for a short period of time ... but still offer the 40 amp short circuit protect ... but hey these guys in the video are engineers ... they would know better ...  I would be interested to hear an engineers response to this question? 

Looking at solar quotes AU ... they rate the top 5 inverters ...

1/ Fronius 

2/ Solar edge 

3/ Sungrow 

4/ Goodwe 

5/Enphase 

I dont even see sunsynk or Deye mentioned ... these Aussies have a lot of solar installations ... especially domestic ... I think we are just starting out ... so it going to take awhile to iron out the issues and train decent installers and find quality products that will last ... but more important support the product.

It doesnt help buying  a product if the support sucks or my favorite ... cant handle the South Africa power supply ... we all know how well that works ... throw in a bit of load shedding and suddenly warranties become and issue. 

Edited by isetech

37 minutes ago, isetech said:

1/ Fronius 

2/ Solar edge 

3/ Sungrow 

4/ Goodwe 

5/Enphase 

I dont even see sunsynk or Deye mentioned ... these Aussies have a lot of solar installations ... especially domestic ... I think we are just starting out ... so it going to take awhile to iron out the issues and train decent installers and find quality products that will last ... but more important support the product.

It doesnt help buying  a product if the support sucks or my favorite ... cant handle the South Africa power supply ... we all know how well that works ... throw in a bit of load shedding and suddenly warranties become and issue. 

Those ratings could be very subjective. It all depends, who paid for the comparison, who set the criteria, etc. And it's only relevant for a specific market / territory. I'm not even sure, what the SunSynk footprint in Australia is and how long they have been there. The equivalent to SunSynk for the American market (I believe customized Deye inverter - the same as SunSynk) but with slightly different specs is marketed as Sol-Ark. They have quite good reviews around. 

Anyway, I always take those rating with a pinch of salt because I don't know the full story behind them.

But in any case, I think, you should be discussing your concerns with this guy:

https://www.sunsynk.org/post/i-would-like-to-welcome-jean-joubert-to-sunsynk-sa

Edited by PowerUser

40 minutes ago, isetech said:

1/ Fronius 

2/ Solar edge 

3/ Sungrow 

4/ Goodwe 

5/Enphase 

@istech, you are really complicating things. 

There's nothing wrong with Sunsync, there are MANY installations in SA, they are reliable re support and solving your issues. You seem dead keen on having your unit fail for some reason or other and are worried about support... I had a Goodwe that failed after 6 months, it took me 4 weeks of phone calls etc. to finally get a new one, so yes, these replacements/fixes take time. BUT, just how many units fail? 

Functionality wise, the sunsync and Victron are on a par, Victron much more expensive when you add all the bits required to get a fully functional system, but you can brag a little more if you feel the need.

Goodwe is good/excellent quality (there was somebody who took it to pieces and noted the excellent quality, Japanese components - google on the forum), but price-wise expensive when compared to the 5kW sunsync R22K vs R30K, cant parallel either, so that's a no brainer. Goodwe 5kW same price as 8kW Sunsync.

There is plenty of local forum support for Sunsync which really helps and if you still cant come right then you can email Keith and his team and he will point you in the right direction...

FYI - I have no interest in any of the brands, financially or otherwise... I have had a Goodwe for 2 years, works well, does its job, basically plug in and forget, it just keeps on going. Has a good web interface BUT no end-user remote changes allowed (installers do have this option). Frankly its a beautiful machine....

After functionality I believe native battery support is the most NB criteria for a Inverter/Battery combination, so consider that as well. If the inverter does not talk natively to the battery BMS be wary of hodge-podge duct taping solutions..

Edited by FixAMess

just compare the number of users for Sunsynk versus Goodwe versus Deye on the Powerforum

look at the number of videos Keith is putting on YouTube, the Sunsynk reps in South Africa are a phone call/whatsApp away.

Deye is the same with some firmware/software differences, nut don't see anyone representing it on the media.

I can attest to Victron's support structure, it is brilliant, BUT for the same features as a 5 kW Sunsynk, you will spend two and a half times as much.

But in the end it is your choice

I a going to try out the Sunsynk 5 kva unit ... if all goes well I have 3 other orders to install 4 more units. 

Next I need to decide on a battery.

Hubble 

Blue nova 

Dyness 

Pylontech

Solar MD 

I am not looking for a cheap battery ... I am looking for a good quality battery with a good support structure that I can install with the sunsynk hybrid inverter linked ot solar panels. 

The batteries will also be used purely as a a backup system for mecer king inverters (no solar panels)  

Now I can start designing my carports which will be used as a dual purpose ... solar panels carport and workshop ... to power the workshop. 

14 hours ago, isetech said:

I a going to try out the Sunsynk 5 kva unit ... if all goes well I have 3 other orders to install 4 more units. 

Next I need to decide on a battery.

Hubble 

Blue nova 

Dyness 

Pylontech

Solar MD 

I am not looking for a cheap battery ... I am looking for a good quality battery with a good support structure that I can install with the sunsynk hybrid inverter linked ot solar panels. 

The batteries will also be used purely as a a backup system for mecer king inverters (no solar panels)  

Now I can start designing my carports which will be used as a dual purpose ... solar panels carport and workshop ... to power the workshop. 

The battery choice is as follows and the deciding factor is personal choice and budget, provided you keep the following in mind;

The battery is rated/recomended to allow X Amps to be drawn from it, down to a Depth of Discharge (DoD) of, usually either 80 or 90%...If you go.lower than the reccomended DoD, you damage the battery.

As for the Amps allowed to discharge/charge , its a factor of the battery Ahr, denoted "C"..A 100Ah battery has a C =100...But the battery will be rated as discharge max of 1C or 1/2C etc..

So you need to either buy enough batteries( in parallel, sum Amps) so the max your inverter can draw is easily met by the bank (Amps, C)  or you need to set the inverter to only allow X Amps to be drawn so the max draw requested by the inverter is <= battery max C.

E.g. My Goodwe can draw max 100A, so I bought 4 pylontechs which is 148 Ahr, so 100/148 =0.7C which is within the battery ratings..FYI , I've never seen 100A drawn, after 2 yrs only 90A ever drawn at once (hairdryer....)  

Other than setting the max charge discharge and BMS talking to the inverter natively, the choice is yours..

6 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

E.g. My Goodwe can draw max 100A, so I bought 4 pylontechs which is 148 Ahr, so 100/148 =0.7C which is within the battery ratings..FYI , I've never seen 100A drawn, after 2 yrs only 90A ever drawn at once (hairdryer....)  

I assume you are talking about the US3000C ?. 148Amp is the 0,5C rating for 4 of them(Total capacity 296 Ah). Meaning if you draw 100 amp from a bank of 4 of them you will be closer to 0,33C.

1 hour ago, Nexuss said:

I assume you are talking about the US3000C ?. 148Amp is the 0,5C rating for 4 of them(Total capacity 296 Ah). Meaning if you draw 100 amp from a bank of 4 of them you will be closer to 0,33C.

Yes, my mistake,  37A is the reccomended charge/discharge per battery....0,5C.

6 hours ago, YellowTapemeasure said:

Not exactly sure why, they also supply Victron, ATESS and other brands, and they are also not listed, so maybe the page isn't updated.

They are too busy they dont need the business.

I thought this solar thing would just be phase and people didnt have money to splash out R200k ... was I wrong.

Its time to climb on the bus ... the problem is the bus is already going full tilt.

Its not easy to get an installer to quote for solar. 

I have been in business for 30 years already so ... people know I am not fly by night contractor ... my only concern is offering my customers a 25 year warranty on panels for example ... will those companies still be around. 

8 hours ago, isetech said:

They are too busy they dont need the business.

I thought this solar thing would just be phase and people didnt have money to splash out R200k ... was I wrong.

Its time to climb on the bus ... the problem is the bus is already going full tilt.

Its not easy to get an installer to quote for solar. 

I have been in business for 30 years already so ... people know I am not fly by night contractor ... my only concern is offering my customers a 25 year warranty on panels for example ... will those companies still be around. 

Panels come with generally a 12 year warranty. The 25 year warranty you speak of is a performance degradation warranty.