Replacing centurion D5 gate motor battery with Life P04 battery

Vin

Hi guys,

I've gone a slightly different route and purchased a Victron Bluesmart IP65 12/10 charger to charge my gate motor battery which I "upgraded" last year. Its still a LA battery but it's a 20aH Battery. I think that the standard charger charges up the battery waaaay too slowly hence the decision to buy a better charger. If this doesn't help - I'm going to get myself a drop in Lithium battery.

Does anyone know how I go about preventing the on board PCB of the Centurion from alarming as I won't be using it's built in charger?

Edited by Muttley

Doesn't answer your question, but this is what I did.  Standard battery and controller fits in the space where the original charger used to be

D5 Evo solar wiring.pdfD5 Evo solar wiring.pdf

PS. Don't need the Centurion controller, any cheapy will do (as long as it is decent)

Edited by dax021

• 4 weeks later...

Hi 

Please provide the brand and model numbers you guys are using. Any known specials/good prices seen?

Seems the SecuriProd can't be used on the Centurion D5 Evo. Looks ok for alarms (I have a DSC that charges at 700mA)

The Blue Nova seems like a good choice for the Dt Evo gate. 

Thanks

On 2022/12/13 at 6:07 PM, Mhargo said:

Can i use a deep cycle battery on my gate motor? Its a 12v 105ah Royal battery. it obviously wont fit into the case, but if its a workable solution, i am happy to put it in an external casing.  Any advice will be useful.

Yes you can, but get another charger to charge that battery. Then just parallel it with your battery in the gate motor. Both chargers will charge both batteries and even if there is no charge taking place, the two batteries will equalise their voltage and you can be certain your gate motor battery would probably never end up at a 50% SOC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2022/12/16 at 1:05 AM, Muttley said:

Hi guys,

I've gone a slightly different route and purchased a Victron Bluesmart IP65 12/10 charger to charge my gate motor battery which I "upgraded" last year. Its still a LA battery but it's a 20aH Battery. I think that the standard charger charges up the battery waaaay too slowly hence the decision to buy a better charger. If this doesn't help - I'm going to get myself a drop in Lithium battery.

Does anyone know how I go about preventing the on board PCB of the Centurion from alarming as I won't be using it's built in charger?

cut the original power supply cable install the one end to the controller and connect the other side to 12v supply that way the gate wont beep when in operation. 

• 5 weeks later...

Some interesting conversations about batteries and chargers 

I also been running around with problem solvong which are the best 

Garagedoor motors 2× 12 Vdc GEL (connected in series to make 24vdc ) was my solution to garagedoormotors  

I did a conversion with two Uniross lithuims ...build into a plastic IDS alarm box connected to the gatemotor (ETdrive 300) and had no problems so far ) 

For gatemotors ...lots of lithuims ...ended on Blue Nova (as it has a BMS ) and Uniross as well ....

Alarm systems rather go the GEL way ...2 × Gels connected in parallel will work better than any lithuim ...thats just my experience lot of suppliers say alot of different things (some would even tell you rather buy from them than any other supplier just to make sales...and thats just BS ) 

BUT there are suppliers that are honest enough to help to get the right advice and backup solutions...

Then again ...I advise my clients with the budget and bigger traffice gatemotors to rather go the solarpanel charging system with backup than going lithuim...bit more expensive but resolves so much more problems in the future 

George Venter 

FIXANDFIT SYSTEMS 

CAPE TOWN 

0736705866(if u need advice )

On 2023/01/07 at 9:59 PM, swazz99jhb said:

Hi 

Please provide the brand and model numbers you guys are using. Any known specials/good prices seen?

Seems the SecuriProd can't be used on the Centurion D5 Evo. Looks ok for alarms (I have a DSC that charges at 700mA)

The Blue Nova seems like a good choice for the Dt Evo gate. 

Thanks

Securiprod lithium is working 100% on D5 EVO at friend's house. 

• 3 months later...
On 2022/06/28 at 4:12 PM, Scorp007 said:

Thanks for this alert. Yes we never know what we are buying until we see a failure. The one point that would concern me is that the lithium can charge very fast. If the gate motor power supply has a small fuse like some have the fuse might blow when the lithium charges. I had a client with such a problem. The PSU was designed with lead acid in mind. Just something that one will find out with trail and error on the actual charge rate.

Hi would the ET 500 red gate motor fit this description and how does one over come this? Change the board or is there a less costly route to follow?

• 1 month later...
On 2022/06/27 at 10:13 AM, Vin said:

Due to all the load shedding my gate motor batteries are taking a beating. I put in a Forbatt gel battery a few months ago and its already on its way out. I am considering replacing the battery with something like this :https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/559987360/Hoselect_LifePo4_LA127_Lithium_7_2ah_12_8v_Rechargeable_Battery.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwquWVBhBrEiwAt1KmwtN88odwCkn8ORAUQlxg8c1W_3Ty-9WzCaf0qnp3uShalDSbxBECohoCYi8QAvD_BwE

is this even possible? Has anyone has done this before. Can the standard built in charger charge the lithium battery? 

I replaced mine with a 50a car battery and a 5a Victron charger. I reckon it should give 10 years reliable service.

The pathetic 1a charging board which you find in most all devices is responsible for most of our trouble. A dead motor gate can lead to a lot of problems - think about it when you are 70 plus.

Edited by Johandup

19 hours ago, Johandup said:

I replaced mine with a 50a car battery and a 5a Victron charger. I reckon it should give 10 years reliable service.

The pathetic 1a charging board which you find in most all devices is responsible for most of our trouble. A dead motor gate can lead to a lot of problems - think about it when you are 70 plus.

Just using a 3A intelligent charger also helps a lot at a much lower cost than a massive battery with charger. Adding a 2nd lead acid battery with the charger and all is well for most residential installations. 

• 2 months later...

I purchased a gizzu 12v lifepo4 battery for my d5 gate motor, I have an issue where 20% of the time it only opens the gate halfway and stops. I have solar so there is power 100% of the time. I'm using the standard d5 charger. 

I swapped back to lead acid and have no issues.

I purchased a gizzu 12v lifepo4 battery for my d5 gate motor, I have an issue where 20% of the time it only opens the gate halfway and stops. I have solar so there is power 100% of the time. I'm using the standard d5 charger. 

I swapped back to lead acid and have no issues.

The problem is that most gate motors like centurion D5 draw high amps initially and most Life P04 batteries cannot handle the high current draw. I have the Vestwoods 7ah Life PO4 which can discharge at 2c and allows a max of 14Amp draw in short burst. I have used it for few months and have noticed an issue now and then where it also just gets stuck. My issue is that I have a huge and heavy gate. Also my track does not run smoothly. When the motor struggles to move the gate it causes high amp draw on the battery and the built-in battery management system shuts down the battery. Most of the lithium gate motor batteries I have seen have specific warning that it cannot be used on centurion D5/D10 gate motor.  See the warning below from Geewiz for the securiprod battery. Have a careful look at your motor and how many amps it needs and the condition if your gate. If you switch it to manual and it does not move smoothly chances are any brand of lithium type battery will not work.

https://www.geewiz.co.za/high-cycle-batteries/182822-securi-prod-7ah-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery-lifep04-drop-in-replacement-for-7ah-72ah-lead-acid-battery.html?sfdr_ptcid=2961_617_690049738&sfdr_hash=3eeaab2856f82e00b207ff507c14ee83&gclid=CjwKCAjw6p-oBhAYEiwAgg2PglyP3Sflh48Dv-ToHbAN0HwScOib4xttg3UNvqFe2APUJxagK4BKvRoCrRgQAvD_BwE

Fitted BlueNova on my D5 in January and no issues at all. Its a direct drop in and never had to change my charger. No modifications needed 

image.png.76449e285da864073ee8b046e143da45.png

The Blue Nova also costs 3 times as much as the Gizzu battery that the question was raised on. It obviously can handle the high amperage draw of the D5 gate motor which a lot of lower end 7-8ah Lithium/ Life P04 are unable to handle. As mentioned a very heavy gate that's not moving smoothly can also cause an additional strain on the battery. 

The Blue Nova also costs 3 times as much as the Gizzu battery that the question was raised on. It obviously can handle the high amperage draw of the D5 gate motor which a lot of lower end 7-8ah Lithium/ Life P04 are unable to handle. As mentioned a very heavy gate that's not moving smoothly can also cause an additional strain on the battery. 

The maximum current draw of the D5 evo is 13 amps at 30kgf maximum. My gate motor opens and close at 5.8 amps and 5.7 amps respectively. You should ensure that your gate start force does not exceed 30kgf start and 20kgf running. If you don't stay within this specs you are putting unnecessary strain on motor and gearbox.I use Linergy 8ah on my D5 motor without any problems.

https://www.livestainable.co.za/product/linergy-12-8v-8ah-lifepo4-battery/?gclid=CjwKCAjw6p-oBhAYEiwAgg2PgpxWte3pxdRNC6AiC51Fb8SmgfD9rOczoEjVy__vQ4ls1xU8wMK0QxoCc4QQAvD_BwE

• 3 months later...
On 2022/06/27 at 10:13 AM, Vin said:

Due to all the load shedding my gate motor batteries are taking a beating. I put in a Forbatt gel battery a few months ago and its already on its way out. I am considering replacing the battery with something like this :https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/559987360/Hoselect_LifePo4_LA127_Lithium_7_2ah_12_8v_Rechargeable_Battery.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwquWVBhBrEiwAt1KmwtN88odwCkn8ORAUQlxg8c1W_3Ty-9WzCaf0qnp3uShalDSbxBECohoCYi8QAvD_BwE

is this even possible? Has anyone has done this before. Can the standard built in charger charge the lithium battery? 

Interesting. I'm also in need to replace my gate and garage door batteries. But they are 24V and the supplier in the listed link does not have such.