My Sunsynk 8Kw & data collection setup

5 hours ago, GVC said:

I am rather fed-up with the constant updates on Home Assistant that keeps on crashing my system on a RPI4. The main reason for my installing HA was for the inverter monitoring. If it is not mqtt needing fine tuning, then the system stops reading from the RS485 until I reinsert the usb again.

I decided to go back to basics and only using node red as an all-in-one service, including dashboard. It backs up to local emoncms and influxdb if I want to dig up history. (it has not crashed once on node-red...yet.)

Screenshot from 2023-07-24 16-19-55.png

I tried with a Pi and it crashed when compiling a simple ESP32 config...

Got myself a MFF Dell Optiplex 5080 (i5 10th gen) off Carbonite which runs Proxmox. I then have a dedicated VM for HA and it just works...

IMO the Pi's don't have enough grunt to run HA but that's my opinion....

Hi Guys, Im hoping someone can help

Im new here, but I have been following the forum and Sc00bs videos, I am brand new to home assistant and esp32/RASPI, and can not code. however I generally understand the code here and there due to Excel macros and so on. I have also been flashing custom roms on phones and GPS's from young.

I have the following setup, 5kw sunsynk inverter with 5.5kw Hubble am2 battery connected with can bus and only 4x 550w panels for now.

My home assistant OS is a fresh install running on a HP prodesk i5, ssd and 16gb ram in my room with my router and switch. I have a cat5e cable running from my router 25m to another router that is setup as a dedicated AP right next to the inverter, so I get a stable 50mb on wifi.

So far I have managed to wire the ESP32 & RS485 up as in the picture's 1&7 to B an 2&7 to A.

ESP32 is wired up like below

Flow control to pin 20 GPIO4 - I saw in slipx newest code that his flow control is GPI016, I tried like this but then changed the code to GPIO4 - I was too scared to put the flow control on GPIO16 as this is RXO according to the diagram, and did not want the magic smoke to come out

When I tried sjlouw code on page 3 I had used RXO-GPIO16 & TXO-GPIO17 as his code says, I got no response received - removed from send queue

now tried SlipX06 and moved the pins to 28 GPIO1 - TXO & 27 GPIO3 RXO - I get the same result of no response received - removed from send queue as before but with added yellow text about duplicates [W][modbus_controller:113]: Duplicate modbus command found: type=0x3 address=70 count=10

My first cable was a factory made T-568B(starting with white/Orange)

I then made a cat5e shielded cable also T-568B but my RS485 does not have ground unless soldered.

I have tried this code at the beginning

esp32:
  board: esp32dev
  framework:
    type: arduino
    version: 2.0.6

Because I don't have a multimeter and soldering iron at home, before install I took my RS485 to work and I measured the volts on the RS485 and got 0.5v and desoldered it straight away as I saw above most people with Sunsynk had to do so, and measured again to get 4.5v across A and B, I have checked my continuity on all my wiring to check for bad jumper wires.

and lasly my Modbus SN is set to 01, the only thing I can think of is that my firmware is out of date. but from what I have read people get more issues the newer the firmware. Please see attached Pictures

Any help will be much appreciated 

1.png.2f8a5876516f622648ad69e7884d629d.pnglogs_sunsynk_logs.txt

2.png

3.png

WhatsApp Image 2023-0.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at .jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 1.01.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-01 at 18.58.59.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-0801.jpg

Wmage 2023-08-01 at 18.59.00.jpg

Thank you to all the code and content creators. It is fantastic that I am now able to get all the SunSynk data on my HA.

I has some teething problems with the ESP32 Dev Board CP2102 that has a different pin layout to the ESP Dev Board CH340.

I have good data coming in when powering the ESP32 from the USB-C port, but when I power via 5V pin, I get lots of CRC errors. Using exact same power supply. Also tried different power supplies (Phone chargers, DC-DC, Linear 7805,etc..) with same results. Always works perfectly when going in via USB-C, but not on 5v Pin.

I tried decoupling capacitors 100nf and  6800uf  in parallel. 10uf on reset pin to delay boot. Also tried Cap on unused 3.3v rail, etc.. I have been testing suggestions online with no joy.

I have everything mounted on VeroBoard (with sockets) and want to the housing. Will need to take a lead out of the case and back in the side to use USB-C as power. I would prefer to use 5V power pin and keep everything internal.
Has anyone had this issue or have any ideas?

41 minutes ago, ArthurB said:

Thank you to all the code and content creators. It is fantastic that I am now able to get all the SunSynk data on my HA.

I has some teething problems with the ESP32 Dev Board CP2102 that has a different pin layout to the ESP Dev Board CH340.

I have good data coming in when powering the ESP32 from the USB-C port, but when I power via 5V pin, I get lots of CRC errors. Using exact same power supply. Also tried different power supplies (Phone chargers, DC-DC, Linear 7805,etc..) with same results. Always works perfectly when going in via USB-C, but not on 5v Pin.

I tried decoupling capacitors 100nf and  6800uf  in parallel. 10uf on reset pin to delay boot. Also tried Cap on unused 3.3v rail, etc.. I have been testing suggestions online with no joy.

I have everything mounted on VeroBoard (with sockets) and want to the housing. Will need to take a lead out of the case and back in the side to use USB-C as power. I would prefer to use 5V power pin and keep everything internal.
Has anyone had this issue or have any ideas?

Have you removed the resistor from the RS485 board? 

On 2023/08/01 at 8:06 PM, XianZA said:

Im new here, but I have been following the forum and Sc00bs videos, I am brand new to home assistant and esp32/RASPI, and can not code. however I generally understand the code here and there due to Excel macros and so on. I have also been flashing custom roms on phones and GPS's from young.

I have the following setup, 5kw sunsynk inverter with 5.5kw Hubble am2 battery connected with can bus and only 4x 550w panels for now.

My home assistant OS is a fresh install running on a HP prodesk i5, ssd and 16gb ram in my room with my router and switch. I have a cat5e cable running from my router 25m to another router that is setup as a dedicated AP right next to the inverter, so I get a stable 50mb on wifi.

So far I have managed to wire the ESP32 & RS485 up as in the picture's 1&7 to B an 2&7 to A.

Flow control to pin 20 GPIO4 - I saw in slipx newest code that his flow control is GPI016, I tried like this but then changed the code to GPIO4 - I was too scared to put the flow control on GPIO16 as this is RXO according to the diagram, and did not want the magic smoke to come out

When I tried sjlouw code on page 3 I had used RXO-GPIO16 & TXO-GPIO17 as his code says, I got no response received - removed from send queue

now tried SlipX06 and moved the pins to 28 GPIO1 - TXO & 27 GPIO3 RXO - I get the same result of no response received - removed from send queue as before but with added yellow text about duplicates [W][modbus_controller:113]: Duplicate modbus command found: type=0x3 address=70 count=10

I then made a cat5e shielded cable also T-568B but my RS485 does not have ground unless soldered.

esp32:
  framework:

Because I don't have a multimeter and soldering iron at home, before install I took my RS485 to work and I measured the volts on the RS485 and got 0.5v and desoldered it straight away as I saw above most people with Sunsynk had to do so, and measured again to get 4.5v across A and B, I have checked my continuity on all my wiring to check for bad jumper wires.

and lasly my Modbus SN is set to 01, the only thing I can think of is that my firmware is out of date. but from what I have read people get more issues the newer the firmware. Please see attached Pictures

1.png.2f8a5876516f622648ad69e7884d629d.png logs_sunsynk_logs.txt 50.94 kB · 1 download

2.png

3.png

It looks from the photo like you have the one twisted pair (Orange &Orange/White) going into connector and the other twisted pair (brown & brown/white) going into the other connector on the RS485 board.  It will not work that way. 

In the photo, just use one twisted pair Orange on the left orange/white on the right hand connector. You don't need to use both twisted pairs if your cable is ok. If you really want to you can put Orange & brown/white together and  Brown & orange/white into the other connector but is not necessary.

1 hour ago, Sc00bs said:

Have you removed the resistor from the RS485 board? 

Yes I have removed R7.

Also have RS 485 Pin2 (orange) going to A leg on 485 to TTL board. Comms does work when powering via USB with a cable adapter.  Will post a pic later.

I have attached two images for context. I will need to jumper out of the box to get the lid on when using USB power. It solves the problem, but should not be necessary. The connector to the RS485 board has been moved to the main board because of lid clearance. (I had the issue before moving the connector) Using high stand-offs to fit DC-DC LM2596 under board with big gap between boards. (Had problem before adding DC reg under board.)

I bought a few more of these ESP32 CP2102 boards for geyser temperature, etc... I hope that not all projects will need to be powered via the USB to eliminate comms errors.

Current setup.jpg

Preferred neater setup.jpg

Edited by ArthurB

30 minutes ago, p_i said:

I'm about to start with my own monitoring project. Does something like https://www.communica.co.za/products/bmt-usb-rs485-ttl-converter-ftdi still work between a Sunsynk 5kw inverter and a Raspberry PI or should I look at something else?

Better to use this one https://www.communica.co.za/products/hkd-ttl-to-rs-485-module-max485 and an ESP32

Edited by Sc00bs

8 minutes ago, p_i said:

I think I prefer the USB route since it'll allow me to use a NUC or something similar if the PI runs out of steam.

Not following you @p_i the ESP32 is a microprocessor and takes over the load of running the queries to the inverter of the Home Assistant box and just send the value to HA. 

You can use whatever you want for you HA box, doesn't make any difference to the ESP32

Also means that your HA box doesn't need to be sitting next to your inverter.

3 minutes ago, Sc00bs said:

Not following you @p_i the ESP32 is a microprocessor and takes over the load of running the queries to the inverter of the Home Assistant box and just send the value to HA. 

You can use whatever you want for you HA box, doesn't make any difference to the ESP32

Also means that your HA box doesn't need to be sitting next to your inverter.

Then there's something I don't understand. I thought it's HA that fetches the information from the inverter with some HA module/driver speaking to the inverter via the RS485 interface? Maybe there's more reading required on my side...

14 hours ago, p_i said:

Then there's something I don't understand. I thought it's HA that fetches the information from the inverter with some HA module/driver speaking to the inverter via the RS485 interface? Maybe there's more reading required on my side...

@p_i It depends on which integration you are using, most of them rely on Home Assistant to query either the wifi dongle (Solarman), the Cloud server (Sunsynk) or the USB RS485 Interface (KellerZa https://github.com/kellerza/sunsynk)

The ESP32 integration uses ESPHome to setup the ESP32 with the RS485 board and the ESP32 queries the inverter and then sends the values to Home Assistant. If you want to change it to query different values from the Sunsynk/DEYE Modbus register you set those in the ESPhome integration and that gets uploaded to the ESP32. 

I think the main advantage of the ESP32 over the Solarman and Sunsynk integrations is going to be that you can write settings to the inverter and that it is pretty much live. You can write settings back with @kellerza 's integration so the only difference is that you have to have your home assistant box near enough to your inverter for the USB cable/RS485 cable to reach.  Maybe @kellerza can confirm for me about the writing data? Update times between the Kellerza & ESP32 is pretty much the same i.e. +- every 15 seconds.  

I hope that makes more sense? 

You can also check out the video I made at 

Edited by Sc00bs

Thanks for the helpful guidance and video(s)... Subscribed!

One question regarding the various Deye HASS integration options... Can they all update inverter settings as well, or are some read-only? I would like to be able to (for example) update minimum battery charge levels for various levels of ESP expected loadshedding. I currently have Stephan's Solarman integration working, but I don't think that can push any changes back?

Thanks bud!

Edited by Blouwildebees

2 hours ago, Blouwildebees said:

Thanks for the helpful guidance and video(s)... Subscribed!

One question regarding the various Deye HASS integration options... Can they all update inverter settings as well, or are some read-only? I would like to be able to (for example) update minimum battery charge levels for various levels of ESP expected loadshedding. I currently have Stephan's Solarman integration working, but I don't think that can push any changes back?

Thanks bud!

The ESP32 & KellerZa integration can update the inverter settings, the Solarman and Sunsynk integrations can't

Hi @Blouwildebees

You can definitely update settings with the Sunsynk Addon, see some examples and automations here.

If you have a wired connection, you can be a lot more aggressive in reading settings. The addon typically reads important parameters (Watts) every second and can report immediately if there is a significant change (big load change). For less important parameters (config, kWh) it only reports every couple of minutes.

Your Home Assistant does not have to be close to the inverter. I run my mbusd gateway on a Pi 1B with wired Ethernet. See here for more options.

There is a PR waiting to add Solarman dongle support to the addon. Although that will limit you to 15second read intervals. But from the ode it does seem like you can write settings, even with the Solarman dongle.

On 2023/08/01 at 8:06 PM, XianZA said:

esp32:
  framework:

1.png.2f8a5876516f622648ad69e7884d629d.png logs_sunsynk_logs.txt 50.94 kB · 1 download

2.png

3.png

Maybe this helps.:https://solar-assistant.io/help/deye/2_in_1_bms_port

I also spent hours trying to get data and see the same in logs with no communication from the inverter.

It seems the new Sunsynk inverter(5k) you need to join the 2 cables in the BMS port. 
I hope to find one this week and try it. Will update you if it worked

5 hours ago, Blouwildebees said:

Johann @kellerza, with the latest Solarman commit by Xhanti, would one be able to write values to a Deye via the Solarman wifi logger?

Yes.

Tbh, there might still be changes needed in the frequency in which data is being read through the solarman dongle. Will see if I can throttle it down sometime this week.

On 2023/08/06 at 6:40 PM, kellerza said:

Hi @Blouwildebees

You can definitely update settings with the Sunsynk Addon, see some examples and automations here.

If you have a wired connection, you can be a lot more aggressive in reading settings. The addon typically reads important parameters (Watts) every second and can report immediately if there is a significant change (big load change). For less important parameters (config, kWh) it only reports every couple of minutes.

Your Home Assistant does not have to be close to the inverter. I run my mbusd gateway on a Pi 1B with wired Ethernet. See here for more options.

There is a PR waiting to add Solarman dongle support to the addon. Although that will limit you to 15second read intervals. But from the ode it does seem like you can write settings, even with the Solarman dongle.

Wow, that's pretty cool @kellerza , I have doing a video of the integration on my list and will get it down when I get back from the UK (after the rugby 🙂 )

hope someone can assist.

I'm helping a friend with his recently installed sunsync.

please look at the detail I "incorrectly" posted here:  

I got the integration installed/configured in NR, I got my HA key specified in NR: global settings, and if I look at the login debug message it is success. but then when I look at other debug's it seems not to be retrieving the data from Sunsync. 

... this is a for now project as I got the RS485 dongle on the way and have some space ESP32's that I have not used (mind never actually used them) so the idea is to do Scoobs direct wire in, and redo the dashboards.

please help.

G

On 2023/08/07 at 8:45 PM, kellerza said:

Yes.

Tbh, there might still be changes needed in the frequency in which data is being read through the solarman dongle. Will see if I can throttle it down sometime this week.

Johann, is there a writeup yet on how to configure for the Solarman driver? I have added the repository and the SS multi Add-on, also have my Deye and Solarman logger serials and the IP address, but not sure what to do next?

Thanks for the great work! 

On 2022/06/16 at 11:08 PM, sjlouw said:

Hi all. Here is my version to get Sunsynk 8.8 Modbus metrics in Home Assistant:

Required Hardware:

ESP32 Development Board @R149.95
https://www.diyelectronics.co.za/store/espressif-iot/1495-esp32-development-board.html?search_query=esp32&results=26

MAX485 RS-485 to TTL Convert Module @R19.95 https://www.diyelectronics.co.za/store/serial/1204-max485-rs-485-to-ttl-converter-module.html?search_query=485&results=21

3D Printed Case I use to pack it all: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4670334

My code for ESPHome https://esphome.io/

Note: On the Sunsynk inverter side it is set to Modbus ID 1 and runs in Slave mode. (I think this is default for the inverter)

esphome:
  name: "sunsynk"

esp32:
  framework:

logger:
    baud_rate: 0

api:

ota:

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password
  # Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
  ap:
    ssid: "SOMEFALLBACKAP"
    password: "password"
  fast_connect: true
  power_save_mode: none

time:
   - platform: sntp
     id: sntp_time
     timezone: Africa/Johannesburg
     servers:
     - pool.ntp.org

uart:
 id: mod_bus
 tx_pin: 17
 rx_pin: 16
 baud_rate: 9600
 stop_bits: 1

modbus:
 id: sunsynk_modbus
 flow_control_pin: 4

modbus_controller:
 - id: sunsynk
   address: 0x01
   modbus_id: sunsynk_modbus
   setup_priority: -10
   update_interval: 20000ms

sensor:
 - platform: modbus_controller
   modbus_controller_id: sunsynk
   name: "Total Battery Charge (kWh)"
   id: total_battery_charge_kwh
   register_type: holding
   address: 72
   unit_of_measurement: "kWh"
   accuracy_decimals: 2
   device_class: energy
   state_class: total_increasing
   filters:
     - multiply: 0.1

name: "Total Battery Discharge (kWh)"
   id: total_battery_discharge_kwh
   address: 74
   filters:

name: "Total Grid Export (kWh)"
   id: total_grid_export_kwh
   address: 81
   filters:

name: "Total Grid Import (kWh)"
   id: total_grid_import_kwh
   address: 78
   filters:

name: "Total Load Power (kWh)"
   id: total_load_power_kwh
   address: 85
   filters:

name: "Total PV Power (kWh)"
   id: total_pv_power_kwh
   address: 96
   filters:

name: "Grid Power"
   id: grid_power
   address: 169
   unit_of_measurement: "W"
   device_class: power
   state_class: measurement
   filters:
    - lambda: |-
           float MIN_VALUE = 0.00;
           float MAX_VALUE = 8000.00;
           if (MIN_VALUE <= x && x <= MAX_VALUE) return x;
           else return {};

name: "Load Power"
   id: load_power
   address: 178

name: "PV1 Power"
   id: pv1_power
   address: 186

name: "PV2 Power"
   id: pv2_power
   address: 187

name: "Battery SOC"
   id: battery_soc
   address: 184
   unit_of_measurement: "%"
   accuracy_decimals: 0
   device_class: battery

name: "Battery Charging Efficiency"
   id: battery_charging_efficiency
   address: 216
   unit_of_measurement: "%"
   accuracy_decimals: 1
   device_class: battery
   filters:

name: "Grid Connected Status"
   id: grid_connected_status
   address: 194
   accuracy_decimals: 0

In Home Assistant, ensure to include the new sensors in the recorder:

recorder:
  include:
    entity_globs:
      - sensor.total_*
      - sensor.grid_*
      - sensor.load_*
      - sensor.pv*_power
      - sensor.power_production*

diagram.thumb.png.e3e763d00b76ed3a522ab796ad13677c.png

sunsynk.png

2.png

entities.png

sensors.png

energy_setup.png

energy_dash.png

looking amazing... curious, I have the same RS485 development board, i have a space ESP32...

whats to be installed on the ESP32 though ?

and then how do I make that talk to the HA running on a RP

G

(helping a friend that recently installed a Sunsync as this house)