Which inverter, Sunsynk/Deye vs Growatt

Hi, I am looking at installing a 5KW system, and have narrowed my inverter selection down to either a Growatt ES, or a Sunsynk/Deye which I believe are the same inverters.

The price difference is about 7k, can anybody tell me what advantages the Sunsynk offers over the Growatt?

Any advice will be appreciated!

3 hours ago, Marcf said:

Hi, I am looking at installing a 5KW system, and have narrowed my inverter selection down to either a Growatt ES, or a Sunsynk/Deye which I believe are the same inverters.

The price difference is about 7k, can anybody tell me what advantages the Sunsynk offers over the Growatt?

Can't comment on the growatt inverters but I'm sure if you check posters here who installed them, most of them would opt for the sunsynk over the growatt inverter. 

I would also go with the sunsynk over the Deye as the user interface on the sunsynk is much more modern and intuitive. 

8 months of running the sunsynk and it just works. 

If cost is not an issue for you, go for Sunsynk. But if I were in your position I would definitely go for the Growatt ES and use the R7k to buy Panels or top it up to get extra Lithium battery. Growatt is good value for money and works perfect if you are hands On and willing to learn, Technical support is bad, very bad.  

Edited by hoohloc
spelling error

7 hours ago, Marcf said:

It depends on your circumstances. I have the growatt and it does all I need it to do. I had to change my 4kw geyser element to a 2 kw one and connected the geyser to the inverter now I'm making full use of my 16(360watt) panels.

I wanted to upgrade to the deye or sunsynk to feed my loads before the inverter which I solved by connecting everything to the inverter. No loads before the inverter for me.

If you live in a municipality where they pay you for feeding in your excess pv then the sunsynk is better but I don't live in one of those municipalities. 

So for me where I live with no loads before the inverter the growatt is the best option for me. 

Tell us more about your setup?

I'm considering the SunSynk for my installation, looks like they quite popular.

Does anybody know if PylonTech US3000C 3.5kWh are compatible with them? SolarAdvice looks to have the best price, but they explicitly do not include SunSynk in the list of compatible intevers

42 minutes ago, Saliegh said:

Does anybody know if PylonTech US3000C 3.5kWh are compatible with them? SolarAdvice looks to have the best price, but they explicitly do not include SunSynk in the list of compatible intevers

They are. I'm running 3 x US3000B and 1 x US3000C pylontech batteries on my 8kw sunsynk inverter. 

17 hours ago, Saliegh said:

They are compatible and work well together. I have the 8kW inverter and 2x US3000C (one of which I bought from them, which I regretted after my installer got my second one for cheaper). 

They probably don't mention Sunsynk as they rather punt their own rebranded version of the inverter, called the "Fusion". 

On 2021/06/01 at 9:08 AM, Marcf said:

I just got the Growatt ES and it's awesome. Can't see why anyone would spend an extra 7k on another inverter rated at the same output. Plus the Sunsynk/Deye wifi dongle costs an extra 2k or something, with the Growatt it is included in the box.

I have spent a fair bit of time troubleshooting some funnies I was experiencing, I think when considering which inverter, it is worthwhile considering it alongside the other kit you intend installing. Example

Battery, lead acid, or Li? And if Li will you want to run it using the BMS or just on voltages? I found the BMS Li battery on the Growatt locked in settings related to amount of charge utility would charge up batteries with. Not a problem if youre happy with high energy use for this. With the Deye, this field remains configurable. It is a non issue on non BMS given my experience with the system but might be a consideration if down the line you want a BMS Li battery. (Disclaimer, it could be that a firmware update might resolve this in the Growatt?)

2. Hybrid off offgrid? The 5000ES i believe is an offgrid inverter (maybe there are different models under the ES banner).

3. I find the Growatt has presets of SUB, SBU, Solar and Utility, quite handy for quick changes. The Deye seems to be a SBU setup but allows the configuration of individualised time slots where grid will charge batteries up in those times. 

Good luck. I think both are solid choices, just be more or less clear what you expect from the system and how you expect the system to operate. 

12 minutes ago, GTP said:

The 5000ES i believe is an offgrid inverter (maybe there are different models under the ES banner).

Yeah you can't export power with the Growatt. You can however use solar panels without batteries and if your panels aren't producing enough wattage for the load then it mixes in some grid power to make up the rest. Kind of pointless to use it that way considering loadshedding...