Sunsynk 5kW and which battery?

DannyBoyZA

I've read on another post that a certain battery brand does not want its batteries to be connected to inverters when it is only a single battery (read SA warranty issues).

Unfortunately my budget is very tight, I only have R20k for a battery (or batteries). This will be expanded as funds become available, which will hopefully be at the end of the year.

Which battery would be the best to go for? Or should I ignore this warranty issues, given that I'm going to expand the battery bank in the next couple of months?

I am running a single US3000c on a 5kw Sunsynk atm , if you only have small loads to run its fine.(fridges, lights,computers )I run 4 fridges ,4 pc's and a few lights and it pulls about 700w . Just make sure you set the max charge /discharge to 37 Amps for the battery, and when there is loadshedding make sure not to load up more than 1,8kw. Alternative would be to get the Hubble AM2 but if u dont have the money u dont ...

I also have been running a 5kW Sunsynk off a single US3000C limiting charge/discharge to 37A with no issues. I also plan to install a second US3000C in the future.

It has been mentioned that Pylontech require more than one battery to be connected to the inverter for the warranty to be valid.  I have not seen this in any official Pylontech documentation, specifically it it not mentioned in their installation manual or their warranty documents. Personally, I am not convinced by the one reseller that I have seen who claims this. 

Having said that however I would also recommend the Hubble AM-2, it will give you more capacity, a higher C rating, and is way easier to install. Not sure what inverter you are planning, but a single AM-2 is nice match for a 5kW inverter. Try and push the budget a bit.

3 hours ago, DannyBoyZA said:

I've read on another post that a certain battery brand does not want its batteries to be connected to inverters when it is only a single battery (read SA warranty issues).

Unfortunately my budget is very tight, I only have R20k for a battery (or batteries). This will be expanded as funds become available, which will hopefully be at the end of the year.

Which battery would be the best to go for? Or should I ignore this warranty issues, given that I'm going to expand the battery bank in the next couple of months?

If it's urgent and you need it now, consider the Hubble Lithium AM-3. You''ll be able to get 2.75 K (50A) discharge / charge out of a single battery because it's 1C, and you can always buy more and build your storage later on.

If it's not so urgent, then save for a Hubble AM-2.

Edited by YellowTapemeasure

18 hours ago, DannyBoyZA said:

Stretch your budget a little bit and get two Pylontech US2000B for R23k at the Powerforum store and you will not have to worry about warranty issues. 

https://powerforum-store.co.za/collections/batterys/products/pylon-us2000b-plus-2-4kwh-li-ion-battery-excl-brackets

8 minutes ago, hoohloc said:

Stretch your budget a little bit and get two Pylontech US2000B for R23k at the Powerforum store and you will not have to worry about warranty issues. 

https://powerforum-store.co.za/collections/batterys/products/pylon-us2000b-plus-2-4kwh-li-ion-battery-excl-brackets

Edited by hoohloc
wrong info

Hi, I have just been down the path you are. I bought the Sunsynk 8kw ( Overkill) but there was a plan to run it on the day sunshine only on solar panals for some months. Then I learn that in fact, a battery is absolutely needed. Stretching funds you dont have was not nice. Also what battery do you get that will last and be a good purchase, considering the future, warren-tee and  expansion,  it boiled down to three, BLS , Pylontech and Hubble. I eventually borrowed money and got the BLS as at the time it was a fantastic deal. Once installed you have a few issues. Good battery but how is the support, how is the documention on the use. For instance must I get a 35 mm Cable or a 50mm cable. Must I get a 125a Fuse or bigger. If you dont get these answers a very good battery is not a good buy. Also when we got the battery it was dropped of and run. They were sending someone else to install at a charge out rate of who know what.  So be careful what you buy for the long run. The support and warrantee are critical. As it the documentation. Once I learned and wanted to "hook" them up I did not have a BMS cable (Battery Management Cable). Calling support took hours as we are capable of making this cable but what is the pin layout. They did not answer. In the end the Sunsynk comes with the BMS cable but then does it work with the Battery???? If not your battery gets overcharged - Underchanged etc etc. In the end, Sunsynk is a Brilliant buy. Lots and lots of time on Youtube By Kieth the CEO explaning things. Its also a copy of SolArc, And the best is this forum has absolute experts. Do the same for the battery. Use what the well known where you can get support. Dont buy a battery that you will regret, NO BMS, No one that will tell you are you allowed to install it horizontally etc.

3 hours ago, DannyBoyZA said:

Thanks for the headsup! Creation Date: 2021-05-17T10:14:13Z

The battery settings on the Sunsync are really really great. I tell our sunsynk, my battery usage, Use for load only, or use load and non essential, but dont use more than 50 percent at say 21:00, ohh and when you do,  dont use more than 3000w , why? Well I only installed a 125A fuse when I should have a 160A or 200A (Again not knowing better) and 3000w maximum at night only , it is well well within that A. The Sunsync has many settings that help you control the battery usage. I dont understand them all yet, but you can certainly use a smaller battery and control the use of the  battery in a controlled manner, that no battery company should not honour the warrentee. If they document properly , and say, dont DOD less that 50 percent or dont draw more power than 80A but Ideal is 75A or charge slower than 75A,again, If they document properly, all these setting are possible. Why I did not buy Pylontech!!, they dont have a good warrentee reputation. Although I have learned since then, its also who supplied it. I could not find out who actually is the official agent. Thats very private.

4 hours ago, DannyBoyZA said:

Wow, thanks @RyanG! There is so much information in here... Now I know that I'm woefully unprepared for this... I need to educate myself a lot more in the basics

LOL, Hope it has not scared you off!!!.  You know how exciting it was when you get your Sunsynk working??? You watch the panel and it shows you the usage from the solar panels, the battery , from the grid, Its so neat. You see the CT between grid and your house, and it shows  you 40w grid usage. (I set mine to no export back to grid 40w) I mean its drawing a LED (40W) from the grid. The whole house is supplied from the Sunsynk, WOW how amazing is that.  Then you really appreciate what a awesome inverter and battery you have. Keep well, Feel free to ask, these people are good people.

1 hour ago, DannyBoyZA said:

No @RyanG, I've not been discouraged!

I have however been informed by SWAMBO, that we can work on the budget. Now I can choose between Pylon UP5000 and Hubble-AM2, except if there are any other options...

I have the BLSB, The deal was 29k for a 6.2kw, but in hindsight the Hubble gets installed by Leshen, and with this will be the @leshen support, and he has a 10 out of 10 rating. On the BLSB I was on my own, was dropped off on the paving, it did not even come with a manual, and calling the support number was very disappointing, but its a great battery, just, you are on you own.There was going to be a charge for installation, cables, fuses etc, on top of the battery purchase. Since then I have been given a copy of the install. Its got the cable sizes and some sunsynk setting, however no mention of much else. Like I want to know the best install location. Vertically or Horizontal, Is there a cabinet available, Is there rails? How many are supported in a single location and probably more questions i dont know yet. Whats the support if there are problems??

This is what having a battery looks like. this was around 830pm. My self usage on this Sunsynk after setting up solarman and monitoring three days so far - 95 percent self usage. In other words my usage from city power is 5 percent when either battery or PV are not able to support the installation. Thats allowing the Sunsynk to use essential and non essential load. My essential is low as per my diagram. Fridge, deep freeze , house plugs, lights etc. non essential has the high power Amps. Geyser, pool pump, borehole, oven, garrage.

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG

Edited by RyanG
To help understand, Essencial load is where you see the UPS Diagram. AUX would be a generator running for instance