Solar Boks Lithium Battery special

Does anyone know if Solar Boks (Pty) (solar-boks.co.za) is legit? They have a special that seems "too good to be true"

The domain creation date of 2021/03/22 12:04:58 raises alarm bells, especially since their sales guy claims they have been in business 7 years.

CIPS has no company registered as Solar Boks (Pty)

The same special can be found on http://brightsunsolar.co.za/ and this domain creation date is 2021/05/27 12:34:19

In the write up of the batteries on both sites there is reference to SolarCity RSA - ""you have a 10 year exchange warranty exclusive to SolarCity RSA and our 12+ years of experience in the solar PV industry ""

1 hour ago, Gerald V said:

Does anyone know if Solar Boks (Pty) (solar-boks.co.za) is legit? They have a special that seems "too good to be true"

The domain creation date of 2021/03/22 12:04:58 raises alarm bells, especially since their sales guy claims they have been in business 7 years.

CIPS has no company registered as Solar Boks (Pty)

The same special can be found on http://brightsunsolar.co.za/ and this domain creation date is 2021/05/27 12:34:19

In the write up of the batteries on both sites there is reference to SolarCity RSA - ""you have a 10 year exchange warranty exclusive to SolarCity RSA and our 12+ years of experience in the solar PV industry ""

SolarCity RSA is a known scammer. He keeps creating new websites to try and con people. STAY AWAY!

Previous SolarCity RSA "deals":

Edited by tetrasection

It seems like a new website has popped up:

https://powersolutionrsa.co.za/ Creation Date: 2021-05-17T10:14:13Z

About Us

Founded in 2013, The Watt Store, was launched as an E-Commerce website specializing in Solar Power and Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) products. We are based in South Africa.

Our access to a huge amount of stock coupled with our 30+ years of experience and expert knowledge means that we are able to provide reliable, comprehensive advice and complete solutions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

www.solarflow.co.za (Solar Flow RSA) could possibly be another one of these scammers.

Would prefer to be proved wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

Good afternoon all

I wish to advice all users that Solar Boks are scammers, unfortunately I am one of their victims. When I saw their advert in May  2021 I thought it was legit, their website appeared to be professional and legit. I called them and a guy called Lucas was at the other end of the line. I got a bit suspicious initially because his accent was of a foreigner (ie. not South African but more like Zimbabwean) When they sent me the confirmation/ proforma invoice via email and WhatsApp  I decided to place a formal order. 

They confirmed the order and promised to deliver within seven days as I was from North West. I did the EFT and they confirmed that it was received.

I still had this little doubt in my mind and I decided to check their reviews on Hello Peter. As Graham indicated there was not much about them only one positive and two negative reviews , and one of the negatives was removed. I called them again to check and they told me that the reviews were from their competitors and they are working on having reviews removed from Hello Peter.

When the battery was delivered three days later i discovered that it was used and was only wrapped in rubbish bin plastic. As one of the consumers mentioned in Hello Peter, they tried to paint it so that it look new. I was so furious I called them immediately. This Lucas asked me to send him photos of the battery and he told me that he is going to check with management and they will send me a new one. To date I have not received a replacement battery, best of all they do not pick my calls up nor respond to my emails and WhatsApp messages except when I threaten them that I am going to report this to the authorities.

They gave me a fake address for their so called warehouse in Midrand , I drove past the address they gave and it was an empty stand.

When I looked at the reviews from other users, it came to mind that they are still scamming other unsuspecting consumers, I strongly agree that their website should be blocked, their business license be revoked and be flagged as high risk scammers for all South Africans to see. 

Regards

Clean-energy Thabo

The way forward and to prevent this happening in future, the only way to deal with this (even if it's going to be painful) is to go to the police and open a case against the scammers. Looks like they just keep on creating new websites every couple of months.

Edited by PowerUser

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My uncle bought a battery from them. 

It works fine but the BMS doesn't work. It has been repainted and has no markings on it that indicate what the buttons on the BMS mean and the level indicators etc. 

He collected the battery and paid for it using a card machine on the premises in Midrand. 

I decided to get one on his recommendation before I saw a picture of his. I made an eft after they sent me a proforma invoice. They sent a follow up email stating that the battery had been dispatched and that it would be with me in 2-3 days. I tried to follow up with them about a tracking number and they said that they were waiting for it. I tried to call them and spoke to Lucas about it. He reassured me that it was coming and that I would get the tracking info later that day. A day later I tried to call again but my number had been blocked. A week later I got a whats app message that they were still waiting for the dispatch warehouse to send the tracking number but the battery would be with me the next day. 

In the meantime I had arranged for two of my friends to collect a battery from them using my POP and supporting documents. 

They collected it under protest. I had that couriered down using Courier Guy and received it the next day.

Upon receipt I could see that it had also been repainted and that there were no markings to indicate what the BMS functions were. The negative and positive terminals weren't marked either. 

I am pretty sure solar boks will never accept a warrenty claim on the batteries they sell as they tried to scam me of R16k the first time round. They seem to getting these batteries from a source, re-branding them and forwarding them on. My batteries BMS works and it has 97 cycles on it so it is not new as claimed on the website. 

I would strongly advise people not to use these type of websites, they are scammers. 

The email response I got from solar boks had a link to their website. It directs you to another site though called www.stellensolar.co.za with the same type of specials on it. They are trying to operate in all provinces based out of a house in Midrand. 

Subsequently the BMS on my battery has stopped working. The battery still works but displays no information for me to monitor state of charge etc. 

I cannot send it back to them so will need to sort the issue out myself. 

I would strongly recommend a reputable supplier who has the correct back up service if anything goes wrong 

Just read someone has been scammed by Solar Boks.  They have no company registration number, no VAT number and no physical address.  They will no doubt change names and continue to trade with a new website.  Beware!!! If it sounds too good to be true, it is, especially online with no recourse when you never receive anything. 

• 1 year later...