ICC alternative

Clivevan

I had a home  Axpert and monitored it with a Rasberry Pi running ICC. It gave beautiful remote access and I enjoyed the view.

But changed system to Victron (upgraded) and now I want to migrate my ICC to an adjacent cottage where I have a smaller Axpert running.

I am told ICC no longer supports my system and I have to upgrade to a new monthly package.

I cannot afford that just for the cottage - hardly occupied.

Are there alternative ways to have remote access to esp SOC and incoming and outgoing current? It is a 12v 1000w Axpert with a 12v 200A Mecer lithium ion (a cheapie but I only use the system for load shedding and do not use the panels.)

How do I know the SOC without having to attend next doors at the cottage?

Depending on the distance, you could use one of these:

Range is dependent on walls etc... I installed one in a basement for monitoring upstairs.

[R452.00 40% OFF]DC 500V 50A 100A 200A 300A 500A Wireless Voltage Meter Ammeter Solar Battery Charging Coulometer Capacity Power Detector Tester Module Board from Electronic Components & Supplies on banggood
https://banggood.app.link/o9Af3H9Eihb

I am told there is no such thing as a monthly subscription and the ICC license is valid  till past 2050.

Apparently the subscription only applies to people who buy the SMH package from  Centurion solar.

"There will be a R49.99 subscription per month to help pay for all the services offered, our dedicated support people, further development, cloud servers, etc, but once you take everything above into account, I am sure you will agree that it’s really not a lot to ask for all of this, and as mentioned, if you are an existing ICC user (regardless of where you bought it originally), you can register to be upgraded to SMH for free, and just pay the subscription from there."

I am looking at trying out the V4  kit with advanced power management contacted ICC directly and was told the license until at least 2050 ... and no subscriptions are charged.

https://iccsoftware.co.za/product/icc-pi-kit-licensed-with-advance-power-management-licensed/

11 hours ago, isetech said:

I am told there is no such thing as a monthly subscription and the ICC license is valid  till past 2050.

Apparently the subscription only applies to people who buy the SMH package from  Centurion solar.

No. I have to MIGRATE from the previous inverter to a different one. Phoned to get the registration moved to a new inverter and expressly told I have to buy the "upgrade" and pay a monthly of R83.00.

Was a bit miffed because I only recently (a year and a half) spent much on a rasberry pi etc

11 hours ago, isetech said:

12 hours ago, isetech said:

looking at this again - yes that is me I suppose.  So no more support from Centurion and the supplier insists I buy new?

@Clivevan just go to the link above posted by @isetech. That will take you the website of Manie who maintains, upgrades and sells the ICC-PI that I and many others worldwide have been using for many years. I have never had to pay for upgrades or a monthly fee. How Centurion fits into the picture I do not know or care about. 

The way I understand it ... I paid R799 for the software from solar assistant ... I paid for the software on the SD card not the location/site ... I can move the SD card to which ever site I wish ... but cant copy the SD card to use on multiple sites  ... 1 x license per SD card ... per site. 

If I disconnect the unit and move the Pi and SD card loaded with the paid for software to another location there should be no fee or upgrade ... still the same license ... just a different location ... which I would have to update network SSID and password.

I am new to all this stuff ... please feel to correct me if I have got it all wrong.

Here is something else to consider with regards to remote viewing ... the Pi is a mini computer ... why cant you use a program like team viewer (for linux)  to remotely monitor and control your Pi? 

the same with watchpower ... is no way to load watch power onto a Pi and team viewer ... which would be free and not only allow you to view but also control 

A note ... Apparently Centurion solar and ICC are two completely separate entities.

ICC is a real software solution company with the latest version  4.3

Centurion solar has a program called "SMH" which is using version 1.3 of ICC ... who are apparently in a legal battle with ICC.

How I understand it ... if you upgrade from ICC or buy the SMH software ... which is using an older version of ICC ... you then pay a monthy subscription for the SMH package ... which includes the ICC software. 

Once again I wish someone would clear this up on the power forum ... there are just too many conflicting stories.

On 2021/06/22 at 6:03 PM, Ian said:

Depending on the distance, you could use one of these:

Range is dependent on walls etc... I installed one in a basement for monitoring upstairs.

[R452.00 40% OFF]DC 500V 50A 100A 200A 300A 500A Wireless Voltage Meter Ammeter Solar Battery Charging Coulometer Capacity Power Detector Tester Module Board from Electronic Components & Supplies on banggood
https://banggood.app.link/o9Af3H9Eihb

I do not think this will work for me.

from the site:

A:
I think that the nature of the radio link is being misunderstood.
Judging by the NRF24 chip on the picture from the display rear I believe that the radio link is NOT so that the information can be displayed on a smart device etc. via bluetooth or wifi.
The radio link allows the supplied display to link to the sensors wireless. To achieve this the display would need to be powered locally, probably through the USB port.
I hope that this helps

On 2021/06/23 at 8:56 AM, ebrsa said:

@Clivevan just go to the link above posted by @isetech. That will take you the website of Manie who maintains, upgrades and sells the ICC-PI that I and many others worldwide have been using for many years. I have never had to pay for upgrades or a monthly fee. How Centurion fits into the picture I do not know or care about. 

No this is merely the site of the ICC software producer - it may or may not be "Manie". It is the very site that now wants me to pay a second time/pay monthly.

I emailed them as follows:

I purchased the ICC software about 18 months ago. On Powerforum the members assure me I do not have to pay AGAIN or pay a subscription fee.
Is this correct?
Originally purchased through Centurion Solar and they now simply say they do not support any more.
How can I end up having to pay TWICE?

The answer came promptly:

Hi

You can purchase the upgrade https://iccsoftware.co.za/product/icc-pi-v4-upgrade-only-old-versions-below-v4-key-valid-till-year-2063/

Regards

ICC

The site informs:

Please not this is only for old versions, and versions not purchased directly from ICC. Please add your old machine ID to the order description. 

The good news!!!  It is only R250.00 so I will try it. Now to find out what my "machine ID" is. . . .

• 1 month later...

I decided to upgrade from ICC to SMH as soon as got the announcement.  Main reason was that now it looks some kind of a pro software so i can expect that SMH runs stable, more stable than ICC did (crashed quite often).  

I'm very pleased with SMH up to now. It has a nice dashboard including a lot of details about the whole system.  With EMONcms no longer on the same pi, rather than on a remote host, opens the possibility to access it from anywhere over the internet. I used GPIO to do some load balancing based on the battery status.  It has been renamed to APM but looks quite the same. I understand that it is being phased out. Therefore i'm looking for another Home Assistent solution. 

I installed OpenHAB on a pi.  At first glance it looks as it would be overkill for my requirements:  Enable/disable pool pump, start power generator if needed, heat water boiler, and charge the EV if battery allows (planed). 

If all of this functions work properly SMH brings added value to me.  I'm therefore not surprised to pay a regular fee (of course not too high as i do not make money with my solar system). 

For the record ... I decided to go with solar assistant ... I get the information I require without any further cost to me or the customer ... we had a few challenges in the beginning which have been sorted out.

I decided against outlaying more money to "try" other systems ... too much "he said this and they said that" ... at the end of the day ... I just want a system which collects the data which I can view as and when required.

ICC IS NOW SMH!

If ICC is now SMH ... they must own the ICC website ? 

Maybe creating all this hype to get free advertising on forums ? 

Excuse my ignorance ... but I am confused. 

ICC say SMH are running old software ... SMH are say ICC cant run home automation and a list of other features ... yet SMH are saying they are ICC.

(by the way Dexitt I have no reason to misinform or Lie to anyone ... you should try contacting either one of these companies ... its a joke) this is the reason I chose to go with Solar assistant. 

It seems there is a lot of confusion about the ICC-Pi Software suppliers. Since I have been using it since it was a Windows only app and had contact with the two developers, Jaco and Manie, I hope some background will clarify the issue. The original Windows app was donationware. After some time the RPi app became the standard only app available. At some point Jaco and Manie parted  company and since then Manie continued to supply and develop the ICC-PI app. At a later date Centurion Solar became a reseller of the ICC-PI app.

Some time ago Manie and Centurion Solar also severed their relationship and Centurion now supply their own app, whatever the origin or code base may be. So the two current suppliers are ICCSoftware which is Manie's enterprise and Centurion Solar which supplies a similar app. The two websites are named after the suppliers and relevant information about their products and prices are available on each. 

I hope this clarifies matters. 

• 1 month later...

I had an ICC setup via Centurion and had an issue with the Pi which had to be sent back for repair. When I got it back it was changed to SMH. It has not worked satisfactorily and I have been told that I need to subscribe to an monthly or annual fee for this to happen.

• 4 months later...
On 2021/08/02 at 8:02 AM, ebrsa said:

It seems there is a lot of confusion about the ICC-Pi Software suppliers. Since I have been using it since it was a Windows only app and had contact with the two developers, Jaco and Manie, I hope some background will clarify the issue. The original Windows app was donationware. After some time the RPi app became the standard only app available. At some point Jaco and Manie parted  company and since then Manie continued to supply and develop the ICC-PI app. At a later date Centurion Solar became a reseller of the ICC-PI app.

Some time ago Manie and Centurion Solar also severed their relationship and Centurion now supply their own app, whatever the origin or code base may be. So the two current suppliers are ICCSoftware which is Manie's enterprise and Centurion Solar which supplies a similar app. The two websites are named after the suppliers and relevant information about their products and prices are available on each. 

I hope this clarifies matters. 

All I can say is, both "companies" destroyed their brands.  That Manie guy especially sounds like a business nightmare considering, not once, but twice he had a split (not a team player clearly).

Would 100% rather go for something like SolarAssistant.  At least you know the developer isn't going to flip a desk and rage quit on his supplier so you need to pay again because he can't care about his customers.  Not sure if that move was to screw his customers or his ex-partner or those who "dared" to support his ex-partner... it is just a d!ck move.

Edited by Gnome

@Gnome I have always found Manie Erasmus of ICCSoftware most helpful and cordial. As a long time user of ICC I can say that it controls my 2 x Axpert 5Kva cluster flawlessly. Recently had to replace my BMV700, which failed and opted for the Victron Smartshunt. My FLA batteries I also replaced with a DIY 240AH LFP battery bank. ICC works perfectly on a RPi 3B in controlling all necessary functions and does a sterling job in controlling the sensitive matter of correct battery charging voltages.

Manie was understandably very upset when his source code was published publicly. The source remains unknown but it seems likely that it might have been a trusted associate of the past. I am one satisfied customer who has paid only once and my licence is valid until 2063.

When I initially installed my first solar system I made use ICC. It was a steep learning curve for me as I grew up with Windows. The Pi makes use of the Debian, Mac or Ubuntu operating system. That was all Greek to me. I had a notebook full of commands to update the Pi and how to install ICC onto it and get it up and running. It was very frustrating if I could not get it to work and and found out I first had to Sudo this and Sudo that to get it up and running. Then sold my house and have not used anything for the last 3-4 years. I recently decided to go the solar route again.  

I knew I had to install some monitoring software for my new solar system. I also knew if I used ICC, I would have to learn all those commands again as I have forgotten everything I have learnt and no longer have the notebook with all the steps and commands. Maybe that has changed since then, I don't know. Then I found Solar Assistant - Made for the dumb Windows guys like me. You boot up the Pi with the Solar Assistant image on the SD card. All you need to do is enter your Network details to get the Pi onto your local WiFi network. Then select your interface with the inverter, either USB or RS232 and the USB port you plugged your battery into, save the settings and press connect and it starts working. You don't even need a display to see what is happening in the background. More simple than that you cannot get. Everything automated. You don't have to punch in one command or Sudo anything. If you shut down the Pi or restart it, it starts monitoring your system without doing anything and you can even log in remotely to see all your stats and graphs and make changes to your settings remotely. 

I don't even know what operating system is on the Pi and I don't care, all I know it is working like a dream. Since I started using Solar Assistant mid December, it has not missed a beat, frozen up or gone down once. 

Edited by Don

26 minutes ago, Don said:

When I initially installed my first solar system I made use ICC. It was a steep learning curve for me as I grew up with Windows. The Pi makes use of the Debian, Mac or Ubuntu operating system. That was all Greek to me. I had a notebook full of commands to update the Pi and how to install ICC onto it and get it up and running. It was very frustrating if I could not get it to work and and found out I first had to Sudo this and Sudo that to get it up and running. Then sold my house and have not used anything for the last 3-4 years. I recently decided to go the solar route again.  

I knew I had to install some monitoring software for my new solar system. I also knew if I used ICC, I would have to learn all those commands again as I have forgotten everything I have learnt and no longer have the notebook with all the steps and commands. Maybe that has changed since then, I don't know. Then I found Solar Assistant - Made for the dumb Windows guys like me. You boot up the Pi with the Solar Assistant image on the SD card. All you need to do is enter your Network details to get the Pi onto your local WiFi network. Then select your interface with the inverter, either USB or RS232 and the USB port you plugged your battery into, save the settings and press connect and it starts working. You don't even need a display to see what is happening in the background. More simple than that you cannot get. Everything automated. You don't have to punch in one command or Sudo anything. Once you power up the Pi, it starts monitoring your system and you can even log in remotely to see all your stats and graphs and make changes to your settings remotely. 

I don't even know what operating system is on the Pi and I don't care, all I know it is working like a dream. Since I started using Solar Assistant mid December, it has not missed a beat, frozen up or gone down once. 

In full agreement.
I started using it mid October last year. It just works and provides all the data needed.
Had my troubles setting it up but that was purely due to poor WiFi signal from the garage to the house. Eventually found a sweet spot for the Pi where the WiFi signal is mostly uninterrupted. Still considering a WiFi power line extender, but for now it's fine, albeit a weak signal.