Jump to content
  • 1

software for sunsynk + pylontech combo


Question

  • Answers 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

Web interface sorted.  I can now remotely alter my inverter settings. Next I want to integrate the settings into my automation flows.  This would essentially allow me to run two seperate sets of

As a side project, I developed a semi-realtime dashboard using some open source components and some custom software that I wrote. My current setup is the following: I have a 8kW sunsynk inve

Ok I am going to say it, this is VERY impressive. Hat off to your technical abilities Boubul. Now if one of you can package this in a consumer friendly way which us non-geeks can understand and u

Posted Images

Recommended Posts

  • 1
2 hours ago, FlipSnyman said:

Yes, I have the same USB/RS485 running of another RPi.

Using this with Sunsynk would mean losing battery comms.  How do you handle battery comms if using RS485 for interface?

My battery coms is done via the CANBUS connection, not the RS485 connection, what batteries do you have? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

As a side project, I developed a semi-realtime dashboard using some open source components and some custom software that I wrote.

My current setup is the following:

I have a 8kW sunsynk inverter and 10kWh revov batteries.

have a program running on a raspberry pi 2 that polls the wifi (solarman) dongle on my 8kw inverter. It writes the inverter data to json files every 30 seconds. I then have another program that uploads the json payloads to a google cloud server (on their free tier) running grafana and influxdb. I have most of the google cloud stuff on a docker image, so I can move it quickly to another server if I see the server isn't handling the loads. I then created the following custom dashboard in grafana:

image.thumb.png.6cab4e524b54d2e601e7f2f3fe517752.png

I'm still trying to pin down what information is useful, so it's still a bit of a work in progress. I have to see what other battery info there is on the inverter, but for now I'm just interested in the soc & voltages.

My next steps are to connect my pi to the can port (rs485 is occupied) and try and get the same info, but I'm not sure how that's gonna work. The rs485 port is unfortunately connected to the batteries, so I can't go that route.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
55 minutes ago, ManiLow said:

As a side project, I developed a semi-realtime dashboard using some open source components and some custom software that I wrote.

My current setup is the following:

I have a 8kW sunsynk inverter and 10kWh revov batteries.

have a program running on a raspberry pi 2 that polls the wifi (solarman) dongle on my 8kw inverter. It writes the inverter data to json files every 30 seconds. I then have another program that uploads the json payloads to a google cloud server (on their free tier) running grafana and influxdb. I have most of the google cloud stuff on a docker image, so I can move it quickly to another server if I see the server isn't handling the loads. I then created the following custom dashboard in grafana:

image.thumb.png.6cab4e524b54d2e601e7f2f3fe517752.png

I'm still trying to pin down what information is useful, so it's still a bit of a work in progress. I have to see what other battery info there is on the inverter, but for now I'm just interested in the soc & voltages.

My next steps are to connect my pi to the can port (rs485 is occupied) and try and get the same info, but I'm not sure how that's gonna work. The rs485 port is unfortunately connected to the batteries, so I can't go that route.

 

That is pretty cool. I saw the Modbus info from sunsynk in another post but I have no idea what to do with it. 

My can port is occupied by the battery bms cable for my pylontech. Will be interested in getting something similar directly from the inverter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
58 minutes ago, ManiLow said:

As a side project, I developed a semi-realtime dashboard using some open source components and some custom software that I wrote.

My current setup is the following:

I have a 8kW sunsynk inverter and 10kWh revov batteries.

have a program running on a raspberry pi 2 that polls the wifi (solarman) dongle on my 8kw inverter. It writes the inverter data to json files every 30 seconds. I then have another program that uploads the json payloads to a google cloud server (on their free tier) running grafana and influxdb. I have most of the google cloud stuff on a docker image, so I can move it quickly to another server if I see the server isn't handling the loads. I then created the following custom dashboard in grafana:

image.thumb.png.6cab4e524b54d2e601e7f2f3fe517752.png

I'm still trying to pin down what information is useful, so it's still a bit of a work in progress. I have to see what other battery info there is on the inverter, but for now I'm just interested in the soc & voltages.

My next steps are to connect my pi to the can port (rs485 is occupied) and try and get the same info, but I'm not sure how that's gonna work. The rs485 port is unfortunately connected to the batteries, so I can't go that route.

 

 

Love that Grafana dashboard. Would you mind sharing what panel components you use for the yellow / blue / red blocks at the top of the dashboard? I'd like to add something like that to my dashboard too. The consumption graph is a great idea too.. adding that to mine now lol 

 

Thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 2020/09/10 at 7:26 PM, Achmat said:

That is pretty cool. I saw the Modbus info from sunsynk in another post but I have no idea what to do with it. 

My can port is occupied by the battery bms cable for my pylontech. Will be interested in getting something similar directly from the inverter. 

Installed my Sunsynk inverter today and the first (and only) thing I miss is the realtime information and integration with my Home Assistant.  Looking at the inverter it would appear like it is has modbus communication available on the RS485 port. 

I have ordered a USB to RS485 receiver to see if I can decode the the communication.  Once decoded I want to create a stand alone ESP8266 which will receive and translate the Modbus and communicate it in realtime via MQTT.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
54 minutes ago, Bloubul7 said:

Installed my Sunsynk inverter today and the first (and only) thing I miss is the realtime information and integration with my Home Assistant.  Looking at the inverter it would appear like it is has modbus communication available on the RS485 port. 

I have ordered a USB to RS485 receiver to see if I can decode the the communication.  Once decoded I want to create a stand alone ESP8266 which will receive and translate the Modbus and communicate it in realtime via MQTT.  

I have a copy of the Modbus information from sunsynk of you're interested. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
56 minutes ago, Bloubul7 said:

Once decoded I want to create a stand alone ESP8266 which will receive and translate the Modbus and communicate it in realtime via MQTT.  

Not much to decoding it. Sunsynk sent me the protocol document on request and it is dead simple.  Here is the code I use for reading the inverter:

https://github.com/justinschoeman/SmarterLoad/blob/master/tx/sunsynk.h

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

All of the critical information captured and scaled.  Now to start with the user interface and some nice Grafana graphs.  Information is updated ever 20 seconds.  Currently using Modbus over TCP to my Home Assistant server.  After this is running perfectly, I will start playing around with a NodeMCU to see if I can make a stand alone solution with a web interface which would be able to change settings as well.

 

2086105767_HA-Solar2.thumb.PNG.e43952041155ba61a85043fa28bd3371.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 2020/09/10 at 6:27 PM, ManiLow said:

As a side project, I developed a semi-realtime dashboard using some open source components and some custom software that I wrote.

My current setup is the following:

I have a 8kW sunsynk inverter and 10kWh revov batteries.

have a program running on a raspberry pi 2 that polls the wifi (solarman) dongle on my 8kw inverter. It writes the inverter data to json files every 30 seconds. I then have another program that uploads the json payloads to a google cloud server (on their free tier) running grafana and influxdb. I have most of the google cloud stuff on a docker image, so I can move it quickly to another server if I see the server isn't handling the loads. I then created the following custom dashboard in grafana:

image.thumb.png.6cab4e524b54d2e601e7f2f3fe517752.png

I'm still trying to pin down what information is useful, so it's still a bit of a work in progress. I have to see what other battery info there is on the inverter, but for now I'm just interested in the soc & voltages.

My next steps are to connect my pi to the can port (rs485 is occupied) and try and get the same info, but I'm not sure how that's gonna work. The rs485 port is unfortunately connected to the batteries, so I can't go that route.

 

Wow, this is what I'm looking for, for the King Inverter.

Is this open source and can I get a copy?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, Barryv said:

Wow, this is what I'm looking for, for the King Inverter.

Is this open source and can I get a copy?

 

Are you running ICC?

The above graphs are produced from Grafana.  In order to set up similar graphs you need to following:

1)  Axpert Logger (either ICC or Solpi).  The logger must be able to publish MQTT

2) InfluxDB with MQTT addon (the logger publishes the value via MQTT.  Influx is a database and store the information)

3) Grafana.  Grafana links to the InfluxDB and is used to produced the graphs based on queries

All of the above can easily be implemented on a Raspberry Pi

Edited by Bloubul7
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 2020/09/28 at 9:36 AM, Bloubul7 said:

All of the critical information captured and scaled.  Now to start with the user interface and some nice Grafana graphs.  Information is updated ever 20 seconds.  Currently using Modbus over TCP to my Home Assistant server.  After this is running perfectly, I will start playing around with a NodeMCU to see if I can make a stand alone solution with a web interface which would be able to change settings as well.

 

2086105767_HA-Solar2.thumb.PNG.e43952041155ba61a85043fa28bd3371.PNG

This is great! I have the cousin to this inverter, Sol-Ark 12k that is sold in the states. I'd love to do something similar. How are you polling the data, via WiFi dongle or connected via RS485 to USB or ???? I am familiar with Node-Red, Influxdb and Grafana on my battery side, capturing Batrium BMS data, but I would love to start capturing the inverter side. Sol-Ark info is tough to come by but I am hoping that since these inverters appear to be the same outside of the name that this should be possible. Thanks!

 

Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 9.37.55 PM.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
11 hours ago, Solardad said:

This is great! I have the cousin to this inverter, Sol-Ark 12k that is sold in the states. I'd love to do something similar. How are you polling the data, via WiFi dongle or connected via RS485 to USB or ???? I am familiar with Node-Red, Influxdb and Grafana on my battery side, capturing Batrium BMS data, but I would love to start capturing the inverter side. Sol-Ark info is tough to come by but I am hoping that since these inverters appear to be the same outside of the name that this should be possible. Thanks!

 

Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 9.37.55 PM.png

Hi and welcome to the forum,

On the inverter side I have made use of a Raspberry Pi Zero with RS485 expansion HAT.   The inverter connects to the Pi through the RS485 port using the pinouts posted earlier

The Pi Zero has been configured as a Modbus Gateway and essentially converts to the Modbus RTU to Modbus TCP.  See link for library used - https://medium.com/@boonsanti/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-modbus-rs-485-to-modbus-tcp-ip-gateway-9ed14ce2c08e

I then have another Raspberry Pi which I use as my main Home automation server (Pi 4, 8gb ram with 256gb NVME drive).  On the server Pi I utilize Node Red to communicate with the Mod Bus relay and retrieve the specific register addresses which I want to monitor.  From there Node Red then formats the values and MQTT then values to my Home Assistant for display as well as log the values in an Influx DB for Grafana integration

image.thumb.png.1b639c50a3932948560375055d716a6f.png

 

image.thumb.png.a5cc2d82fb8aff446789885dde5a96fb.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, Bloubul7 said:

Hi and welcome to the forum,

On the inverter side I have made use of a Raspberry Pi Zero with RS485 expansion HAT.   The inverter connects to the Pi through the RS485 port using the pinouts posted earlier

The Pi Zero has been configured as a Modbus Gateway and essentially converts to the Modbus RTU to Modbus TCP.  See link for library used - https://medium.com/@boonsanti/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-modbus-rs-485-to-modbus-tcp-ip-gateway-9ed14ce2c08e

I then have another Raspberry Pi which I use as my main Home automation server (Pi 4, 8gb ram with 256gb NVME drive).  On the server Pi I utilize Node Red to communicate with the Mod Bus relay and retrieve the specific register addresses which I want to monitor.  From there Node Red then formats the values and MQTT then values to my Home Assistant for display as well as log the values in an Influx DB for Grafana integration

image.thumb.png.1b639c50a3932948560375055d716a6f.png

 

image.thumb.png.a5cc2d82fb8aff446789885dde5a96fb.png

 

@Bloubul7 Thanks for the warm welcome and the details provided. I think this gives me enough to get started. Thanks again! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 2020/09/10 at 12:27 PM, ManiLow said:

As a side project, I developed a semi-realtime dashboard using some open source components and some custom software that I wrote.

My current setup is the following:

I have a 8kW sunsynk inverter and 10kWh revov batteries.

have a program running on a raspberry pi 2 that polls the wifi (solarman) dongle on my 8kw inverter. It writes the inverter data to json files every 30 seconds. I then have another program that uploads the json payloads to a google cloud server (on their free tier) running grafana and influxdb. I have most of the google cloud stuff on a docker image, so I can move it quickly to another server if I see the server isn't handling the loads. I then created the following custom dashboard in grafana:

image.thumb.png.6cab4e524b54d2e601e7f2f3fe517752.png

I'm still trying to pin down what information is useful, so it's still a bit of a work in progress. I have to see what other battery info there is on the inverter, but for now I'm just interested in the soc & voltages.

My next steps are to connect my pi to the can port (rs485 is occupied) and try and get the same info, but I'm not sure how that's gonna work. The rs485 port is unfortunately connected to the batteries, so I can't go that route.

 

@ManiLow very cool you are polling the data from the WiFi dongle. Can you provide some info on how you are doing that? Planning to use rs485 port but while I wait for my interface I thought about trying to setup a test node red to try and read in the data  if it is already in a readable format. Thanks! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, Solardad said:

@ManiLow very cool you are polling the data from the WiFi dongle. Can you provide some info on how you are doing that? Planning to use rs485 port but while I wait for my interface I thought about trying to setup a test node red to try and read in the data  if it is already in a readable format. Thanks! 

You can check Github, there are a couple of webscrapers available for Solarman

https://github.com/tonsnoei/SolarmanWifiApi

https://github.com/XtheOne/Inverter-Data-Logger

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Web interface sorted.  I can now remotely alter my inverter settings.

Next I want to integrate the settings into my automation flows.  This would essentially allow me to run two seperate sets of settings, Loadshedding vs No loadshedding.  The load shedding settings can be triggered by a webhook and will ensure that the battery charging is prioritized when loadshedding is active.

image.thumb.png.a530070e4ba48ad5ffd45891ab5e4265.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...