software for sunsynk + pylontech combo

I wanted to add this to the conversation in case I haven’t mentioned it before. I spoke to a Sol-Ark associate which is the manufacture of my inverter. Cousin to the SunSynk.  I was informed the data that leaves the Wi-Fi dongle, goes to the PowerView ES app which you can use to view your data and information. The PowerView ES app is a cloud-based service. The associate stated that if I had the PowerView app desktop version on my computer, I still would not be able to view the data even if I had a local area network set up. The PowerView ES app will only interpret data through the cloud-based service. So basically to view the data using their current service (PowerView ES) you would must have Internet service at your location. If there is a way to use capture the WiFi data at the inverter and view it in real time without Internet service, that is what I need to do. But need assistance from those who know how. 

Morning. Been following this thread and it's managed to answer just about all the questions I had on interfacing with the Sunsynk inverters via RS485. I went a slightly different route, using an RS485 converter which feeds into the serial port of a D1 mini, which then broadcasts the data via MQTT to my node red raspberry pi. The issue I'm having, is that because I have 2 inverters in parallel, one is designated slave and the other a master. I can configure the D1 as a master node and extract the info I want from the slave inverter, however, the same system doesn't work for the master inverter. The only other alternative I can come up with is to make the D1 a slave node, but then how does one get a slave node to request data from a master node?

On 2021/03/19 at 7:40 PM, Sc00bs said:

@Solar Assistant When about do you anticipate having the RS485 connection available?

I am assuming that if you use the RS232 interface you will loose the wifi connection to Solarman, is that correct?  

Does it integrate with Home Assistant at all, I think the biggest demand is to be able to control Sonoff type devices to be able to automatically switch high load devices off when there is not sufficient power? 

Cables will be available from Monday 29 March. Yes only one device can be connected via the WiFI/RS232 port. We do integrate with Home Assistant but it's a smaller group of users that is beta testing it currently.  It sends out auto discovery information via MQTT to Home Assistant so that your inverter/battery shows up in Home Assistant automatically.  This is similar to how tasmota published it's data and switch capabilities to Home Assistant.  The fact that our product name is Solar Assistant and our domain follows exactly the same format (contains a dash and ends with .io) as Home Assistant is not an accident 🙂

For further contact, please rather email us as this is a non-commercial forum.

On 2021/03/18 at 9:48 PM, Cliff said:

Yea I have worked on a Deye and you can see they are almost identical but I just wanted to check if anyone had actually tried the RS485 modbus protocol on the Deye. 

My gut tells me they should be the same as they both use the same WiFi logger and therefore should support the same protocol. 

Hi All

Just wanted to confirm, that the Deye inverter works and supports the same RS485 modbus protocol as described above.

I have a pi zero running node-red chatting perfectly to the inverter, polling values and broadcasting it out over MQTT. 

image.thumb.png.c1035274fd5baeb43180c373267d3d92.png

On 2021/03/23 at 11:10 AM, baxtmi said:

Morning. Been following this thread and it's managed to answer just about all the questions I had on interfacing with the Sunsynk inverters via RS485. I went a slightly different route, using an RS485 converter which feeds into the serial port of a D1 mini, which then broadcasts the data via MQTT to my node red raspberry pi. The issue I'm having, is that because I have 2 inverters in parallel, one is designated slave and the other a master. I can configure the D1 as a master node and extract the info I want from the slave inverter, however, the same system doesn't work for the master inverter. The only other alternative I can come up with is to make the D1 a slave node, but then how does one get a slave node to request data from a master node?

Greetings, my first post here, great community!

I have just installed a Deye inverter and am also very keen to get some real-time data to control the house loads with.
I like baxtmi's approach here, makes sense to me to have a lightweight interface like the D1 to translate to a home assistant and then use and store data there as required. I am battling to get local stock of the 485 -> TTL Interface board, so I added a Elfin-EW11 module to an amazon order I have coming. This is a nice 485 to wifi serial server which I will try get talking in a similar way to baxtmi. I will report back once I have some hardware to plug in.

I assume no one has managed to use the solarman dongle to get data to home assistant? Even at 1 minute polling would be bearable.

Cheers

56 minutes ago, FlipSnyman said:

Hi, also following this with great interest and thank you for all the information.

When connecting to Sunsynk RS232 port, I need USB-to-Serial converter or is it purely just a cable wired for DB9 to USB?

Thank you

Hi Flip, 

I used a USB-RS485 connection, check out my post with wiring etc.

You could use the serial connection but you will loose your Wifi Dongle.

2 hours ago, FlipSnyman said:

Yes, I have the same USB/RS485 running of another RPi.

Using this with Sunsynk would mean losing battery comms.  How do you handle battery comms if using RS485 for interface?

My battery coms is done via the CANBUS connection, not the RS485 connection, what batteries do you have? 

On 2021/03/30 at 8:13 PM, Cliff said:

Hi All

Just wanted to confirm, that the Deye inverter works and supports the same RS485 modbus protocol as described above.

I have a pi zero running node-red chatting perfectly to the inverter, polling values and broadcasting it out over MQTT. 

image.thumb.png.c1035274fd5baeb43180c373267d3d92.png

Good evening, is it at all possible to share your settings for the timestamp, delay and "inverter" I have a very similar setup to you but getting allot of timeouts.

Kind regards

Afternoon,

I'm using Pylontec batteries, so they communicate with the inverter over CAN, rather than RS485. Using this (https://www.robotics.org.za/W4738) as the interface, and then wiring onto the various D1 ports via a bread board and some jumpers.

In terms of cable, I had some left over cat6 ethernet cable, and some spare RJ45 clips, so that was the end that went into the inverter, and then the side that came into the RS485 converter was either one of the outside pairs onto the A and B inlet port.

I am using a modified version of Bloubul7's flows and haven't had any timeout issues. 

I removed all the parts that were writing to the Inverter and only kept the query side, if you want the full set of flows he posted them online

I added the addresses from the Sunsynk_Modbus document into the function node descriptions for reference.

All Chinese characters were removed from the reference document to make it easier to read.

flows.json sunsynk_modbus (3).docx

On 2021/04/05 at 8:54 PM, GMeiburg said:

Good evening, is it at all possible to share your settings for the timestamp, delay and "inverter" I have a very similar setup to you but getting allot of timeouts.

Kind regards

Hi sorry for the delay.

I am running the the inject every 30s but in my testing is can go much faster, actually just put a message limiter inline as the messages all fire out of the timestamp in parallel, at 4 msg/s I have never had any corruption issues.  

Inverter settings are below. 

If you still having issues it could be the rs885 converter remember 485 is async so the adaptor needs to transmit and then shift to listening mode. 

image.thumb.png.fe41207ecd081c95124d18cd4547f812.png

On 2021/04/05 at 5:41 PM, FlipSnyman said:

Yes, I have the same USB/RS485 running of another RPi.

Using this with Sunsynk would mean losing battery comms.  How do you handle battery comms if using RS485 for interface?

I use the CAN port for battery comms so the 485 port is free. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021/04/12 at 9:49 PM, Cliff said:

Hi sorry for the delay.

I am running the the inject every 30s but in my testing is can go much faster, actually just put a message limiter inline as the messages all fire out of the timestamp in parallel, at 4 msg/s I have never had any corruption issues.  

Inverter settings are below. 

If you still having issues it could be the rs885 converter remember 485 is async so the adaptor needs to transmit and then shift to listening mode. 

image.thumb.png.fe41207ecd081c95124d18cd4547f812.png

Thank you for the response.

I have tried the settings you suggested and i'm still getting timeouts every second message or so. Frustrated I bit the bullet and upgraded the Raspberry pi from a Rpi 1 to a Rpi 4. This has yielded a noticeable improvement but still I am having the intermittent connection. Just to confirm I am not using the RS485 port as my battery is using the port. I pulled out the Rs232 dongle and using that port instead.   

The only other thing I can think of is to try and buy another Rs232 to usb converter. If you have any other suggestions I would really appreciate them, 

thank you all so far for the support!

8 hours ago, GMeiburg said:

I have tried the settings you suggested and i'm still getting timeouts every second message or so. Frustrated I bit the bullet and upgraded the Raspberry pi from a Rpi 1 to a Rpi 4. This has yielded a noticeable improvement but still I am having the intermittent connection. Just to confirm I am not using the RS485 port as my battery is using the port. I pulled out the Rs232 dongle and using that port instead.   

The only other thing I can think of is to try and buy another Rs232 to usb converter. If you have any other suggestions I would really appreciate them, 

Would it not be possible to switch your battery to the CAN port and then utilize the RS485 port for the Pi?

• 7 months later...
On 2020/09/27 at 11:34 AM, JustinSchoeman said:

There were no copyright notices/restrictions in the email they sent me, so I assume it is OK to post it here:

Hi @JustinSchoeman, it seems the modbus registers on the new SunSynk 12kw (SUNSYNK-12K-SG04LP3) is completely different from the other SunSynk inverters.  Do you perhaps have a contact to get the same documentation for this new model?

On 2021/04/21 at 10:08 PM, GMeiburg said:

My understanding from the US forums is that you can also query the inverter using the Canbus port connection as it does apparently have RS485 connections in it as well. I have however never tried this so who knows, would be worth checking out though. 

Canbus connections are:

Grnd on the Canbus is pin2, CanH pin 4 & CanL pin 5. 

So am assuming that it would be 

6- Grnd

7 - RS485B 

8- RS485A 

Would be interesting to know if it works.

On 2021/04/22 at 6:59 AM, Bloubul7 said:

Would it not be possible to switch your battery to the CAN port and then utilize the RS485 port for the Pi?

I think that you can use the Canbus connection for RS485 queries as well using the correct pins as apparently it includes a RS485 port in there somewhere

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know for sure what registers 60 & 61 actually mean? 

I know `Power Wh` really means energy.   But are they really talking about reactive power (measured in kvar)? 

60 当日有功发电量
DayActive PowerWh
There is power generation at the same day
Dayactive PowerWh
61 当日无功发电量
DayReactive PowerWh
Reactive power generation on the same day
DayreActive PowerWh
62 当日并网时间
Day Grid Work Time
On the same day, online time
Day Grid Work Time