Pylon stuck in protection

Jaco Kotze

Hi, I recently bought a Goodwe ES 4.6kw Hybrid and two US3000C Pylons. I cannot get one out of protection (red light stay on). No PV, its only bought for Loadshedding backup. Battery#1 is RED, Battery#2 all green

The Setup:

Setup2.thumb.jpeg.47be97d8f05cb4b8d7f4188ef23022a8.jpegSetup.thumb.jpeg.8056a8a931b20348146a4c864fddd050.jpeg

I tried:

1) Running the inverter between "General Mode" and "Back up Mode"

2) Switch master between the battery pair

3) Play around with the dipswitches (changing obviously when off)

4) Switched between the BMS cable from Goodwe and Pylontech (in the box)

5) Fire Battery#1 on as standalone, remains RED

6) Fire Battery#2 on as standalone, all green

So, if I run both batteries the inverter report BMS comms fault (see all the attached pictures), when I only run on Battery#2 all comms are successfull. The retailer I bought this from claims he never had a comeback on a pylon before, its not the battery, its the BMS cable. He claim the cable pinouts are not correct. (See email from Pylon support below)

---------------------

Good Day 

Apologies, Kindly note that I have you on the radar to assist with your query.

Kindly note if I don't pick up there will be other issues happening at the same time, I would like to respond to you in the quickest time possible.

The pinouts received recently from Pylon tech need to be as below. As discussed, I have assisted one customer with the same issue that was resolved by making the new cable. Pylontech is looking to do OEM of the cable but the quicker solution will be to make up one.

FromPylonTech.thumb.JPG.cf403b476cc3bec66ce21cd3f2ca22c8.JPG

---------------------

I still believe the battery to be a gonner but I will create that cable according to the pin outs they prescribed but I am NOT convinced it will fixed the issue since battery#1 remain in what only looks like permanent protection with nothing connected.

Any advice?

Jaco

Both Running:

BothRunning.thumb.jpeg.186608a30f872582d4a91cf1f87d5442.jpeg

BMS Status: Comms Error when both are running

InverterError-SeeBMSState.thumb.jpeg.245944994c8a5289ba80b121228331ea.jpeg

Standalone

Standalone.thumb.jpeg.875d62ebf82e9ea9b04f7aca63495a25.jpeg

BMS Status: Comms all good

StandaloneStatus.thumb.jpeg.40868af2c2db47e48aff84318588e694.jpeg

Current Data Comms Pinout difference between Goodwe (Grey) and Pylon (Black)

ComparedtoPylonPinout.thumb.jpeg.367629ba7f2603a53bfa708ec1ea6637.jpeg

12 hours ago, Jaco Kotze said:

I left them all night like the video but battery#1 still in protection

Ok - then I believe we can say that low voltage is not the cause ...

I would then ask the Pylon support for help in trying to identify the reason for it being in protection

@Jaco Kotze Might be your dip switch settings are wrong put the master battery on 1110 and slave to 1111

Important for US3000C

DIP switch has been deployed reversely. ON is down, OFF is UP. If DIP switches need to be 1000 then set it to 1110. MAX DISCHARGE AND CHARGE RATE IS ONLY APPLICABLE FOR +- 60 SECONDS

From what I understand, you connected battery #2 on its own and it worked fine, all lights green and no BMS coms error. You did the same and connected battery #1 on its own and red alarm with bms coms error. That means battery#1 is faulty and you need to change it. Send it back to the supplier and tell him how you determined that the battery is faulty. If the issue is low voltage or whatever, let the supplier fix it. Also, it can not be the cable because the same cable works fine with battery#2. If the cable was the issue, you will have the same problem with both batteries. If they are so confident that then never had come backs with Pylons, then they must test the battery with you and see that it is faulty

1 minute ago, hoohloc said:

Send it back to the supplier and tell him how you determined that the battery is faulty.

Agree

I do not see that a comms problem would put the battery into protection - and cause it to remain in protection even if simply switched on by itself without any connections (that's what it does, right?)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Jaco have you heard back or is your issue sorted?

I recently added two US3000C's to my existing four US3000 PylonTechs and balanced them as instructed. I made the new US3000C's master and number two. All seems to charge normal on ac or PV. Discharge through the night is normal until sunrise when PV kicks in, the master goes into protection with solid red light. I swopped master and number two around, making number two now master, but same thing happens at sunrise. ICC reads all normal with the exception of cycles on the older batteries as I was informed firmware needs to be changed (No idea how to do this either).

Does anybody have an idea what is causing this alarm/protection or how to solve it?

Many Thanks

2 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Hi Guys

I recently added two US3000C's to my existing four US3000 PylonTechs and balanced them as instructed. I made the new US3000C's master and number two. All seems to charge normal on ac or PV. Discharge through the night is normal until sunrise when PV kicks in, the master goes into protection with solid red light. I swopped master and number two around, making number two now master, but same thing happens at sunrise. ICC reads all normal with the exception of cycles on the older batteries as I was informed firmware needs to be changed (No idea how to do this either).

Does anybody have an idea what is causing this alarm/protection or how to solve it?

Many Thanks

Have you mixed the US3000Cs into your existing US3000s?

I was advised that the Cs don't play well with others.

1 hour ago, Tubby said:

Hi Paul

Yes I have, the seller said they are fully compatible as long as I make one of them master. I also purchased the new PylonTech cable cable from ICC and they also confirmed compatibility. But I tend to want to agree with you about not playing well.

Down load Battery view.exe, then download putty. Install both on Windows. You need a serial to usb cable as well...then you can use CLI  to see exactly what's going on.....You can see how the the battery settles/balances after installation. It has Over voltage, high voltage issues on some cells but after 2-3 discharges to 30% DoD and recharges it settles down and balances.... 

Bat1InfoSoh.thumb.PNG.85a2cae5e52123b6431720ae2634380b.PNGAbnormlCell.PNG.0f7da9a742e0e50371e7979fd09009f8.PNGBat1InfoSoh.thumb.PNG.85a2cae5e52123b6431720ae2634380b.PNGBatteryBalanced16022021.thumb.PNG.deb61e6ebc4f4ea358584a688b426c1e.PNGs going on with the battery...I'll add examples of output in 5 mins.

BalancedButOV.PNG

Edited by FixAMess

Thanks FixAMess

I appreciate your response and input, but I have no idea what you are talking about, I only know Excel, I am not familiar with going into the software. I also see there is some writing underneath your screen shots which might explain a bit better.

I take it the serial cable plugs into the computer but there is no USB on the batteries. Again thanks for your input but it seems like this is a sure way for me to "break" my batteries.

34 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Thanks FixAMess

I appreciate your response and input, but I have no idea what you are talking about, I only know Excel, I am not familiar with going into the software. I also see there is some writing underneath your screen shots which might explain a bit better.

I take it the serial cable plugs into the computer but there is no USB on the batteries. Again thanks for your input but it seems like this is a sure way for me to "break" my batteries.

No, the USB side goes into your pc, the other end into the battery...Ill send a pic when I'm home.The software just reads from the battery, you can't break the battery. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021/02/19 at 9:16 AM, Tubby said:

Hi Guys

Many Thanks

I think the US3000C batteries have some issues... I have a standalone system with two US3000Cs. They work fine during the day, but the BMS alarms when discharging. The draw is only around 400W at night. When discharged to 60%, the BMS alarms. I reported this to Segen, and was told they have many 3000Cs being returned. They now need to replace some internal card on the one...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021/02/19 at 11:12 AM, FixAMess said:

Down load Battery view.exe, then download putty. Install both on Windows. You need a serial to usb cable as well...then you can use CLI  to see exactly what's going on.....You can see how the the battery settles/balances after installation. It has Over voltage, high voltage issues on some cells but after 2-3 discharges to 30% DoD and recharges it settles down and balances.... 

Bat1InfoSoh.thumb.PNG.85a2cae5e52123b6431720ae2634380b.PNG

AbnormlCell.PNG.0f7da9a742e0e50371e7979fd09009f8.PNG

Bat1InfoSoh.thumb.PNG.85a2cae5e52123b6431720ae2634380b.PNG

BatteryBalanced16022021.thumb.PNG.deb61e6ebc4f4ea358584a688b426c1e.PNGs going on with the battery...I'll add examples of output in 5 mins.

BalancedButOV.PNG

I noticed that you have v2.5 of the firmware installed. Do you have a copy of the firmware file?

On 2021/03/03 at 2:56 PM, BigDee Solar said:

I think the US3000C batteries have some issues... I have a standalone system with two US3000Cs. They work fine during the day, but the BMS alarms when discharging. The draw is only around 400W at night. When discharged to 60%, the BMS alarms. I reported this to Segen, and was told they have many 3000Cs being returned. They now need to replace some internal card on the one...

I have to totally agree. It seems a whole batch is problematic.

This is what I am experiencing with a single US3000C in my pack:

I have an existing 3 x US2000 Plus pack to which I added a new US3000C and a US2000 module. I have 2 x Axpert MKS 5K 48V (Voltronic PIP-4048MS) connected in parallel. These inverters do NOT offer BMS connectivity to the Pylontech batteries. I make use of ICC to monitor the SOC and change to grid when the pack SOC is at 22%. 

The US3000C is set as the Master module based on the recommendations from the US3000C manual as per below. 

image.png

Last weekend, I commissioned the new modules into the pack. Below are the details of each module and the order in which they are. Address 1 and 2 are the new modules with 3, 4 & 5 being the older modules. 

image.png.4b53cc18e891dba0259f59291002b537.png

All modules have the latest available firmware from the supplier. V1.7 for the US3000C and V2.4 for the US2000 modules. 

There are 2 issues that I have been experiencing since the commissioning of the new modules. 

1. The first issue is that the Master US3000C module goes into an Alarm state and the BMS reports that the module has been shut down. This is occurring during discharge only. All other slaves continue to function. 

image.thumb.png.951e4cd49ff7f9827e74b28e9f3ae498.png

Upon looking at the state in BatteryView, a "SysError" with code 65536 and with no description under the Alarm/Protection info section. The event logs also displays the same for the number of times it has occurred thus far. 

image.thumb.png.eb834162ea30d41301f18e1d186a8295.png

image.thumb.png.ff81591587bd68a79bcda4e1f3a8b19a.png

This has been occurring for the last few nights and only during the discharge cycle. During charge there is no issue to be reported and the battery module functions as expected. The US2000 modules have no event log reported. Something I also noticed is that this "SysError" event occurs during discharge only. It is hard to say what the actual issue is but my suspicions lie with communication to the slave modules. The US3000C has no other protection systems engaged, so all cells are within normal operating range. 

The only way to get the US3000C module out of this state is by switching the module off using the power button and powering it back on again, thereafter using the SW switch after which it soft restarts all the slaves. 

2. The second issue is around the new built in soft-start function on the US3000C. 

The manual indicates a new feature as per below, yet when I start the battery pack up with the Inverters connected, the US3000C log reports a SC (Short Circuit) error and shuts down and alarm light goes on. This is also noticeable in the event log of the US3000C module above. I did not have this issue with the old US2000 modules for the past 3 years until introducing the new US3000C module in.  

image.png

Yesterday I received the V1.8 firmware for the US3000C and the problem still persisted today. The event occurs while I am asleep and when there is minimal load. The soft-start issue also persisted. 

image.png.0f258b3b27b6cc540b2d76d0a47d92c1.png

image.thumb.png.74c8c76ef276ff9a03de9b2aac1ca576.png

Today I have been told to return the US3000C module back so that the board inside can be replaced as per Pylontech's recommendation. So it seems the new board(V10R04) is problematic. If you look at the US3000A modules, they still use the older US2000 boards(PHANTOMSAV10R03) and uses the same firmware as well. I wonder if the "new" board will be the older revision...

This is extremely frustrating that we have to endure these kind of issues. Surely Pylontech has a Quality assurance process that tests these modules in various configurations and checks that each and every unit is in working condition prior to being shipped. Clearly not in this case. 

I will update this thread once the board has been replaced. 

Edited by PurePower