SunSynk - Inverter Monitoring

Bloubul7

Hi all,

I am trying to read the Deye/SunSynk inverter using an USB to RS232 cable connected to my PC running a LabVIEW application. 

The problem I am facing is that it doesn't work repeatedly. It is completely random when and which block executes succesfully.

Any ideas about what could be going on here?

Attached are two images that give a visual representation.

Twan 

DeyeSunsynk_modbustest.png

DeyeSunsynk_modbustest2.png

22 minutes ago, jacauc said:

Wow cool! Anything I should undo or disable in HA before installing the addon? 

You probably just want a single connection to the uart/rs485 device at a time - so stop your NodeRed connection for now

Install the addon, configure (starting will show the serial# in the logs- used for hass unique id) and then you are good to go

The Addon only reads today, no writing yet

You will need MQTT discovery for the sensors to show up. Then go to configure -> devices -> search for “sunsynk” to list your entities

This runs on Hassio/HassOS and needs the RS485 connected locally to USB. But MQTT does not have to be local…

In my setup I have 2xraspberries. Both run HassOS and the HassOS with the RS485 uses this addon to send to my main HomeAssistant’s MQTT server

(it should also be possible to run a usb to tcp modbus gateway on “that other” raspberry and run this addon remotely)

@kellerzaI see that there is a Solark Plugin for Home Assistant now as well https://github.com/pbix/HA-solark-PV 

Solark is basically the Sunsynk/DEYE inverter re-branded for the USA market.  

I did notice an interesting comment in the Github instructions. 

"On my inverter this connector is labeled "CANBus" and contains both these RS-485 pins and the CAN bus pins. I use pins 6,7&8 per my manual."

Seems that you are still able to connect, even if using the RS485 port for your BMS connection. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, unfortunately it looks like we are going to have to buy new dongle's if we want to use it though. 

Was hoping that we would just be able to flash the old ones with some new firmware and use them. 

Maybe someone will come up with a hack of some sorts 🙂 

Good question Saliegh

In the end its up to you, using this new solution you wont be able to control anything locally. What I understand from the Sunsynk solution is that changing settings will be limited to certified installers only.

With NodeRed and/or the HASS plugin you have the option to view it locally and add automations... I'm also considering writing certain options through the plugin, but it wont be all the settings

17 hours ago, kellerza said:

Good question Saliegh

In the end its up to you, using this new solution you wont be able to control anything locally. What I understand from the Sunsynk solution is that changing settings will be limited to certified installers only.

With NodeRed and/or the HASS plugin you have the option to view it locally and add automations... I'm also considering writing certain options through the plugin, but it wont be all the settings

Just to correct your statement that only certified installers will be able make changes to settings, that is no longer the case.  Sunsynk has changed that so that owners may make changes and for the owner to authorise the installer to also do so.  You may view one of their videos on Youtube where Keith confirmed this after having received many requests from owners.

Regards,

Rian

21 minutes ago, MyOwnPower said:

Just to correct your statement that only certified installers will be able make changes to settings, that is no longer the case.  Sunsynk has changed that so that owners may make changes and for the owner to authorise the installer to also do so.  You may view one of their videos on Youtube where Keith confirmed this after having received many requests from owners

That is indeed good news. In the launch video it was installers only and they had a very concerning "kill switch" to remotely disable your inverter.

In the end the Home Assistant integration worked out well. It allows you to visualize the inverter data and create automations based on it.

4 hours ago, Saliegh said:

Anybody else experience this? Data collection has been normal, until this morning when I saw 7MWh of solar generation for the day

solar gen.JPG

3 hours ago, dawolf said:

Mine is the same as well,

Screenshot.thumb.png.ed9f7808e8d18d855964e6d8cd2f2845.png

2 hours ago, Sc00bs said:

Had a look in my records and it has happened a few times to my data as well.

Interesting that they are all exactly the same figure i.e. 6.55Mwh 

image.thumb.png.3b691477c40061f514fab8d8dc72e930.png

That happens when the small nuclear reactor kicks in, inside your SunSynk inverters 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

My guess on the 6.55MWh thing is that the data is stored as a 16 bit unsigned integer (maximum value of 65535), with each discrete integer representing 0.1 kWh. That would mean that a very small negative number would wrap around from 0  to 65535, resulting in 65535 x 0.1 kWh = 6.55 MWh. Considering that the value seems to be for a whole day I would assume the problem is not at the storage backend, but rather somewhere between the inverter and node-red.

14 hours ago, angel_cs said:

Anyone got data though WiFi? I have a 5kW inverter with WiFi module and I'm not able to get any data and there are no information around.

This is quite a broad question. You should provide for info, e.g. what wifi module are you using. Some might say that you should be posting a question in the appropriate topic too 🙂