Hubble Lithium Battery AM-2 5.5kWh

system32

1 minute ago, YellowTapemeasure said:

Do you know of any other battery manufacturers who allow unattended OTA firmware updates?  

Yes SunSynk!

Anyway, when I enquired for a firmware update for my Hubble from the Powerforum store, Steve was explaining that I really need the Cloudlink for such purposes and without that, I might even have to take the battery every time to Hubble's offices for an upgrade and pay for a visit by a installer to come and do the upgrade for me. I chose not to buy the Cloudlink and I went and spoke to Hubble, they were happy to sell me the cable and provide me with the firmware update files. I'm quite proficient to be able to perform such task myself but not everyone is comfortable doing this on their own.

Anyway, my point is still OTA firmware updates are one of the advertised and strong selling point for the Cloudlink! 

That's why I was surprised why Hubble can't do that for @Bluefronted.

13 minutes ago, YellowTapemeasure said:

In my understanding, the Cloudlink provides remote monitoring (and some tweaking) of the Hubble batteries, by the owner as well as Hubble themselves. You are welcome to correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall Hubble ever stating that it was to be used for BMS firmware updates, those were always performed in-person, on site with the USB to RJ-12 cable from a laptop.

Personally, I am happier with on-site updates, I think that it is purely for safety's sake, the procedure ensures a competent person on site. Imagine the potential drama if a firmware update for some reason goes wrong (bad wifi?) and the BMS gets left in an unknown state, who knows what could possibly happen with all of that energy. 

Do you know of any other battery manufacturers who allow unattended OTA firmware updates?  

You have a valid point, however majority of todays equipment provides for OTA updates.  It's all to do with the process of writing the file and relevant checksums being completed prior to commiting the reset/reboot.
But again if the hardware or interfaces do not permit for such controls, then unattended upgrades could go horribly wrong. 
Refer to the post on 16 February in this discussion, where Steve (Powerforum Store) also mentioned the possibility, post discussions with Hubble.  Hence why I was looking for confirmation from Hubble themselves.

There is also the query between the abilities of the older RIOT unit versus the newer Cloudlink, where we need to be sure which unit is in operation and whether the functionality in this regard (OTA) differs.

3 minutes ago, HiTech said:

There is also the query between the abilities of the older RIOT unit versus the newer Cloudlink, where we need to be sure which unit is in operation and whether the functionality in this regard (OTA) differs.

If you look at the pictures of @Bluefronted installation, he does have a blue unit, which is the new Hubble Cloudlink. That's why I wrote in my comments "Cloudlink" and not "Riotlink".

We are sure of the unit in this case.

Hi all.

I too have a problem with my 5kw hubble battery and was suggested to update the firmware.

Quick question.  I do have a Rs232 cable (com > RJ45)  and a desktop PC with a com port running Windows 8. (Sluggish but good with watching video)  Can I use that cable?

2ndly.  If I strip a RJ12 and USB cable and join them together is there any drivers that I need to download for the Laptop to think it has a serial port. (As I understand it on the pinout  it goes strait through.  pin 1 to pin 1, 2 to 2 etc.) 

3 hours ago, Robert1981 said:

Hi all.

I too have a problem with my 5kw hubble battery and was suggested to update the firmware.

Quick question.  I do have a Rs232 cable (com > RJ45)  and a desktop PC with a com port running Windows 8. (Sluggish but good with watching video)  Can I use that cable?

2ndly.  If I strip a RJ12 and USB cable and join them together is there any drivers that I need to download for the Laptop to think it has a serial port. (As I understand it on the pinout  it goes strait through.  pin 1 to pin 1, 2 to 2 etc.) 

If your laptop has an RS323 serial port (normally a DB9 socket), you should be able to use that directly.

>If I strip a RJ12 and USB cable and join them together
AFAIK, this will not work.
You need a USB-to-RS232 protocol converter chip.
The USB side is a little bigger and embedded inside is chip that does the conversion.
image.png.ef09ef4af02206ad467e3a586d92e29b.png
Internally the cable has a chip similar to this:
image.png.9a97cba1008f634953ea75c3be311b53.png

Edited by system32

On 2022/07/07 at 12:53 PM, PowerUser said:

Yes! Right there on the Hubble website:

https://www.hubblelithium.co.za/hubble-cloudlink.html

AUTO UPDATES
Automatic seamless Cloudlink encrypted, over the cloud, updates

I think that refers to updating the CloudLink device itself.
AFAIK, CloudLink can't yet update the firmware on the BMS.

On the AM-2, has anyone use the RS485/RJ45 port for firmware updates as documented in the AM-2 manual:
image.png.8c2a1c0ecf7fa9fb8f330d21154ab2f9.png

The reason I'm asking, is that:
Ready made USB-to-RS485 cable with RJ45 connectors are readily available.
Ready made USB-to-RS232 cable with RJ12 connectors are somewhat rare.

RJ45 connectors are used for 10/100/1000 Network/Ethernet/LAN cables and are very common.

Edited by system32

18 minutes ago, system32 said:

On the AM-2, has anyone use the RS485/RJ45 port for firmware updates as documented in the AM-2 manual:
image.png.8c2a1c0ecf7fa9fb8f330d21154ab2f9.png

The reason I'm asking, is that:
Ready made USB-to-RS485 cable with RJ45 connectors are readily available.
Ready made USB-to-RS232 cable with RJ12 connectors are somewhat rare.

RJ45 connectors are used for 10/100/1000 Network/Ethernet/LAN cables and are very common.

Basically my question as well.  Then I can just drag my desktop pc to the battery and update the inverter via the PC's COM port.  Will try over the weekend and update here.

Edited by Robert1981

2 hours ago, Robert1981 said:

Basically my question as well.  Then I can just drag my desktop pc to the battery and update the inverter via the PC's COM port.  Will try over the weekend and update here.

You should be able to use a PC DB9 serial port.
You will need a DB9 to RJ12 cable.

Upgrade completed to P1247V110-12290V205T-0316.bin

Inverter set back to lithium and updated the charge capacity to 210ah to cater for the 105ah capacity on the batteries. 

Solar Assistant now reports capacity correctly as 105 per pack. However, Charge Capacity reports as 90ah? huh

Interesting observation. Sunsynk logger shows SOC as 100%. Solar Assistant and RIOT shows 85% @ 53.4v and no charging is happening as the Sunsynk reads the batteries as full. 

Anyone else pick that up? I assume a full cycle will restore this? 

Edited by maxxis

7 minutes ago, maxxis said:

Upgrade completed to P1247V110-12290V205T-0316.bin

Inverter set back to lithium and updated the charge capacity to 210ah to cater for the 105ah capacity on the batteries. 

Solar Assistant now reports capacity correctly as 105 per pack. 

Interesting observation. Sunsynk logger shows SOC as 100%. Solar Assistant and RIOT shows 85% @ 53.4v and no charging is happening as the Sunsynk reads the batteries as full. 

Anyone else pick that up? I assume a full cycle will restore this? 

Mine did the same.

Takes a cycle to recalibrate the SoC.

Just now, system32 said:

Mine did the same.

Takes a cycle to recalibrate the SoC.

Thank you. 

I figured as much. Glad to know my batteries are 100% healthy at 286 cycles.

Will hopefully not drop from 38% to 0% instantly anymore. My fiance was not happy with the beeping at 2:00 this morning. 

So some good news.

The installer provided me with a cable and I have also updated the firmware.  So unfortunately I will not be able to test the update via the RJ45 cable.

Changed the settings back on the inverter and also got 85% SOC with no charging.  Switched on the timer and from 22:00 to 04:00 had a slow drop to 63%  Playing it safe for now cause 06:00 is load shedding here.

The PBMS tools also work thanks.  I just need to know where to look to confirm everything is fine with the firmware and what values I need to check.  I just see a bunch of numbers and I get all dizzy.  😖

4 hours ago, Robert1981 said:

So some good news.

The installer provided me with a cable and I have also updated the firmware.  So unfortunately I will not be able to test the update via the RJ45 cable.

Changed the settings back on the inverter and also got 85% SOC with no charging.  Switched on the timer and from 22:00 to 04:00 had a slow drop to 63%  Playing it safe for now cause 06:00 is load shedding here.

The PBMS tools also work thanks.  I just need to know where to look to confirm everything is fine with the firmware and what values I need to check.  I just see a bunch of numbers and I get all dizzy.  😖

I used pbms tools to confirm the firmware version - visible at the bottom.

@HubbleLithium

So ... after 3/4 months of trouble shooting and blaming it on a firmware update, I have confirmed that my Hubble AM-2 has failed.

On normal use, about a single cycle per day, my battery lost half its capacity in March 2022 (installation was end of Sept 2021).  Battery never went below 20% and was charged to 100% at least once a day - one of the timed slots at night on my Sunsynk.

It needs to be removed and sent into their service centre.  Hubble does not carry the cost of the failure in terms of removal and reinstallation.  They will only look at the device at their premises and getting it to them is, according them, my issue.  

If one applies this logic, in the long term the Hubbles are more cost than they are worth.  I am super disappointed after initially being a big Hubble fan and supporter.

It was great while it lasted.  I'll get this battery repaired / replaced under warranty and will probably look to make a change going forward.

18 minutes ago, JayN said:

It needs to be removed and sent into their service centre.  Hubble does not carry the cost of the failure in terms of removal and reinstallation.  They will only look at the device at their premises and getting it to them is, according them, my issue.

To be fair, which battery manufacturer carry the cost of removal and reinstallation during the warranty period? I’m very curious to find out. 

Edited by PowerUser

1 hour ago, JayN said:

@HubbleLithium

So ... after 3/4 months of trouble shooting and blaming it on a firmware update, I have confirmed that my Hubble AM-2 has failed.

On normal use, about a single cycle per day, my battery lost half its capacity in March 2022 (installation was end of Sept 2021).  Battery never went below 20% and was charged to 100% at least once a day - one of the timed slots at night on my Sunsynk.

If one applies this logic, in the long term the Hubbles are more cost than they are worth.  I am super disappointed after initially being a big Hubble fan and supporter.

It was great while it lasted.  I'll get this battery repaired / replaced under warranty and will probably look to make a change going forward.

Hi Jay. 

There is no battery manufacturer that will carry the cost of removal and installation, period. 

If you want to change to another brand, let me know how much u want for that Hubble. More than glad to take it off your hands at a fair price  

9 minutes ago, Leshen said:

Hi Jay. 

There is no battery manufacturer that will carry the cost of removal and installation, period. 

If you want to change to another brand, let me know how much u want for that Hubble. More than glad to take it off your hands at a fair price 

+1
I could do with a 5th battery.

It's not difficult to safely disconnect and unmount a wall mounted AM-2. Took me about 5 minutes with a crank spanner.