Sunsynk - CT Clamp

Bloubul7

2 hours ago, Vassen said:

Yes. It does. When the grid is present it will feed back to the non essential loads. When grid fails, solar can be used ONLY for the essential loads.  It will actually even use battery to power the non essential loads as long as grid is present. 

Sorry, I don’t understand why you would want to install it after the non essential loads and before the inverter. What’s the benefit of this. 

okay, I just read your original post again. If your installer installed it just before the inverter and after the non essential loads, then this should be changed. You are basically only using solar and battery for your essential loads... similar to an off grid inverter 

Thank you. 

I also don't understand why he installed it like that, i did question him when he was installing it, why he is doing it like that and got told it does not feed non essential loads.

wont go into too much detail. 

1 hour ago, Wade said:

Thank you. 

I also don't understand why he installed it like that, i did question him when he was installing it, why he is doing it like that and got told it does not feed non essential loads.

wont go into too much detail. 

It's somehow a difficult concept to grasp. The Sunsynk's grid feed is (very cleverly designed as) both input and output. Keith Gough discusses this in one of his Sunsynk training vids on Youtube.

17 hours ago, YellowTapemeasure said:

It's somehow a difficult concept to grasp. The Sunsynk's grid feed is (very cleverly designed as) both input and output. Keith Gough discusses this in one of his Sunsynk training vids on Youtube.

i did do a lot of reading up on the Sunsynk before getting it installed. I'm very impressed how smart the Sunsynk is and over the moon how its running. 

only thing i have as non essential is my oven and stove. so I'm not to bothered about my CT Coil, my parents house they got more on the non essential side and i would like the CT Coil moved as we had the same installer. 

i did watch quiet a few of his videos, i just find his voice dull and boring, i battle to watch more than 5 min.

you dont perhaps have the YouTube link specifically for the CT Coil.  

I contacted our installer and the reply i got was. "nope ..  it doesn't work that way. its it not a high VOLTAGE CT."

5 minutes ago, Wade said:

i did do a lot of reading up on the Sunsynk before getting it installed. I'm very impressed how smart the Sunsynk is and over the moon how its running. 

only thing i have as non essential is my oven and stove. so I'm not to bothered about my CT Coil, my parents house they got more on the non essential side and i would like the CT Coil moved as we had the same installer. 

i did watch quiet a few of his videos, i just find his voice dull and boring, i battle to watch more than 5 min.

I contacted our installer and the reply i got was. "nope ..  it doesn't work that way. its it not a high VOLTAGE CT."

No I don't have the link off hand, but I can refer you to the training manual

4 minutes ago, Wade said:

Lol at his reply. The CT is just a sensor measuring the current flow at a certain location and all your voltages on every wire is 220v. 

If you want the inverter to send any power back to loads before the inverter, the CT must be placed before these loads and not between them and the inverter. Basically if a non essential load is switched on, current will flow from the grid to supply the load. The CT will then detect this and tell the inverter. Depending on your settings, the inverter will then send power back through the grid connection until the CT measures zero current flow from the grid. 

It really is that simple. Maybe he just doesn't know that the inverter can send power back only as far as the CT coil. 

Just now, Achmat said:

Lol at his reply. The CT is just a sensor measuring the current flow at a certain location and all your voltages on every wire is 220v. 

If you want the inverter to send any power back to loads before the inverter, the CT must be placed before these loads and not between them and the inverter. Basically if a non essential load is switched on, current will flow from the grid to supply the load. The CT will then detect this and tell the inverter. Depending on your settings, the inverter will then send power back through the grid connection until the CT measures zero current flow from the grid. 

It really is that simple. Maybe he just doesn't know that the inverter can send power back only as far as the CT coil. 

Thank you.. it been my understanding all the time but keep getting told its not like that.

7 minutes ago, Backbone Energy said:

Hi Wade

Please have your installer assess and work on the CT before attempting to do anything yourself. Your installer is welcome to contact us for assistance if required.

I don't plan on doing anything, I leave the qualified people to do what they do best,  as I hate it when people try do my job. I will defiantly read up and knowledge my self before I buy or do something, if I find something i don't like them doing I'm going to go into more depth as I'm doing now. I came onto this form to find out who is a preferable Sunsynk installer and found you guys, so the frightening thing is its one of your installers that you recommended to me. He did a great job installing it at my place and at my Parents and ill recommend his installation, I just question his knowledge on the Sunsynk. 

26 minutes ago, Wade said:

Thank you.. it been my understanding all the time but keep getting told its not like that.

Maybe this will help him. You can clearly see the CT is immediately after the grid before the non essential loads. 

Screenshot_20210122-084130_Gallery.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Not to hijack the thread but I installed my 5kw sunsynk today and connected the white and black wires to the HM ports as per the manual.

However it does not seem to see the CT coil as there is no reading (CT: 0 Watts) nor anything displayed in the system flow diagram.

Currently just running in UPS mode.

Any advice?

Could be a faulty sensor?

Thanks

image.png.807dbb59a3997f430fbd9d6322f1f89a.png

Edited by branderplank
spelling

To add to this, it seems my Empire Hexing keypad won't connect to my smart meter unless I fully turn off the inverter.

The moment the inverter is running, even just in UPS mode, I get a COMMs failure message when entering any type of code.

(Also have an alarm light flashing on my meter outside - not sure if this is related though)

Anyone else experience this?

43 minutes ago, branderplank said:

To add to this, it seems my Empire Hexing keypad won't connect to my smart meter unless I fully turn off the inverter.

The moment the inverter is running, even just in UPS mode, I get a COMMs failure message when entering any type of code.

(Also have an alarm light flashing on my meter outside - not sure if this is related though)

Anyone else experience this?

It can happen with other inverters as well. I think you need to have the keypad connected before the inverter. 

22 hours ago, branderplank said:

Hi Guys

Not to hijack the thread but I installed my 5kw sunsynk today and connected the white and black wires to the HM ports as per the manual.

However it does not seem to see the CT coil as there is no reading (CT: 0 Watts) nor anything displayed in the system flow diagram.

Currently just running in UPS mode.

Any advice?

Could be a faulty sensor?

Thanks

Managed to figure out the problem on the CT clamp

Really simple. I have three phases coming in but only use one. Seems that the colour coding inside did not match up with the colours coming in.

First tested it on neutral and got a reading, then tested other phases.

CT clamp now reading perfectly

19 hours ago, Achmat said:

It can happen with other inverters as well. I think you need to have the keypad connected before the inverter. 

The funny thing is that the plug circuit on which my keypad is connected, is the non-essential circuit which does not run through the inverter.

Will play around with this one a bit more.

Read somewhere on another thread about inverters "injecting" some king of frequency that could interfere with communication of the keypad.

8 hours ago, swazz99jhb said:

Gooday.

I won't be connecting solar yet.

Will I thus connect the CT on the Grid power go into the inverter after the essential load. (like Wade's picture) 

Thanks

If you only going to use it as a backup ups system then you don't need the CT clamp. 

If you are planning to eventually add solar then you can still install the CT on the main grid supply before the non essential loads. 

23 hours ago, swazz99jhb said:

Gooday.

I won't be connecting solar yet.

Will I thus connect the CT on the Grid power go into the inverter after the essential load. (like Wade's picture) 

Thanks

The nice about the CT clamp just after the meter (so to speak) is that you start getting stats on your entire household use from the inverter. You see the peaks and the base level of use.

From my perspective it was good to see this

• 5 months later...

Hi 

CT coil needs to be installed after non-essential loads, just before the grid meter as per sunsynk manual. Reason being that you want all your excess solar PV power to go to the non-essential loads first before reaching the grid meter. Having a CT coil placed just before non-essential loads like in your diagram above will prevent power being supplied to the non-essential loads when inverter performs "zero export" 

• 4 weeks later...

I am getting a negative watt reading on the CT before the CT wires are even plugged in. When the CT is plugged in I get positive readings but it seems to under read what is really being drawn from the grid. This is all resulting in me using a lot more power than I should be. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this kind of interference? 

C4E9EB68-2E4B-4EAB-ADF6-A2BCA1B7A3DC.jpeg

30 minutes ago, danamix1 said:

I am getting a negative watt reading on the CT before the CT wires are even plugged in. When the CT is plugged in I get positive readings but it seems to under read what is really being drawn from the grid. This is all resulting in me using a lot more power than I should be. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this kind of interference? 

C4E9EB68-2E4B-4EAB-ADF6-A2BCA1B7A3DC.jpeg

How far is the CT from the inverter? 

Pic of where its connected on the inverter and where the clamp is. 

Also make sure you are on the latest software. 

The wire is shielded and a twisted pair of 1mm wire about 25 - 30 m. That reading is when the wires are unplugged. The clamp is on the incoming supply from grid to my non essential loads. The new pic is when the wires are connected in 3 and 4 of my 5k Sunsynk. 

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-06 at 10.18.17 PM.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys. 

i just had my 8kw sunsynk installed with 16x455w pannels.

My usage during the day is around 1100kw per hour and that can be supplied with the pannels, but my pre paid meter still loses units. Around 2 to 3 units per hour. How is this possible ?

3 hours ago, Werner. said:

Hi Guys. 

i just had my 8kw sunsynk installed with 16x455w pannels.

My usage during the day is around 1100kw per hour and that can be supplied with the pannels, but my pre paid meter still loses units. Around 2 to 3 units per hour. How is this possible ?

Is your CT coil installed in the correct place? And make sure you have "limit to load" unticked so you can supplement the non essentials.