High pitched noise from Sunsynk 5 kW inverter

Tariq

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, ipodmusicman said:

Hi folks,

I had my 5kw Sunsynk installed today and I've noticed the high pitch coming from everywhere in the house!  My son even noticed it as well.

Is there anything that I can do about this?  Is there anything that my installer can do?

Unfortunately not . Quite disappointing to see the new units are still doing this .  I wonder if this is an issue with only the 5kw inverter or the 8kw as well.

I have a 5kW Deye that I installed about two years ago. Same internals as the Sunsynk. I could never hear the high pitched noise, but Eskom recently installed split-prepaid meters which use powerline communication (G3-PLC operates on the powerline at 35KHz to 95KHz) to connect the keypad in your house to the actual meter outside in the street, I did some investigating. The noise the inverter creates is so bad that it actually prevents not just my keypad from communicating, but everyone else on the same phase as me while the inverter is connected to the grid.

There is a significant peak at 15KHz which is in the audible rand and is the high-pitched noise everyone is hearing. The inverter also creates harmonics a few orders down, meaning that every 15KHz there is a peak. I am seriously questioning the inverter's NRS certfication which requires harmonics to be with a reasonable range and interoperation with other main signalling devices (such as the Eskom prepaid meter). 

Attached is a frequency domain analysis on the powerline with the inverter on. You can clearly see the harmonics at every 15KHz. Also attached is a frequency analysis in the audible range showing a peak at 15KHz. This was taken in my kitchen where there are no appliances or audio devices that produce sound. 

I contacted the manufacturer regarding the issue and their response after upgrading the firmware was to buy a powerline filter. This shouldn't be necessary if the filtering in the inverter is adequate. Once again, no idea how they achieved NRS certification.

InverterOn_78khz.png

IMG_7879.PNG

32 minutes ago, recre8 said:

I have a 5kW Deye that I installed about two years ago. Same internals as the Sunsynk. I could never hear the high pitched noise, but Eskom recently installed split-prepaid meters which use powerline communication (G3-PLC operates on the powerline at 35KHz to 95KHz) to connect the keypad in your house to the actual meter outside in the street, I did some investigating. The noise the inverter creates is so bad that it actually prevents not just my keypad from communicating, but everyone else on the same phase as me while the inverter is connected to the grid.

There is a significant peak at 15KHz which is in the audible rand and is the high-pitched noise everyone is hearing. The inverter also creates harmonics a few orders down, meaning that every 15KHz there is a peak. I am seriously questioning the inverter's NRS certfication which requires harmonics to be with a reasonable range and interoperation with other main signalling devices (such as the Eskom prepaid meter). 

Attached is a frequency domain analysis on the powerline with the inverter on. You can clearly see the harmonics at every 15KHz. Also attached is a frequency analysis in the audible range showing a peak at 15KHz. This was taken in my kitchen where there are no appliances or audio devices that produce sound. 

I contacted the manufacturer regarding the issue and their response after upgrading the firmware was to buy a powerline filter. This shouldn't be necessary if the filtering in the inverter is adequate. Once again, no idea how they achieved NRS certification.

InverterOn_78khz.png

IMG_7879.PNG

Firstly, I think the switching frequency of the output changed after NRS certification (from arount 19kHz to 15kHz) - which should IMO nullify the current certification. Apart from that, there does not seem to be a hard limit on the harmonics produced, except for the THD which is as a percentage of the output power. I'm sure the 15kHz peak you see does not affect that measurement much. I personally would not buy an inverter with a switching frequency less than 20kHz.

8 minutes ago, Nexuss said:

I actually tried a line filter but it did not help .

I installed a filter specifically to get the Eskom keypad working. Still having issues in my house certain times of the day, but at least the other houses on my phase now have communication. The filter didn't do much to the high-pitched noise though. A filter operating at such a low frequency would also be quite large physically. The level of the noise the inverter produces is just far to much for the filter I bought to fully manage. 

But it should in theory be possible to filter out the high pitched noise with an external filter. Practically, the manufacturer should have done it. 

Edited by recre8

3 minutes ago, Nexuss said:

I actually tried a line filter but it did not help .

I can guarantee that the correct filter will solve this issue (but it will be rather large and I have not seen an off-the-shelf solution). The correct filter should have been installed in the inverter but clearly is not.

Just for clarity - a common mode filter will not work, as this is not common mode noise - pretty much all of it will be passed through a common mode filter.

3 minutes ago, P1000 said:

Firstly, I think the switching frequency of the output changed after NRS certification (from arount 19kHz to 15kHz) - which should IMO nullify the current certification. Apart from that, there does not seem to be a hard limit on the harmonics produced, except for the THD which is as a percentage of the output power. I'm sure the 15kHz peak you see does not affect that measurement much. I personally would not buy an inverter with a switching frequency less than 20kHz.

Interesting... question is whether the switching frequency changed in hardware or in firmware? Likely it should be in firmware given that its a simple PWM. But I agree that it would then invalidate the NRS certification. 

3 minutes ago, recre8 said:

Interesting... question is whether the switching frequency changed in hardware or in firmware? Likely it should be in firmware given that its a simple PWM. But I agree that it would then invalidate the NRS certification. 

I am talking under correction. This is just from bits of information I pieced together. So feel free to file under conspiracy theories...

Switching frequency can be changed with a firmware update.

Technically any firmware update should be re-certified, but somehow that is not a requirement? It is very easy to remove safety features with a firmware update, whether by accident or otherwise.

Edited by P1000

11 minutes ago, P1000 said:

I can guarantee that the correct filter will solve this issue (but it will be rather large and I have not seen an off-the-shelf solution). The correct filter should have been installed in the inverter but clearly is not.

Just for clarity - a common mode filter will not work, as this is not common mode noise - pretty much all of it will be passed through a common mode filter.

Thanks , what would be the correct filter ? 

https://za.rs-online.com/web/p/power-line-filters/7805029

That is the one i tried without success.

Morning folks, I posted this to the Sunsynk forums and got this response from Peter at Sunsynk.

"Hi Glen, not sure where in the world you find yourself, we are working with Deye to establish the cause of the problem (not sure the true cause yet) and will look to updating this over the next few days. Just to check, is this noise coming from the appliances or from the inverter itself?"

Lets hold thumbs and see where this goes.  I did respond in the forum to Peter so hopefully something good comes out of this.

7 minutes ago, Nexuss said:

Thanks , what would be the correct filter ? 

https://za.rs-online.com/web/p/power-line-filters/7805029

That is the one i tried without success.

I'm returning this one because I bought the other way more expensive one: https://za.rs-online.com/web/p/power-line-filters/7546061/

Judging by the datasheet, the lower current version (1-4A) shows OK-ish (20dB) attenuation around 15KHz with differential mode noise. Might be worth a try. 

image.png.90dfe2922368f7cae567f3b596e1ec08.png

7 minutes ago, ipodmusicman said:

Hi folks, I got Sunsynk here in SA to update the firmware which updated from M 3.3.7.1 to M 3.3.7.4.  I'll only be able to check tonight if this helped or not.

My Deye was updated to 3.3.77.4 a few weeks ago when I reported the issue to Deye. The update did not fix it. 

• 1 month later...

Any luck reducing the noise?

I've had 2 5kw Sunsynks. My inverter is in the garage, so I'm not too concerned about the audible noise from it, the problem I have is the noise from the DB in the kitchen. I'd assume 15-16khz, just a constant high frequency noise regardless of whether the inverter is using battery, PV or grid.

Hi Members. 
I got my 5kw Sunsynk inverter installed past weekend and also have multiple devices through the house emit the same high frequency noise. Worst is my PC power supply and screen as that is where I sit and work from home. Would you guys say the route to take is to report it to Sunsynk SA and try get them to sort it out? Sounds like there is some hope with others not experiencing the noise. 
I have to add that some people older than me don’t hear the noise like I do. I would not want to have to wait 4 years for my ears to age to get rid of the constant buzzing :(