MORE ESKOM WOES... is that possible?

Gabriël

45 minutes ago, Gabriël said:

now THAT would vastly improve the 'peace rating' of this country :D

Careful what you wish for. I don't know who it was, someone I know, he pointed out how in South Africa our media is fairly central. For better or worse, the media is somewhat of a single entity. In America, the media falls into two camps. There are two medias, which you could roughly call the CNN team and the Fox team.

An interesting site to follow for American news is ASND. The stuff that goes unreported... 🙂

44 minutes ago, plonkster said:

An interesting site to follow for American news is ASND. The stuff that goes unreported... 🙂

i checked that site and it has merits, but they are few and far between... the problem there is they in some way try not to be to heavy on sensitive issues here and there thus ending up being pc in their own subjectve way - you can't have it both ways and that is what they end up being; thus compromising the truth; trying to pick up the turd at the clean end, sort of 🤪

FYI...

Morning XXX. I am sorry but the bus will not be going to the XXX on Sunday due to work commitment. Eskom in a crisis just before election and I am in the middle of the mess

Unions threaten to shut Eskom down totally until after election. I am the XXXX on generation. We are having things rough and it's going to get a lot worse the next couple of days.

G

4 minutes ago, georgelza said:

FYI...

Morning XXX. I am sorry but the bus will not be going to the XXX on Sunday due to work commitment. Eskom in a crisis just before election and I am in the middle of the mess

Unions threaten to shut Eskom down totally until after election. I am the XXXX on generation. We are having things rough and it's going to get a lot worse the next couple of days.

G

XXX

So what happened at the end of March was essentially what happens in many households: You run out of money before month-end. Eskom had to get a loan fast, which they did (from China), but then there were delays in the money being paid in, so they had to get bridging finance (from ABSA). So we had those few exhilarating days of load=shedding. And then it disappeared almost as if forever... but I am pretty sure things were no less tight at the end of April, we probably just didn't hear about it too much. Being as tight as it was, and given that they are burning millions per day in Diesel... I really really would not be surprised if it all falls apart shortly after election day... or perhaps even sooner. When you run things that tight...

1 minute ago, plonkster said:

So what happened at the end of March was essentially what happens in many households: You run out of money before month-end. Eskom had to get a loan fast, which they did (from China), but then there were delays in the money being paid in, so they had to get bridging finance (from ABSA). So we had those few exhilarating days of load=shedding. And then it disappeared almost as if forever... but I am pretty sure things were no less tight at the end of April, we probably just didn't hear about it too much. Being as tight as it was, and given that they are burning millions per day in Diesel... I really really would not be surprised if it all falls apart shortly after election day... or perhaps even sooner. When you run things that tight...

Not 100%... they knew they were going to need finances for their end March cash flow, they approached China months ago for this. to then make this up we had the finance Minister and ABSA step in using some fancy foot work, as if Eskom missed a payment due then all loans might have come to bare, by not only Eskom, but possible any load for which the Gov signed surety for.

Separate issue from the end March events. That was "suppose" to have been maintenance, again, not having been done, and systems failing, and at the same time... money avail for diesel not there, with above.

Listening to my friend, sounds like the unions are going to be flexing their muscles the next day/2/3...

G

1 minute ago, seant said:

Any idea on how much diesel their turbine devour on a daily or monthly basis? I've heard figures ranging form millions to hundreds of millions

In February EWN reported they burn 100 million a day. In March, EWN reported that it was 5Bn total for a period of three to five months, so if we give them the benefit of the doubt it is a billion a month, or 300 million a day. So somewhere between 100 and 300 million per day.

Don't know how many people here do social media, but I saw at least three piggy-back armchair campaigns on the back of the Notre-Damme disaster. The first one said... wow, isn't it awesome how we could get 500 million together in just 24 hours. Imagine if we could do that with world hunger! The second one said the same, except it was a day later so it was 700 million and they wanted to save the Rhino. The third one was the same, except by now it was a billion and they wanted to clean up the plastic in the ocean.

All of these are of course brilliant causes... except the whole time I was wondering how people think that a billion USD is a lot of money... that it is even half-capable of accomplishing the jobs that already attract billions in funding. And then I thought another thing... you know that Eskom burns about that much Diesel in a year? So if you're going to complain about people giving money to fix up a beautiful old building... my goodness should you also complain about Eskom's Diesel habits!

🙂

On 2019/04/28 at 3:56 PM, Johandup said:

I would love to see a YouTube video of them in action

had a look at the Atlantis open cycle turbine power plant today. There was no action except that I almost got shot. An Eskom guy was not happy that I was filming. Anyway after some explaining he calmed down and was quite friendly. He told me that today the grid is stable and there is no need to produce power. There is a lot of construction work going on there at the moment.  Lots of new Siemens equipment all over. He confirmed, that they are substantially increasing the power generating capacity.   

7 minutes ago, Johandup said:

One can only guess at their hidden agenda.....

JA, like the engineers helping them lately is suggesting it. 🙂 

I have decided, Eskom is not going to fail. 

Why?

Because of complete and utter ineptitude on their part.
To break something the size of Eskom / SAA / Post Office / SARS is not easy. You need to know what you are doing. 

😜

7 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

You need to know what you are doing. 

profound insight indeed 🤣

the kind of wisdom which keeps me coming back to this forum 😎

Edited by Gabriël