Growatt Inverter + Pylontech Batteries : BMS Comms Guide

SiliconKid

5 hours ago, Strauss said:

Firmwear updated 

Screenshot_20201126-175620.png

Please check your model number. It looks different . Your inverter has ...WPV. You need to check compatibility. Note: If you using the ISP tool first choose the COM Port, than browse the firmware file, close the port and lastly click flash. 

Remember to reset your inverter to defaults. SiliconeKit has a detail explanation on the first page. 

11 minutes ago, Iss said:

Please check your model number. It looks different . Your inverter has ...WPV. You need to check compatibility. Note: If you using the ISP tool first choose the COM Port, than browse the firmware file, close the port and lastly click flash. 

Remember to reset your inverter to defaults. SiliconeKit has a detail explanation on the first page. 

Ok works fine will see the diffrence tomorrow i have reset both inverters all i noticed was my inverter were both on sigale i have changed it back to Pal is that correct?

21 hours ago, Strauss said:

Ok works fine will see the diffrence tomorrow i have reset both inverters all i noticed was my inverter were both on sigale i have changed it back to Pal is that correct?

The way I understand it. That it’s best practice to reset the inverter before running the firmware update. If you unsure rather check with your supplier. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All has anyone of you using 2 x 5kW Growatt Inverters connected in parallel managed to have both Inverters monitored via the WiFi dataloggers through to the Shinephone App? If please let me know how did you do it. I have tried for weeks now and only one is working. I replaced the original datalogger with the new one I got from GC Solar it did not work. I a new one from Bundu Power and its still not working. I'm sure there is something wrong I'm doing that I can't figure out how to resolve it. Thanks in advance 

23 hours ago, Augyman said:

Hi All has anyone of you using 2 x 5kW Growatt Inverters connected in parallel managed to have both Inverters monitored via the WiFi dataloggers through to the Shinephone App? If please let me know how did you do it. I have tried for weeks now and only one is working. I replaced the original datalogger with the new one I got from GC Solar it did not work. I a new one from Bundu Power and its still not working. I'm sure there is something wrong I'm doing that I can't figure out how to resolve it. Thanks in advance 

Hi, last week I had 2 x Growatt SPF 5000 ES inverters installed. The both came with a WiFi datalogger and my installer configured both of them on my ShinePhone app and they work as expected. Material was also supplied by GC Solar.

Whereabouts are you located, perhaps my installer would be able to assist?

4 minutes ago, Tsa said:

Thats great news. Does he understand english and the issue with the firmware? :) 

Not sure he knows about the firmware, someone might have to report it again so that he can get the full story. So far, he seems to understand my issue without having to send many emails back and forth. Which seems to be good 🙂

My shineWifi dongles dongles have been working fine for the past months, since July. But few days ago, they just went disconnected and have been disconnected since. The funny thing is that, when I check on the my datalogger list, they show as being ONLINE and the LED status is Flashing Blue. Which means they should be connected 

10 minutes ago, hoohloc said:

Not sure he knows about the firmware, someone might have to report it again so that he can get the full story. So far, he seems to understand my issue without having to send many emails back and forth. Which seems to be good 🙂

Well thats a good start already :)

10 minutes ago, hoohloc said:

My shineWifi dongles dongles have been working fine for the past months, since July. But few days ago, they just went disconnected and have been disconnected since. The funny thing is that, when I check on the my datalogger list, they show as being ONLINE and the LED status is Flashing Blue. Which means they should be connected 

Yup happens to me every now and then as well. I have just accepted that fact that I need to remove the dongle, leave it for a minute and put it back and all is working fine again. 

On 25/11/2020 at 17:52, Iss said:

Je suis actuellement exécuté 500.09 / 002.03. J'ai dû exécuter 3 mises à jour pour le faire fonctionner. Un pour l'onduleur, puis BMS et le dernier pour la carte de communication sur l'onduleur. 

89F00097-78F8-44EE-8244-998AB49E8A59.jpeg

On 25/11/2020 at 17:52, Iss said:

Je suis actuellement exécuté 500.09 / 002.03. J'ai dû exécuter 3 mises à jour pour le faire fonctionner. Un pour l'onduleur, puis BMS et le dernier pour la carte de communication sur l'onduleur. 

89F00097-78F8-44EE-8244-998AB49E8A59.jpeg

Hello my Dear ISS, I also have similar problems with my three SPF5000 growatt in parallel and three groups of pylontech batteries connected, using the LV-HUB from pylontech and the rs485 / CAN HUB from growatt, to gather the communication from the inverters to  the LV -HUB.  my problem is that with my three groups of 18 pylontech batteries, the inverter only displays 8A while I have a power of 14kw of solar panels.  I have to put on USER to be able to charge the batteries.  but with the USER parameters the SOC permanently displays 100%.  I ask for help.  I am in contact with my supplier in china and growatt but no solution on the horizon.  not sure if i need to update the firmware as well, inverters are currently showing version 500.06 / 002/00 / null.  please send me the latest software versions and the necessary explanations.

12 minutes ago, Bafaro69 said:

Bonjour mon cher ISS, j'ai également des problèmes similaires avec mes trois growatt SPF5000 en parallèle et trois groupes de batteries pylontech connectés, en utilisant le LV-HUB de pylontech et le rs485 / CAN HUB de growatt, pour recueillir la communication des onduleurs vers le LV -HUB. mon problème est qu'avec mes trois groupes de 18 batteries pylontech, l'onduleur n'affiche que 8A alors que j'ai une puissance de 14kw de panneaux solaires. Je dois mettre USER pour pouvoir recharger les batteries. mais avec les paramètres USER, le SOC affiche en permanence 100%. Je demande de l'aide. Je suis en contact avec mon fournisseur en Chine et en growatt mais pas de solution à l'horizon. Je ne sais pas si je dois également mettre à jour le firmware, les onduleurs affichent actuellement la version 500.06 / 002/00 / null. merci de m'envoyer les dernières versions du logiciel et les explications nécessaires.

My mail adress is : [email protected] 

On 09/05/2020 at 12:59, chaz said:

Salut SiliconKid 

Je rencontre les mêmes problèmes.Pouvez-vous s'il vous plaît m'envoyer les mises à jour du firmware ainsi que les instructions 

Merci d'apprécier votre aide 

[email protected]

Hello Chaz, can you send me the same files received from SiliconKid, I can't reach it.  [email protected].

thank you

On 18/05/2020 at 09:41, j5_immortal said:

Salut SiliconKid,

J'ai installé :

1 x onduleur hybride Growatt SPF 5000TL HVM 5kVA / 5kW. 

4 piles Pylontech US2000.

Panneaux solaires 15 x 340 watts

J'ai suivi vos instructions pour le firmware et il fonctionne à 100%, merci.
J'ai un problème, je me rends compte que vous n'avez pas de panneaux photovoltaïques, mais peut-être que vous rencontrez ce problème: le courant de charge maximal lors de l'utilisation des panneaux solaires pour charger la pile de batteries 4 x Pylontech US200 est réglé à un maximum de 25A ce qui est bien trop bas pour charger les 4 batteries (chacune est spécifiée pour un 25 A recommandé) pendant le temps de charge du panneau PV. Il semble que le micrologiciel ne permet pas au réglage 02 d'être réglé sur un courant de charge maximum plus élevé, ou l'onduleur ne voit qu'une seule batterie Pylontech. Le commutateur DIP de la batterie principale est réglé sur 1000 et les autres sur 0000. Vous chargez à partir du réseau, à quel courant chargez-vous et avez-vous des suggestions à ce sujet?

Merci

Hello J5-lmmortal said, I think I have the same type of problem as you had.  I would like to know if you have been able to find a solution so that I can use your experience.  I have three inverters in parallel and these show only 8a maximum charge current while I have 18 pylontech batteries.  I cannot charge the batteries during the day with only 8a.  I updated the inverter software to the latest version (500 09) but it's still the same.

On 23/05/2020 at 14:48, Landé said:

salut

Avoir le même problème

Notre système
2 onduleurs Growatt 5kva
15 panneaux solaires 340w
3 batteries pylontech
2 US3000
1 US2000

Le firmware a été téléchargé sur les onduleurs. Maintenant, le courant de charge solaire maximal (le pragramme 2 sur l'onduleur est à 16 et ne peut pas être modifié), il est trop faible pour charger les batteries pleines. La charge maximale arrête la charge du panneau et l'alimentation à 800w.

Si les batteries se chargent à partir du réseau, elles vont jusqu'à 1600w.

Existe-t-il un moyen d'augmenter le courant de charge maximal?

Merci
Lande

20200523_134953.jpg

Hello, I think I have the same type of problem as you had.  I would like to know if you have been able to find a solution so that I can use your experience.  I have three inverters in parallel and these show only 8a maximum charge current while I have 18 pylontech batteries.  I cannot charge the batteries during the day with only 8a.  I updated the inverter software to the latest version (500 09) but it's still the same.

On 2020/12/27 at 3:50 PM, Bafaro69 said:

Hello J5-lmmortal said, I think I have the same type of problem as you had.  I would like to know if you have been able to find a solution so that I can use your experience.  I have three inverters in parallel and these show only 8a maximum charge current while I have 18 pylontech batteries.  I cannot charge the batteries during the day with only 8a.  I updated the inverter software to the latest version (500 09) but it's still the same.

Hi Bafaro69,  I am glad you reported back on the latest software, I was wondering if someone with a similar setup than me has tested the charging current with the BMS.  I have 2 x Growatt SPF 5000TL inverters, 24 PV (12 x 340w and 12 x 365w).  I have one stack of 8 x US2000 Pylontech batteries.

I  am keeping with my setup (05 -US2) as follows which seems to be working just fine up till now to get my batteries charged during the day, with combined charging current up to 100 Amps when active load requirement allows. This setup will normally get my battery stack fully charged up by 13H00, keeping it charged until sundown which will then see me through for the night.  I am 100% off-grid most of the time during sunny days.  The monitor app might not show the charge percentage of the batteries accurately (BMS cable not connected) but you can always check the battery voltage on the info (i) icon or on the detailed logs.  As soon as you see the PV switches off during the day, you know your batteries are fully loaded.  The internal battery BMS will switch off the charging current from the inverters when the batteries are fully charged and you will see the battery voltage indicated on the inverter jump up to +/-53V due to the battery charging load being removed. (My BMS cable is not connected to the inverters). I am quite satisfied with the performance and functioning of the system set up like this.

First set up function 05 - US2 and then all the other settings and double check again after adjusting all settings:

01  - SBU
02  - 80A
04 - SDS
05 - US2
11 - 20A
12 - 47.7v
13 - 48.3v
14 - OSO
19 - 53.3v
20 - 53.3v
21 - 47.5v

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I tried to update my Growatt inverter firmware to 500.008 and it failed. Now it continues to get stuck after it erases the hard drive. It does not continue to the next package.

I tried to follow the instructions regarding failure couple of times with no luck.

Has anyone ever experience the same problem and how did you overcome it. Currently inverter is not working and the lights on the screen are off however, if you run the tool to upgrade, it picks it up, erases the hard drive then get stuck on send...

Hope to hear from anyone. Thank you

Hello Silicon Kid or some other experienced user of Growatt, I am beginner in solar and up for now I just bought 6 pcs of 375 w Canadian solar modules. I heard that Growatt inverters are good for normal price and I want to buy Growatt inverter. I also want to buy 2 pieces of Pylontech 2,4 Kw baterries litijum bank. Already ten days I try to find out which growatt will be OK for me. In my instaling place is no electrical grid. My Growat will never be connected to public grid, just some times to generator if there will not be sun for more days. There will be 1KW AirCond.  load and washing machine sometimes, and tv set, computer and lights. I want to buy 5000 or 6000 W inverter that with him I can start and work with 2,2 kw circular saw and 2 kw angle grinder, but not on same time. I found out that best solution for storage is li fe batteries. I read that all of this batteries modul have built in BMS circuit for protection. But I recognised that even better working is with CAN or RS 845 communication cable between bateries and inverter.  How can I see best growatt inverter for this would be Hybrid SPH 5000 or 6000, which have communication RJ 45 connection. But unfortunatelly this series with 5000 or 6000w is not allowed in Germany because of some wrong phase shift. The second solution is SPF 5000TL HVM/HVM-P  like you mentioned that you own. But here in Europe is problem that Type you have SPF 5000TL HVM/HVM-P   not have the RJ 45 connector. You can see that in data sheet for this type.  Only  SPF TL 5000 ES and SPF TL WPV have this connector.  If the inverter dont have this connector you can not feed the Litijum bateries with bigger current than lead acid,  which they can take? I see that all of you in forum have a lot of problems. I want to avoid problems, but for first  i must buy right components. Please can someone advice what to buy for my way of use? Please be someone so kind.

Best regards to all!

Janez       

On 2021/01/23 at 3:10 PM, Janez Banko said:

Hello Silicon Kid or some other experienced user of Growatt, I am beginner in solar and up for now I just bought 6 pcs of 375 w Canadian solar modules. I heard that Growatt inverters are good for normal price and I want to buy Growatt inverter. I also want to buy 2 pieces of Pylontech 2,4 Kw baterries litijum bank. Already ten days I try to find out which growatt will be OK for me. In my instaling place is no electrical grid. My Growat will never be connected to public grid, just some times to generator if there will not be sun for more days. There will be 1KW AirCond.  load and washing machine sometimes, and tv set, computer and lights. I want to buy 5000 or 6000 W inverter that with him I can start and work with 2,2 kw circular saw and 2 kw angle grinder, but not on same time. I found out that best solution for storage is li fe batteries. I read that all of this batteries modul have built in BMS circuit for protection. But I recognised that even better working is with CAN or RS 845 communication cable between bateries and inverter.  How can I see best growatt inverter for this would be Hybrid SPH 5000 or 6000, which have communication RJ 45 connection. But unfortunatelly this series with 5000 or 6000w is not allowed in Germany because of some wrong phase shift. The second solution is SPF 5000TL HVM/HVM-P  like you mentioned that you own. But here in Europe is problem that Type you have SPF 5000TL HVM/HVM-P   not have the RJ 45 connector. You can see that in data sheet for this type.  Only  SPF TL 5000 ES and SPF TL WPV have this connector.  If the inverter dont have this connector you can not feed the Litijum bateries with bigger current than lead acid,  which they can take? I see that all of you in forum have a lot of problems. I want to avoid problems, but for first  i must buy right components. Please can someone advice what to buy for my way of use? Please be someone so kind.

Best regards to all!

Janez       

Hi Janez

I have the SPF 5000TL  inverters but do not use it with the batteries connected to the inverter RJ45 (although  it does have the connector and option) due to charging current limitations on the BMS when using it connected to the inverter.  In Use mode you can adjust the charging current to charge at the max rated by the Pylontech batteries.  I charge 4 x 2.4Kw pylontech batteries at 80A with 12 x 165W PV when they can deliver without problems.  See my previous post for the settings I use.  The internal BMS of the Pylontech will sort out the charging even if not connected to the inverter.  The inverter will not accurately show the battery capacity in percentages but you can still monitor the voltage graph of the battery pack on the app to see the detail of charge/discharge.  

• 4 weeks later...

Soooo whats the latest version, patch, BMS version, etc everyone is on? What has been fixed? What is still an issue? 

This side my biggest issue is still the losing of data every once in a while. So no dataflow and datapoints on the app and website. Just fixes itself eventually hours later or unplug en reinsert the wifi dongle would help. 

Still also running in USE mode. I gave up on the Li mode :(

I am on the original version which came with the Inverter and it's running well on the USE as well. One morning after having a cup of coffee my power went off I checked and found that my 2 x 5kW Growatt in parallel were off and no alarm noise no display. My 3 x 4.8kWh LiFePo4 batteries all had red lights. I switched on the bypass switch for grid supply before all hell broke loose from kids and my wife. On checking the batteries I discovered that they were drained to a extent that they could not turn on the Inverters. On that day boy it was very sunny but the Inverters could not charge the batteries as they were totally dead. I went to a couple of solar shops with the hope that I could get a 48V charger to raise the battery voltage so that the Inverters could be activated. Guess what they were talking of the high price ($1000,00 plus) and two weeks waiting period. I tried to the battery supplier who was so mad with installation and the settings and couldn't help as he kept on talking about forfeiting the warantees on the batteries. I left the system for a day and the following morning I woke up to the noise of alarms both inverters were on and giving all sorts of error codes. The obvious ones were 04 and 20. I went back to basic invert settings just to give batteries a charge with the grid power. I hate to say that Li settings on the Inverter was a total waste of time and battery life. So far everything is working and would not bother the Inverters with Li settings as the Battery BMS is more than capable.